Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Blocks of text in a file - extract when matches... Post 302903239 by vbe on Monday 26th of May 2014 10:24:44 AM
Old 05-26-2014
Using IFS=":" (after having save OLD IFS value of course...)
You could read your line as 2 variables! say VAR1 and VAR2
You can then test if
[ $VAR1 = "Service ID" ], then save VAR2 etc...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract if pattern matches

Hi All, I have an input below. I tried to use the awk below but it seems that it ;s not working. Can anybody help ? My concept here is to find the 2nd field of the last occurrence of such pattern " ** XXX ccc ccc cc cc ccc 2007 " . In this case, the 2nd field is " XXX ". With this "XXX" term... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
20 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete blocks of lines from text file

Hello, Hello Firends, I have file like below. I want to remove selected blocks say abc,pqr,lst. how can i remove those blocks from file. zone abc { blah blah blah } zone xyz { blah blah blah } zone pqr { blah blah blah } (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrbhole
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract sequence blocks

Hi, I have an one-line file consisting of a sequence of 660 letters. I would like to extract 9-letter blocks iteratively: ASDFGHJKLQWERTYUIOPZXCVBNM first block: ASDFGHJKL 1nd block: SDFGHJKLQ What I have so far only gives me the first block, can anyone please explain why? cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solli
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract blocks of text from a file

Hi, This is part of a large text file I need to separate out. I'd like some help to build a shell script that will extract the text between sets of dashed lines, write that to a new file using the whole or part of the first text string as the new file name, then move on to the next one and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cajunfries
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to split this file into blocks and then send these blocks as input to the tool called Yices?

Hello, I have a file like this: FILE.TXT: (define argc :: int) (assert ( > argc 1)) (assert ( = argc 1)) <check> # (define c :: float) (assert ( > c 0)) (assert ( = c 0)) <check> # now, i want to separate each block('#' is the delimeter), make them separate files, and then send them as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract sequences of bytes from binary for differents blocks

Hello to all, I would like to search sequences of bytes inside big binary file. The bin file contains blocks of information, each block begins is estructured as follow: 1- Each block begins with the hex 32 (1 byte) and ends with FF. After the FF of the last block, it follows 33. 2- Next... (59 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
59 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding and removing blocks of text from file

Hello all, short story: I'm writing a script to add and remove dns records in dns files. Its on a RHEL 5.5 So far i've locked up the basic operations in a couple of functions: - validate the parameters - search for existant ip in file when adding - search for existant name records in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick72
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove duplicate text blocks from a file?

Hi All I have a list of files which will have duplicate list of blocks of text. Following is a sample of the file, I have removed the sensitive information from the file. All the code samples starts from <TR BGCOLOR="white"> and Ends with IP address and two html tags like this. 10.14.22.22... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahasona
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract all the sentences from a text file that matches a pattern list

Hi I have a big text file. I want to extract all the sentences that matches at least 70% (seventy percent) of the words from each sentence based on a word list called A. Say the format of the text file is as given below: This is the first sentence which consists of fifteen words... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies
Data::Dumper::Simple(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Data::Dumper::Simple(3pm)

NAME
Data::Dumper::Simple - Easily dump variables with names SYNOPSIS
use Data::Dumper::Simple; warn Dumper($scalar, @array, %hash); warn Dumper($scalar, @array, \%hash); warn Dumper $scalar, @array, %hash; ABSTRACT
This module allow the user to dump variables in a Data::Dumper format. Unlike the default behavior of Data::Dumper, the variables are named (instead of $VAR1, $VAR2, etc.) Data::Dumper provides an extended interface that allows the programmer to name the variables, but this interface requires a lot of typing and is prone to tyops (sic). This module fixes that. DESCRIPTION
"Data::Dumper::Simple" is actually a source filter that replaces all instances of "Dumper($some, @args)" in your code with a call to "Data::Dumper->Dump()". You can use the one function provided to make dumping variables for debugging a trivial task. Note that this is primarily a debugging tool. "Data::Dumper" offers a bit more than that, so don't expect this module to be more than it is. Note that if you strongly object to source filters, I've also released Data::Dumper::Names. It does what this module does by it uses Pad- Walker instead of a source filter. Unfortunately, it has a few limitations and is not as powerful as this module. Think of Data::Dumper::Names as a "proof of concept". The Problem Frequently, we use "Data::Dumper" to dump out some variables while debugging. When this happens, we often do this: use Data::Dumper; warn Dumper($foo, $bar, $baz); And we get simple output like: $VAR1 = 3; $VAR2 = 2; $VAR3 = 1; While this is usually what we want, this can be confusing if we forget which variable corresponds to which variable printed. To get around this, there is an extended interface to "Data::Dumper": warn Data::Dumper->Dump( [$foo, $bar, $baz], [qw/*foo *bar *baz/] ); This provides much more useful output. $foo = 3; $bar = 2; $baz = 1; (There's more control over the output than what I've shown.) You can even use this to output more complex data structures: warn Data::Dumper->Dump( [$foo, @array], [qw/*foo *array/] ); And get something like this: $foo = 3; @array = ( 8, 'Ovid' ); Unfortunately, this can involve a lot of annoying typing. warn Data::Dumper->Dump( [$foo, \%this, @array, \%that], [qw/*foo *that *array *this/] ); You'll also notice a typo in the second array ref which can cause great confusion while debugging. The Solution With "Data::Dumper::Simple" you can do this instead: use Data::Dumper::Simple. warn Dumper($scalar, @array, %hash); Note that there's no need to even take a reference to the variables. The output of the above resembles this (sample data, of course): $scalar = 'Ovid'; @array = ( 'Data', 'Dumper', 'Simple', 'Rocks!' ); %hash = ( 'it' => 'does', 'I' => 'hope', 'at' => 'least' ); Taking a reference to an array or hash works as expected, but taking a reference to a scalar is effectively a no-op (because it can turn into a confusing reference to a reference); my $foo = { hash => 'ref' }; my @foo = qw/foo bar baz/; warn Dumper ($foo, @foo); Produces: $foo = { 'hash' => 'ref' }; $foo = [ 'foo', 'bar', 'baz' ]; Note that this means similarly named variables can get quite confusing, as in the example above. If you already have a &Dumper function, you can specify a different function name with the "as" key in the import list: use Data::Dumper::Simple as => 'display'; warn display( $scalar, @array, %hash ); Also, if you really, really can't stand typing "warn" or "print", you can turn on "autowarn": use Data::Dumper::Simple as => 'display', autowarn => 1; display($scalar, @array, $some->{ data }); Or you can send the output (as a list) to a different function: use Data::Dumper::Simple as => 'debug', autowarn => 'to_log'; sub to_log { my @data = @_; # some logging function } debug( $customer => @order_nums ); # yeah, we support the fat comma "=>" and newlines EXPORT
The only thing exported is the Dumper() function. Well, actually that's not really true. Nothing is exported. However, a source filter is used to automatically rewrite any apparent calls to "Dumper()" so that it just Does The Right Thing. SEE ALSO
* Data::Dumper - Stringified perl data structures * Filter::Simple - Simplified source filtering BUGS
This module uses a source filter. If you don't like that, don't use this. There are no known bugs but there probably are some as this is Alpha Code. LIMITATIONS
* Calling with a sub Do not try to call "Dumper()" with a subroutine in the argument list: Dumper($foo, some_sub()); # Bad! The filter gets confused by the parentheses. Your author was going to fix this but it became apparent that there was no way that "Dumper()" could figure out how to name the return values from the subroutines, thus ensuring further breakage. So don't do that. * Multiple enreferencing Getting really crazy by using multiple enreferencing will confuse things (e.g., "\\\$foo"), don't do that, either. I might use "Text::Balanced" at some point to fix this if it's an issue. * Slices List and hash slices are not supported at this time. * String interpolation "Dumper($foo)" can potentially interpolate if it's in a string. This is because of a weird edge case with "FILTER_ONLY code" which caused a failure on some items being dumped. I've fixed that, but made the module a wee bit less robust. This will hopefully be fixed in the next release of Text::Balanced. * Line numbers may be wrong Because this module uses a source filter, line numbers reported from syntax or other errors may be thrown off a little. This is probably a bug in the source filter implementation, which should use "#line" directives. As a workaround until this is fixed, put a directive (such as "#line 10000") a few lines ahead of the suspected bug. If the error is reported as happening in line 10007, you know to look about eight lines below your directive for the bug. Be sure to remove the bogus directive once you find the bug! * The parentheses are optional, but the syntax isn't bulletproof If you try, it's not hard to confuse the parser. Patches welcome. Note that this is not a drop-in replacement for "Data::Dumper". If you need the power of that module, use it. AUTHOR
Curtis "Ovid" Poe, <eop_divo_sitruc@yahoo.com> Reverse the name to email me. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2004 by Curtis "Ovid" Poe This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.8.8 2008-03-08 Data::Dumper::Simple(3pm)