Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support NIS created users without a home directory Post 302903441 by Junaid Subhani on Tuesday 27th of May 2014 04:34:49 PM
Old 05-27-2014
I agree yo what you have said. But this is nfs. I am more interested in using automount/autofs. Can you guide me in that regard ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Profiles for users without home directory

Hi I want to know which profile will be called when a user without home directory is created. When I created a user without home directory(by setting in /etc/default/useradd), the user is able to login directly into the main "/" folder but with only read permissions. Thanks naina (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naina
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Home Directory Jail for Users

Hi, I am looking for a shell script (or any other way), that puts a user in a home directory jail. So for example, I have a user named richard and I don't want him wandering outside /usr/users/richard. I don't want him to cd to anywhere including cd .. Somebody said you can do that with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mz043
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem: Automounting Home directory for nis & nfs configuration doesn't work

Hi all, First of all, i am so sorry about my bad level in English writing. I have some problem in linux and i hope the experts of this forum to help me if they have enough time to reply to me. I have a scenario of configuring NIS and NFS in Redhat Linux environment such that user can login... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pioneer
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lost /home/directory for users

I'm using HPUX 11i. The other day a user logon to the workstation and was not able to find the /home/directory (tom is the directory) I login myself and it is the same thing. The home directory is on the server, so I was thinking of using sam to map it again. does anyone know how to do it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blizzgamer
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Common Home directory for different users??

Hi Guys, I have a problem with configuring a server. this is a solaris 10 with sparc platform. I have setup so that the server is Authenticating through NIS but I dont want the server to Mount the Home directories. The users need to logged in through the CDE/display. I have over 200 users... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Luky
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

about the access permission of users home directory

RHEL5.0 As we know, when root create a new user, a new home directory will be created : /home/user I want to know what determine the access permission of /home/user . Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cqlouis
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

SSH lock users to the Home Directory

Hi friends, I must to give ssh connection to own customer. So I want to lock ssh user on own home directory. It is not necessery to reach other folders. I know that ftp user can lock on own folder but I don't know how to lock ssh user. I am waitting your kindly helps :D ---------- Post... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User's home directory not being created

I am trying to create Oracle user. I will install oracle after that. But my problem is /home/oracle directory is not being created. bash-3.2# useradd -g oinstall -G dba,oper -d /home/oracle -m oracle cp: /home/oracle: Operation not applicable chown: /home/oracle: No such file or directory ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hubatuwang
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Permissions on a directory in /home for all users

Hi, I have created a shared directory on /home, where all users on a certain group have read, write and execute permissions. I did this using chmod -R g+rwx /home/shared/ The problem is, when a particular user creates a directory within /home/shared, other users are not able to write to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
8 Replies

10. HP-UX

How to set variable for users with no home directory?

Hi I need to set $HISTFILE for a user with no home directory. How to go about it because this user does not have a .profilefile. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
5 Replies
DEFAULTDOMAIN(5)					     Linux Programmer's Manual						  DEFAULTDOMAIN(5)

NAME
defaultdomain - file which contains the NIS/YP domain name DESCRIPTION
/etc/defaultdomain is used by the boot scripts to set the NIS/YP domain name for a system as returned by the getdomainname(2) function. The file contains one line with the name of the domain. Unlike DNS hostnames and domain names, the NIS domain name is case-sensitive! The NIS domain name must not be the same as the DNS domain name, but for some services like NIS+ it should be the same. Even if the domain name is often called NIS/YP domain name, it is also used from other protocols, not only NIS/YP. FILES
/etc/defaultdomain /etc/init.d/boot.localnet SEE ALSO
domainname(1), init.d(7), init(8), nisdomainname(1), ypdomainname(1), ypbind(8), ypserv(8), ypwhich(1) COPYRIGHT
2002 SuSE Linux AG Nuernberg, Germany. SuSE Linux 2002-01-16 DEFAULTDOMAIN(5)