Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat DNS Server Setup Centos 6.5 Issues Post 302903801 by metallica1973 on Thursday 29th of May 2014 05:12:16 PM
Old 05-29-2014
i was schooled and found out:

If you have a line
Code:
search labtest.local

in /etc/resolv.conf, you can omit the domain part and use:
Code:
dig @test-nameserver.labtest.local dojo1 +search

Also,it turned out that it is was the way I was using nslookup. nslookup responds correctly with the IP of the domain. Hosts listing (ls option) is not implemented anymore for security reasons.
If you want to list all hosts, you can do domain transfer on screen:
Code:
nslookup -q=axfr abtest.local

---------- Post updated at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:48 PM ----------

you beat me to the punch.

---------- Post updated at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:49 PM ----------

Actually I ran the test on my laptop and it doesnt work

dig @test-nameserver.labtest.local dojo1.labtest.local +search
dig: couldn't get address for 'test-nameserver.labtest.local': not found

but if I do it via the ip address:
Code:
dig @10.8.0.19 dojo1.labtest.local 

; <<>> DiG 9.9.5-3-Ubuntu <<>> @10.8.0.19 dojo1.labtest.local
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 54507
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;dojo1.labtest.local.		IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
dojo1.labtest.local.	86400	IN	A	10.8.0.186

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
testlabtest.local.	86400	IN	NS	test-nameserver.labtest.local.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
test-nameserver.labtest.local. 86400 IN A	10.8.0.19

;; Query time: 3 msec
;; SERVER: 10.8.0.19#53(10.8.0.19)
;; WHEN: Thu May 29 16:59:30 EDT 2014
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 112

---------- Post updated at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:01 PM ----------

nevermind user error

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setup a DNS server for my redhat server

Using Redhat Linux Enterprise AS 4 can someone teach me how to setup a dns server for my webserver? i've registered a domainname at mydomain.com but when i type in the domain i register i cannot enter to my webserver. someone told me that it is related with the DNS setting on my server. i've... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaixiang88
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Help] Setup slave dns server

Hi all. I need to configure a secondary dns server to get the zones that are in the primary server. How can I do this? It's possible to make to sync automatically? What configuration I ahve to do? And in which files? Thanks in advance. If anyone could give me examples or a tutorial, that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kouh
4 Replies

3. AIX

Setup DNS server on AIX6.1

I'm planning of setting up a DNS server on AIX 6.1. Could someone shed me some lights on the step-by-steps of how to set this up? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: famasutika
2 Replies

4. Solaris

DNS Server setup

I am trying to setup DNS server in Solaris 10. I have two blade 1500 system and want to setup two name server I would like to start setting up DNS. appreciate your help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnathan
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

configure dns in centos

Hi, how do I set the DNS in centos. I don't mean of creating DNS server, but setting what should be the DNS server of centos. I mean to what server he should go in order to translate url into ip (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
6 Replies

6. Linux

How i can setup socks 5 in CentOS?

how i can setup socks 5 in centos? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hesamii
0 Replies

7. IP Networking

How i can setup socks 5 in CentOS?

how i can setup socks 5 in centos? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hesamii
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Problem Openvas-setup in CentOs 6.7 !

hi I installed Openvas we have the following problem internet Connection is Ok Even Reinstall the problem is not resolved Openvas Setup, Version: 0.5 Step 1: Update NVT's and SCAP data Please note this step could take some time. Once completed, NVT's and SCAP data will be updated... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnnn
12 Replies

9. Linux

Not able to setup CentOS 7 as gateway [Using squid proxy]

Hello, Did anyone setup a CentOS7 as a gateway (with squid transparent proxy). I am trying to do so but not able to setup. I setup squid , iptables (using it instead of firewalld) and all the necessary IPtables rules but nothing work. It work previously but access.log of squid not getting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnysthakur
4 Replies
Net::DNS::RR::L32(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Net::DNS::RR::L32(3)

NAME
Net::DNS::RR::L32 - DNS L32 resource record SYNOPSIS
use Net::DNS; $rr = new Net::DNS::RR('name IN L32 preference locator32'); $rr = new Net::DNS::RR( name => 'example.com', type => 'L32', preference => 10, locator32 => '10.1.02.0' ); DESCRIPTION
Class for DNS 32-bit Locator (L32) resource records. The L32 resource record is used to hold 32-bit Locator values for ILNPv4-capable nodes. METHODS
The available methods are those inherited from the base class augmented by the type-specific methods defined in this package. Use of undocumented package features or direct access to internal data structures is discouraged and could result in program termination or other unpredictable behaviour. preference $preference = $rr->preference; A 16 bit unsigned integer in network byte order that indicates the relative preference for this L32 record among other L32 records associated with this owner name. Lower values are preferred over higher values. locator32 $locator32 = $rr->locator32; The Locator32 field is an unsigned 32-bit integer in network byte order that has the same syntax and semantics as a 32-bit IPv4 routing prefix. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c)2012 Dick Franks. Package template (c)2009,2012 O.M.Kolkman and R.W.Franks. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
perl, Net::DNS, Net::DNS::RR, RFC6742 perl v5.18.2 2014-01-16 Net::DNS::RR::L32(3)