Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash counter increment not working Post 302903878 by clx on Friday 30th of May 2014 09:28:33 AM
Old 05-30-2014
Code:
myVar=$((myVar+1))  #note that there is no $ sign in myVar 
myVar=`expr $myVar + 1` #note that there has to be $ sign in myVar

This User Gave Thanks to clx For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counter / increment problem within echo stmt

Simple script trying to increment a counter within an echo statement never gets past 1 - PLEASE HELP! Thanks. ~~~~~~~~~~~ #!/bin/sh stepup() { STEP=`expr $STEP + 1` echo $STEP } # # Initialize variables # STEP=0 echo "Counter Value: `stepup`" echo "Counter Value:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blaze
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment counter in ksh

Hello, I am making an increment counter in ksh. So i write a number in a temporary file and when I execute my script I read this file and I make +1. But how can I make this with a number with 6 digits , example 000009 + 1 = 000010 ... .... .... 000099 + 1 = 000100 Do anyone know... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: steiner
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bash script to increment a digit in filename

Hi guys, Can someone help me out with this: I have a directory with files like the following, GHost++ 2010-03-14 04-01 DotaCash RD us_ca LC #7 (44m19s).w3g GHost++ 2010-03-14 04-06 DotaCash AP us_ca LC #8 (42m24s).w3g GHost++ 2010-03-14 04-07 DotaCash AR us_ca LC #10 (08m23s).w3g ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbjlee17
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop with a counter on a constant in bash

Hello Everyone, I'm in need of assistance on creating a script with a counter on a certain string. Basically this script opens a log file and displays certain log data. There are two key words in the log. START and FINISH. In between the START and FINISH is a variable ACTNUMBER. It will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rxc23816
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

increment counter as suffix starting with the rightmost digit

Hi, I would like to add a suffix to a file name but maintain the suffix length to 5 digits. For eg, output > 1st_file.00001, 2nd_file.00002...10th_file.00010....100th_file.00100 Can anyone please advise me on how to go about it? Platform: SunOS mps201a 5.9 Generic_118558-39 sun4u... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment a variable in unix bash

Hello There, I have been trying to increment the value of variable to 1, 2, 3 etc. but, it displays 1 1+1 1+1+1 ..... :wall: Could anyone help out with this? for i in *.* do s=`expr $s+1` echo $s j=$i$j mv $i $j done Any help is appreciated? (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: amrutha0303
24 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash 4.0 increment variable

Hi there everyone! This is my first post so be gentle. I have a small bash script that is extracting 3 line every 3 lines. I got the AWK part but i cant do the loop part. #!/bin/bash export line=`awk 'END { print NR }' btnew` echo $line for i in {1..$line..3} #increment do echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theodorosGreece
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison of fields then increment a counter reading line by line in a file

Hi, i have a scenario were i should compare a few fields from each line then increment a variable based on that. Example file 989878|8999|Y|0|Y|N|V 989878|8999|Y|0|N|N|V 989878|8999|Y|2344|Y|N|V i have 3 conditions to check and increment a variable on every line condition 1 if ( $3... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvankj
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash menu item counter

We have a simple menu with prompt of menu numbers to user. It is still under construction. Is there a way to "count" the menu choices so the prompt maximum count can be changed dynamically? See attached TODO note in code read_options(){ local choice # the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
7 Replies
BASHBUG(1)							      bashbug								BASHBUG(1)

NAME
bashbug - report a bug in bash SYNOPSIS
bashbug [--help] [--version] [bug-report-email-addresses] DESCRIPTION
bashbug is a utility for reporting bugs in Bash to the maintainers. bashbug will start up your preferred editor with a preformatted bug report template for you to fill in. Save the file and quit the editor once you have completed the missing fields. bashbug will notify you of any problems with the report and ask for confirmation before sending it. By default the bug report is mailed to both the GNU developers and the Debian Bash maintainers. The recipients can be changed by giving a comma separated list of bug-report-email-addresses. If you invoke bashbug by accident, just quit your editor. You will always be asked for confirmation before a bug report is sent. OPTIONS
--help Show a brief usage message and exit. --version Show the version of bashbug and exit. bug-report-email-addresses Comma separated list of recipients' email addresses. By default the report is mailed to both the GNU developers and the Debian Bash maintainers. ENVIRONMENT
DEFEDITOR Editor to use for editing the bug report. EDITOR Editor to use for editing the bug report (overridden by DEFEDITOR). SEE ALSO
bash(1), reportbug(1), update-alternatives(8) for preferred editor. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Christer Andersson <klamm@comhem.se> for the Debian project (but may be used by others). GNU Bash 3.1 11 December 2007 BASHBUG(1)