Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting I need to save a pid of a child started with $: su <user> -c “nohup …” Post 302903831 by vincegata on Thursday 29th of May 2014 11:25:52 PM
Old 05-30-2014
I need to save a pid of a child started with $: su <user> -c “nohup …”

Hello,

I want to save pid of a child process but I get empty file.

Code:
su myuser -c "nohup ./mydaemon.sh >/dev/null 2>&1 & print $! > mydaemon.pid"

This one works:

Code:
nohup ./mydaemon.sh >/dev/null 2>&1 & print $! > mydaemon.pid

Please help. Thank you in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Child Process PID

Hi, Can anybody solve this query? A parent process forks 2 child processes. How does the child process know it's PID without the parent process sending it. Apart from the "ps-ef" option, what other options are there if any? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skannan
2 Replies

2. Programming

printing ppid,child pid,pid

question: for the below program i just printed the value for pid, child pid and parent pid why does it give me 6 values? i assume ppid is 28086 but can't figure out why there are 5 values printed instead of just two! can someone comment on that! #include<stdio.h> #define DIM 8 int... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a25khan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PID of process started in background??

I am having a problem getting the PID of a process I start in the background is a csh. In tcsh and sh it's simple $! give it to you But in csh this just returns Variable syntax From the man page it should work but it doesn't???? Any help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stilllooking
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

kill scripts which are started using nohup

i have scipt which is calling some other scripts and some built-in utilities like SED, find etc.. i started this script using nohup (e.g: nohup scriptname &) now i want to kill this script and all the child processes of this script. the problem is, process id of child processes are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
4 Replies

5. Programming

Child process is not getting started

Hi, When i m trying to run below code,its entering into wait stage. output: In parent pid=2134 // some random value assigned to child process parent waiting..... and then it keeps on waiting for child to get terminate Y this child is not getting... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crab
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

child pid in ZSH

I am using ZSH shell in Linux. I am calling a child program in background mode parallely (say 2-3 threads). I have problem in handling the temporary files of these child programs since the temp file names are unique for all the child process. To distinguish i want to use the pid in the temp... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhams
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

pid of nohup process

I want to print the pid of a nohup process to a file so later I can use the list of pid's in that file to stop the background processes again. I use ksh on AIXv5.3: nohup /start/script.ksh 1>/dev/null 2>&1 print $$ > .pid nohup /start/script2.ksh 1>/dev/null 2>&1 print $$ >> .pid But... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process id of the exe started with nohup

Hi, I have a strange problem. In my shell script, i am startting another program (a c++ exe) with nohup . I am getting the process id of this started process with using $! I am writing this process id into another file so that i can keep checking for this process ids to check whether the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: parvathi_rd
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Killing child daemon started by parent process

Hi All, Hope this is right area to ask this question. I have a shell script (bash) "wrapper.sh", which contains few simple shell command which executes a "server.sh" (conatins code to execute a java server) as a daemon. Now what I want to kill this "server.sh" so that the server should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jw_amp
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting child process id for a given PID

HI Am trying to get child process id for a PID using ksh.. ps -ef | grep xntpd root 3342472 2228308 0 12:17:40 - 0:00 /usr/sbin/xntpd root 4522024 6488316 0 12:18:56 pts/0 0:00 grep xntpd root 6291614 3342472 0 12:17:40 - 0:00 /usr/sbin/xntpd Here now i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
1 Replies
Net::Server::Daemonize(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Net::Server::Daemonize(3)

NAME
Net::Server::Daemonize - Safe fork and daemonization utilities SYNOPSIS
use Net::Server::Daemonize qw(daemonize); daemonize( 'nobody', # User 'nobody', # Group '/var/state/mydaemon.pid' # Path to PID file - optional ); DESCRIPTION
This module is intended to let you simply and safely daemonize your server on systems supporting the POSIX module. This means that your Perl script runs in the background, and it's process ID is stored in a file so you can easily stop it later. EXPORTED FUNCTIONS
daemonize Main routine. Arguments are user (or userid), group (or group id or space delimited list of groups), and pid_file (path to file). This routine will check on the pid file, safely fork, create the pid file (storing the pid in the file), become another user and group, close STDIN, STDOUT and STDERR, separate from the process group (become session leader), and install $SIG{INT} to remove the pid file. In otherwords - daemonize. All errors result in a die. As of version 0.89 the pid_file is optional. safe_fork Block SIGINT during fork. No arguments. Returns pid of forked child. All errors result in a die. set_user Become another user and group. Arguments are user (or userid) and group (or group id or space delimited list of groups). set_uid Become another user. Argument is user (or userid). All errors die. set_gid Become another group. Arguments are groups (or group ids or space delimited list of groups or group ids). All errors die. get_uid Find the uid. Argument is user (userid returns userid). Returns userid. All errors die. get_gid Find the gids. Arguments are groups or space delimited list of groups. All errors die. is_root_user Determine if the process is running as root. Returns 1 or undef. check_pid_file Arguments are pid_file (full path to pid_file). Checks for existance of pid_file. If file exists, open it and determine if the process that created it is still running. This is done first by checking for a /proc file system and second using a "ps" command (BSD syntax). (If neither of these options exist it assumed that the process has ended) If the process is still running, it aborts. Otherwise, returns true. All errors die. create_pid_file. Arguments are pid_file (full path to pid_file). Calls check_pid_file. If it is successful (no pid_file exists), creates a pid file and stores $$ in the file. unlink_pid_file Does just that. SEE ALSO
Net::Server. Net::Daemon, The Perl Cookbook Recipe 17.15. AUTHORS
Jeremy Howard <j+daemonize@howard.fm> Program flow, concepts and initial work. Paul Seamons <paul@seamons.com> Code rework and componentization. Ongoing maintainer. LICENSE
This package may be distributed under the terms of either the GNU General Public License or the Perl Artistic License All rights reserved. perl v5.12.1 2007-02-03 Net::Server::Daemonize(3)