Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX VIOS - fibre adapters not seeing luns Post 302903308 by aixkidbee on Tuesday 27th of May 2014 12:32:43 AM
Old 05-27-2014
VIOS - fibre adapters not seeing luns

Hi guys,

I've been trying to tackle this issue for days and I'm stumped. Hopefully someone can give more light on what else I can do.

I have a p7 series box, with dual VIOS and 10 lpars and everything was working fine until I had to move the box to another location in the data centre. Ensured I labelled where each cable went etc.

Upon powering on the p7 server, it came up fine into standby mode. Then powered on the system. After that, I then powered on the VIOS (Primary) server and that came up fine and booted into the OS. (Each VIOS server has 2 x dual ports dedicated fibre adapters) I then proceeded to boot each lpar successfully. Now, when I ran lspath on VIOS (Primary) it showed that the second adapter has failed path. I tried to re-enable it to no success. I thought I'd continue with VIOS (Secondary) and continue along, to my suprise, no luns were accessible to the server. I even tried to go to SMS Menu to use the SAN Zone support, and Open firmware prompt for ioinfo and no luns were displaying. (I am using SCSI adapters for the luns)

The list below is what I have tried and unsuccessful.
1 - have changed over the fibre cables to the adapter and no success
2 - have bypassed the fibre patch panel and directly to the fibre switch and no success
3 - confirmed we can see light coming through the fibre cables
4 - Changed switched ports on the fibre adapters
5 - wrap plug test and no success
6 - Used the fibre cable that is plugged into the working fibre adapter and used in the fibre adapter that has issues and still no success.
7 - I have confirmed that I can see the fibre adapters as available on the VIOS server
8 - I have removed the fibre adapters from the system and re configured them
9 - I have shutdown the system completely, removed power and reattached power and started up the system and no success
10 - I have physically removed the fibre adapters and reseated them
11 - I have provided IBM with a 'snap' which is the system configuration of the VIOS server - so far hardware support can't find any fault.
12 - I have screenshot my VIOS configuration profile to IBM - no issues here
13 - I have ran an exe program from IBM to determine transmit and receive and noise on the port and the ones not working don't output any information.
14 - I have moved the fibre adapters from the VIOS server to another LPAR and still have the same issues.
15 - On the back on the server, I can see there is power to the adapters with green flash lights, but no link activity.
16 - I have checked with IBM documentation that Green LED slow flash and no Yellow LED indicates - Normal, link inactive or not started.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

4 x fibre cards elimination

Hi, I have variables like mentioned below and want to separate as mentioned in output. var1="4 x fibre cards" var2="2 fibre cards" var3="6 - fibre cards" var4="4 x dual-port" I have variables like this.I want to separate numbers from this and fibre cards from this. output has to be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajilesh
4 Replies

2. AIX

20EE0008 : No adapters found Adapter, Riser, System Bd.

Hello, When I try to upgrade AIX from 5.1 to 5.3 I get this error message 20EE0008 : No adapters found Adapter, Riser, System Bd. Anyone know anything about it ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Designating Default Gateway for multiple networks/adapters

Hi I have 4 NIC's connected to my RHEL 5.3 server. Two on one subnet creating bond0, and two on a second subnet which create bond1. Both bonds are set to use DHCP to obtain IP addresses. Here is the config file for ifcfg-bond0: DHCP_HOSTNAME=rrnltshckvmx001 DEVICE=bond0 BOOTPROTO=dhcp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Padow
2 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Order of Adapters in Windows 7

I am trying to get my boss' ipad to print on our local printers, and rapidly coming to loathe the product. After several false starts I'm attempting to use the free WePrint application, running on a Windows machine, to "forward" our printers from it to the ipad over the local network. I've hit... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
2 Replies

5. AIX

VIOS IP address - separate vlan for vios servers ?

Hello, Lets say for simplicity that I do not use any vlan config inside my server - one lpar group use hea physical port1, another group hea physical port2. Physical port1 configured as vlan1 on external switch, physical port2 as vlan2. What is the common practice - should I isolate my vios... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
0 Replies

6. AIX

VIO SEA Adapters

hi guys BTW pretty new to VIO I inherited 2 I BM Power Server - blades PS701 - One is already configured using en8 # lsdev -Cc adapter | grep ent ent0 Available Logical Host Ethernet Port (lp-hea) ent1 Available Logical Host Ethernet Port (lp-hea) ent2 Available 04-20... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
8 Replies
hpfc(7D)							      Devices								  hpfc(7D)

NAME
hpfc - Agilent fibre channel host bus adapter SYNOPSIS
PCI pci103c DESCRIPTION
The hpfc fibre channel host bus adapter is a SCSA compliant nexus driver that supports all Agilent fibre channel host bus adapters, includ- ing the HHBA5100x, HHBA5101x, and HHBA5121x models. Agilent host bus adapters support the fibre channel protocol on private fibre channel arbitrated loops and fabrics. The driver supports up to ten host bus adapters, with a maximum of 125 fibre channel devices on each host bus adapter. The hpfc driver supports a maximum of 256 LUNs per target. The hpfc driver does not support the BIOS Int 13 feature, which enables the booting of an operating system. As a result, you should not install an operating system on devices attached to the hpfc driver. CONFIGURATION
The hpfc driver attempts to configure itself using the information in the /kernel/drv/hpfc.conf configuration file. By default, the driver supports only LUN 0 for each target device. To add multiple LUN support, modify the /kernel/drv/sd.conf file. Before upgrading the hpfc driver, backup the sd.conf file to save customized LUN settings and then use pkgrm(1M) to remove the old version of the driver. The host bus adapter port is initialized to FL_Port when connected to a fabric switch. To change it to F_Port, add the init_as_nport=1 entry to the hpfc.conf file and reboot the system. To conserve system resources, at least one disk drive must be attached to the hpfc driver. If no devices are attached, the driver will not load. FILES
/kernel/drv/hpfc 32-bit ELF kernel module /kernel/drv/sparcv9/hpfc 64-bit ELF kernel module /kernel/drv/hpfc.conf Driver configuration file /kernel/drv/sd.conf SCSI disk configuration file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86, SPARC | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
luxadm(1M), pkgrm(1M), prtconf(1M), driver.conf(4), attributes(5), ses(7D), ssd(7D) ANSI X3.272-1996, Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop (FC-AL), ANSI X3.269-1996, Fibre Channel Protocol for SCSI (FCP), ANSI X3.270-1996, SCSI-3 Architecture Model (SAM), Fibre Channel Private Loop SCSI Direct Attach (FC-PLDA) SunOS 5.10 10 Oct 2000 hpfc(7D)