Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting file count in a variable Post 302903184 by pilnet101 on Monday 26th of May 2014 02:24:42 AM
Old 05-26-2014
Your if statement is embedded within your for loop, that's your problem. So your ${fname} variable will change each time you iterate over the variables in your for loop. The if statement should be performed after the for loop.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

select count(*) into a variable

Hi, Could anybody help me how can I assign the value of "select count(*) from table1" to a variable in an unix shell script. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nguda
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

setting file count to a variable

Hey guys. My goal here is to count the number of .dat files in in a directory(28 files). If 28 files exist I am ok. Having trouble doing this. Any help would b e greatly appreciated. #!/usr/bin/ksh #============================================================================= ### Define local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ecupirate1998
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count the record count in an EBCDIC file.

How do I get the record count in an EBCDIC file on a Linux Box. :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oracle8
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting Sum, Count and Distinct Count of a file

Hi all this is a UNIX question. I have a large flat file with millions of records. col1|col2|col3 1|a|b 2|c|d 3|e|f 3|g|h footer**** I am supposed to calculate the sum of col1 1+2+3+3=9, count of col1 1,2,3,3=4, and distinct count of col1 1,2,3=c3 I would like it if you avoid... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: singhabhijit
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

count of a string within a variable

I am writing ksh to check for duplicate records in two different set of tables on oracle database, to get this i am running two plsql qurries at a time through the ksh, so the output of the qurries will be stored in variable say "SQL_STRING". So now to say if duplicate records exists in table or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpv0002
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To count a string with in a variable

I am writing a ksh to check for duplicate records in two different set of tables on oracle database, to get this i am running two plsql qurries at a time through the ksh, so the output of the qurries will be stored in variable say "SQL_STRING". So now to say if duplicate records exists in table or... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpv0002
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to set a variable with a count variable i.e. VARIABLE$COUNT

Hi All I've very nearly finished this script I'm working on but have hit another idiots problem, after googling I can't see a solution for this one. I have a while count loop that checks checks two consecutive values then increments the count by two. What the script has to do is then check... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

count lines in file to variable

I have a text file in which you need to identify the number of lines that looks like this: awk '{x + +} END {print x}' filename The problem is that I do not know how this data to any variable in which then need to continue to work in a cycle for .. do not know someone help? Sorry for my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gizmo16
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To count total of specific character in a file and save its value to a variable

Hi all, I have a file that contains characters. How do I get total of spesific character from that file and save the count to a variable for doing for calculation. data.txt 1 2 2 2 2 3 3 4 5 6 7 8 5 4 3 4 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: weslyarfan
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk variable search and line count between variable-search pattern

Input: |Running the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:48:01 BST 2016 |End of the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:49:54 BST 2016 |Running the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:54:01 BST 2016 |End of the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:55:45 BST 2016 |Running the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 23:00:02 BST 2016 |End of the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 23:01:44 BST 2016... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
4 Replies
DH_INSTALLDEB(1)						     Debhelper							  DH_INSTALLDEB(1)

NAME
dh_installdeb - install files into the DEBIAN directory SYNOPSIS
dh_installdeb [debhelperoptions] DESCRIPTION
dh_installdeb is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing files into the DEBIAN directories in package build directories with the correct permissions. FILES
package.postinst package.preinst package.postrm package.prerm These maintainer scripts are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Inside the scripts, the token #DEBHELPER# is replaced with shell script snippets generated by other debhelper commands. package.triggers package.shlibs These control files are installed into the DEBIAN directory. package.conffiles This control file will be installed into the DEBIAN directory. In v3 compatibility mode and higher, all files in the etc/ directory in a package will automatically be flagged as conffiles by this program, so there is no need to list them manually here. package.maintscript Lines in this file correspond to dpkg-maintscript-helper(1) commands and parameters. Any shell metacharacters will be escaped, so arbitrary shell code cannot be inserted here. For example, a line such as "mv_conffile /etc/oldconffile /etc/newconffile" will insert maintainer script snippets into all maintainer scripts sufficient to move that conffile. A versioned Pre-Dependency on dpkg is needed to use dpkg-maintscript-helper(1). An appropriate Pre-Dependency is set in ${misc:Pre-Depends} ; you should make sure to put that token into an appropriate place in your debian/control file. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 8.9.0ubuntu2.1 2012-06-12 DH_INSTALLDEB(1)