Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Upgrading to AIX 7 vs migrating Post 302903484 by tde3000 on Wednesday 28th of May 2014 03:04:36 AM
Old 05-28-2014
Upgrading to AIX 7 vs migrating

Hi all,
I have this weird notion that upgrading the TL does not cause the machine to wipe, but upgrading a major version (from aix 6 to 7) means it's actually a fresh install and will wipe the date and i have to install the software again (TSM server, for instance). Trying to google it, i came across references to migration vs upgrade, and hoped maybe i can upgrade my server to aix 7 while keeping all installed software, but dind't find any further explanation.

Can someone please shed some light?

Thanks Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Problem with migrating from AIX 5.1 to 5.3

I'am migrating from AIX 5.1 to 5.3 during migration installation a receive message enough space for dir /usr. My question is : how i can resolve this problem ? i can't reboot my server i hope that there is a command to obtain a spece without go out from installation procedure pannel... I'am... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tt155
0 Replies

2. AIX

Migrating AIX users to Linux

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone out there knew if it was possible to migrate users from AIX to Linux. What we want to do is install OpenLDAP on a Linux machine and port all the users over to LDAP. I've googled around and could only find a few things, such as mrgpwd - but that only comes... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: djcronos
0 Replies

3. AIX

migrating easytrieve from Z/OS to AIX platform

Hi, my requirement is to migrate easytrieve running on Z/OS to AIX platform. can anyone let me know what changes should be made if we do such a migration. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit510
0 Replies

4. AIX

Migrating C Application from AIX to Linux

Hi All, I am currently facing new problem of migrating C(c language) application from AIX machine to Linux machine. We are using GCC to compile the source code.. But facing with the compilation issues, with lot of GCC C libs differing between AIX box to Linux box... Pls help me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikc
3 Replies

5. AIX

Upgrading AIX 5.2 to AIX 6.1 - GCC compatibility

Hi All, We are in the processing of upgrading our AIX server OS from 5.2.0.0 to 6.1. And we have a set of highly critical running C applications in AIX box. I have a question like whether this upgradation of OS will affect any C code compilation and C runtime enviornment... how does AIX 6.1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthikc
1 Replies

6. AIX

AIX Servers Ugrading or Migrating

:( Hi Grue, I am very new in AIX/UNIX environment. Please give me answer that during the upgrading or Migrating to 6.1 the AIX Server the applications of this server is accessible to Apps users or not? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tahniet
2 Replies

7. AIX

Migrating a NIM Server to AIX 6.1

Guys, We are planning to upgrade one of our NIM server to AIX 6.1 from 5.3... Since the server itself is a NIM Server we can't perform it via NIM & I'm choosing to do CD install.. The Install method would be Upgrade installation. Is there anything special that I need to consider before... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkeng808
5 Replies

8. AIX

Migrating from HP Unix to IBM AIX 6.1

HI , We are in process to migrate from UNIX to AIX 6.1 version . I need to understand differences between commands that are used in UNIX and AIX. I want to make sure AIX has all command options avaliable from HP Unix.If any mismatch it should be addressed . Since many commands are used it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
2 Replies

9. AIX

New to AIX need help Installing/Upgrading Samba on AIX 7.1?

Hello, I am trying to update Samba on my AIX 7.1 system as there is an issues with it, the smbd process coredumps and I have had no luck figuring it out why. My approach is to try to re-install a newer samba and I have found the latest 3.x package for samba in ppc.rpm format at perlz.org ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
6 Replies

10. AIX

Migrating NFSv3 to NFSv4 in AIX

Hello, I worked on setting up NFSv3 and NFSv4 (novice) shares separately. I was trying to find a way to migrate existing NFSv3 fileshares to NFSv4 as is. I found a redbook online called "Securing NFS in AIX". It has good info. I am able to create a new NFSv4 share, do not know how to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
4 Replies
SFILL(1)						      General Commands Manual							  SFILL(1)

NAME
sfill - secure free disk and inode space wiper (secure_deletion toolkit) SYNOPSIS
sfill [-f] [-i] [-I] [-l] [-l] [-v] [-z] directory/mountpoint DESCRIPTION
sfill is designed to delete data which lies on available diskspace on mediums in a secure manner which can not be recovered by thiefs, law enforcement or other threats. The wipe algorythm is based on the paper "Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and Solid-State Memory" pre- sented at the 6th Usenix Security Symposium by Peter Gutmann, one of the leading civilian cryptographers. The secure data deletion process of sfill goes like this: * 1 pass with 0xff * 5 random passes. /dev/urandom is used for a secure RNG if available. * 27 passes with special values defined by Peter Gutmann. * 5 random passes. /dev/urandom is used for a secure RNG if available. afterwards as many temporary files as possible are generated to wipe the free inode space. After no more temporary files can be created, they are removed and sfill is finnished. COMMANDLINE OPTIONS
-f fast (and insecure mode): no /dev/urandom, no synchronize mode. -i wipe only free inode space, not free disk space -I wipe only free disk space, not free inode space -l lessens the security. Only two passes are written: one mode with 0xff and a final mode with random values. -l -l for a second time lessons the security even more: only one random pass is written. -v verbose mode -z wipes the last write with zeros instead of random data directory/mountpoint this is the location of the file created in your filesystem. It should lie on the partition you want to write. LIMITATIONS
FILESYSTEM INTELLIGENCE Most filesystems (ext2, ffs, etc.) have several features included to enhance performance, which will result in that sfill might not receive all available free space. Sad but true. Nothing can be done about that ... NFS Beware of NFS. You can't ensure you really completely wiped your data from the remote disks. (especially because of caching) Raid Raid Systems use stripped disks and have got large caches. It's hard to wipe them. swap Some of your data might have a copy in your swapspace. sswap is available for this task. BUGS
No bugs. There was never a bug in the secure_deletion package (in contrast to my other tools, whew, good luck ;-) Send me any that you find. Patches are nice too :) AUTHOR
van Hauser / THC <vh@thc.org> DISTRIBUTION
The newest version of the secure_deletion package can be obtained from http://www.thc.org sfill and the secure_deletion package is (C) 1997-2003 by van Hauser / THC (vh@thc.org) This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; Version 2. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. SEE ALSO
srm (1), sswap (1), sdmem (1) SFILL(1)