Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing character "|" in given character range Post 302903322 by krsnadasa on Tuesday 27th of May 2014 03:07:29 AM
Old 05-27-2014
Replacing character "|" in given character range

Hi

I am having file :
Code:
1|2443094                  |FUNG SIU TO |CLEMENT
2|2443095                  |FUNG KIL FO |REMENT

This file contains only 3 fields delimeted by "|". Last field is a decsription filed and it contains character "|". Due to this my output if breaking in 4 fields. I need to replace the last "|" from description fields "FUNG SIU TO |CLEMENT" and make it "FUNG SIU TO _CLEMENT".

Can some one guide how to do this using AWK or Sed?

---------- Post updated at 02:07 AM ---------- Previous update was at 02:01 AM ----------

Length of the last field is also known and fixed.

start character count 29 and length 20 chars.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing the character "\" in a file

I am using sed to replace things like "," and tabs in a file, but what is the code for replacing a \ ???? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjsha1
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extran NUll character added after end of line "\n"

Hi All, I am facing a strange situation and want to find why it is occuring . When i convert the whole line into Hexadecimal character i can find the junk value after new line (\n) . If i look in binary mode it is not visible. PLease let me know how possible the junk character is added... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing the "\" and "\n" character using sed or tr

Hi All, I'm trying to write a ksh script to parse a file. When the "\" character is encountered, it should be removed and the next line should be concatenated with the current line. For example... this is a test line #1\ should be concatenated with line #2\ and line number 3 when this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_coder
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Character size limit in the "sh" and "bourne" shell

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roshan1286
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print range of lines using sed when pattern has special character "["

Hi, My input has much more lines, but few of them are below pin(IDF) { direction : input; drc_pinsigtype : signal; pin(SELDIV6) { direction : input; drc_pinsigtype : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to find text between a "string " and character ","

Hello everyone Sorry I have to add another sed question. I am searching a log file and need only the first 2 occurances of text which comes after (note the space) "string " and before a ",". I have tried sed -n 's/.*string \(*\),.*/\1/p' filewith some, but limited success. This gives out all... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: haggismn
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep : Filter/Move All The Lines Containing Not More Than One "X" Character Into A Text File

Hi All It's me again with another huge txt files. :confused: What I have: - I have 33 huge txt files in a folder. - I have thousands of line in this txt file which contain many the letter "x" in them. - Some of them have more than one "x" character in the line. What I want to achieve:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed random \n for "n" range of character occurrences

I'd like to put paragraph breaks \n\n randomly between 5 - 10 occurrences of the dot character (.), for an entire text file. How to do that? In other words, anywhere between every 5 -10 sentences, a new paragraph will generate. There are no other uses of the (.) except for sentence breaks in... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: p1ne
11 Replies
ACTIVE(5)							File Formats Manual							 ACTIVE(5)

NAME
active, active.times - list of active Usenet newsgroups DESCRIPTION
The file /var/lib/news/active lists the newsgroups that the local site receives. Each newsgroup should be listed only once. Each line specifies one group; their order in the file does not matter. Within each newsgroup, articles are assigned unique names, which are mono- tonically increasing numbers. If an article is posted to newsgroups not mentioned in this file, those newsgroups are ignored. If no valid newsgroups are specified, the article is filed into the newsgroup ``junk'' and only propagated to sites that receive the ``junk'' newsgroup. Each line consists of four fields specified by a space: name himark lomark flags The first field is the name of the newsgroup. The second field is the highest article number that has been used in that newsgroup. The third field is the lowest article number in the group; this number is not guaranteed to be accurate, and should only be taken to be a hint. Note that because of article cancellations, there may be gaps in the numbering sequence. If the lowest article number is greater then the highest article number, then there are no articles in the newsgroup. In order to make it possible to update an entry in-place without rewriting the entire file, the second and third fields are padded out with leading zeros to make them a fixed width. The fourth field can contain one of the following flags: y Local postings are allowed n No local postings are allowed, only remote ones m The group is moderated and all postings must be approved j Articles in this group are not kept, but only passed on x Articles cannot be posted to this newsgroup =foo.bar Articles are locally filed into the ``foo.bar'' group If a newsgroup has the ``j'' flag, then no articles will be filed into that newsgroup and local postings to that group should not be gener- ated. If an article for such a newsgroup is received from a remote site, it will be filed into the ``junk'' newsgroup if it is not cross- posted. This is different from not having a newsgroup listed in the file because sites can subscribe to ``j'' newsgroups and the article will be propagated to them. If the fourth field of a newsgroup starts with an equal sign, then the newsgroup is an alias. Articles can be posted to the group, but will be treated as if they were posted to the group named after the equal sign. The second and third fields are ignored. Note that the Newsgroup header is not modified (Alias groups are typically used during a transition, and are typically created with ctlinnd(8)). An alias newsgroup should not point to another alias. The file /var/lib/news/active.times provides a chronological record of when newsgroups are created. This file is normally updated by innd(8) whenever a ctlinnd ``newgroup'' command is done. Each line consist of three fields: name time creator The first field is the name of the newsgroup. The second field is the time it was created, expressed as the number of seconds since the epoch -- i.e., a time_t; see gettimeofday(2). The third field is the electronic mail address of the person who created the group. HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> for InterNetNews. This is revision 1.13, dated 1996/10/29. SEE ALSO
ctlinnd(8), innd(8). ACTIVE(5)