Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Combining Operators
Top Forums Programming Combining Operators Post 302903301 by Lost in Cyberia on Monday 26th of May 2014 09:29:08 PM
Old 05-26-2014
Combining Operators in C

Hey everyone, I'm really getting into learning C, but as I look at more advanced example code, I see things like
Code:
if (!*variable1) 
blah blah blah...

and

Code:
variable2 ^= *(variable1++);

my question is, when you have a combination of two operators, like !*. The ! means 'not' and the * means a pointer, so for
!* variable1
does this just mean 'if not a pointer'?

For most combinations of operators do you just combine both of their literal meanings?

Last edited by Lost in Cyberia; 05-26-2014 at 10:39 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

bitwise operators

can anybody write a program to divide a number by another number using bitwise operators (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: areef4u
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

If with set operators

Hi guys, I'm trying to run more than one "if" condition at once. What I want is something like if ] or ] or ]; then ... I can't remember the syntax for using this or/and set operators. Can someone please assist/ jog my memory? thanks Khoom (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arithmetic Operators

Hello, I have a list of 'inputs' and i want to convert those on the second list named 'Desired Outputs', but i don't know how to do it? Inputs Desired Outputs 1 2 94 4 276 8 369 10 464 12 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: filda
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operators

I am trying to understand Does the following: {tmp+=$10} Mean take $10 and add them all up and call it tmp thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: llsmr777
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Operators

I really don't know the meaning of these operators. Could someone explain the meanings so I can make my test for today? <, <=, ==, !=, >=, >, ||, &&, ! ~ , !~ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Erjen
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Operators

I really don't know the meaning of these operators. Could someone explain the meanings? <, <=, ==, !=, >=, >, ||, &&, ! ~ , !~ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Erjen
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Miscellaneous operators

Hi everyone, I read some shell script code,then I have some issue. the following code. let "t1 = ((5 + 3, 7 - 1, 15 - 4))" echo "t1 = $t1" t1=11 Here t1 is set to the result of the last operation.why? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: luoluo
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array operators

Hi Lets say I have two arrays: VAR_1 = "File_A" "File_B" "File_C" "File_D" VAR_2 = "File_A" "File_D" Is there a simple command to get the difference of these list, i.e. VAR_1_2 = "File_B" "File_C" or do I have to write a script and loop through all elements and compare them one by one? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Wernfried
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash -o -v -R operators

I do not know the use of the -o -v -R operators. This is what the info says and I am confused of what optname and varname mean, are they just normal variable? -o optname True if the shell option optname is enabled. See the list of options under the ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
6 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)