Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed command throwing error while deleting a line from a file Post 302902826 by Corona688 on Thursday 22nd of May 2014 11:43:36 AM
Old 05-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek d r
Hi Corona, i have posted the contents of lineno using echo. it has "1"
Humor me... We don't know that it's not 1 or 1\r or what have you. In fact, do it like this:
Code:
printf "[%s]\n" "${lineno}" | hexdump -C

Your error messages in particular make me very very suspicious that a carriage return got into your statement somehow:

Code:
'ed: -e expression #1, char 2: unknown command: `

Look at that "ed". It said 'sed' until a carriage return kicked the cursor back to the beginning of the line, then overwrite the s with the ending '. I'd interpret that as sed: -e expression #1, char 2: unknown command: `\r'

Where do you get the value for your ${lineno} variable?
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting all content in a file from command line

Hey guys, I'd like to delete all text within a text file without actually deleting the file. Is there a vi command I can do from my prompt without actually going into the file and doing a %d i think it is... to remove all the text inside? I want to add this to a cron job to erase all the data... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingdbag
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote login/copy command throwing an error

Hi We had 3 server -hp112and hp146 here hp112 is production server and hp146 is staging server used for load. when i am trying to run follwing command rcp abc hp112:/dnbusr1/gbid/gbid02 it's trowing an error :- remshd: Login incorrect. But same command is working wise versa - rcp abc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashish_panpalia
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting a line from a file with sed and awk?

cat file.txt fvnuiehuewf ruevhxncvkjrh zxjvurhfuwe jkhvBEGINvfnvf ijrgioe Trying to delete a line that has the pattern "BEGIN" cat sedtest filename=file.txt pattern=BEGIN sed "/^$pattern/d" "$filename" (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting blank line and row containing certain words in single sed command

Hi Is it possible to do the following in a single command /usr/xpg4/bin/sed -e '/rows selected/d' /aemu/CALLAUTO/callauto.txt > /aemu/CALLAUTO/callautonew.txt /usr/xpg4/bin/sed -e '/^$/d' /aemu/CALLAUTO/callautonew.txt > /aemu/CALLAUTO/callauto_new.txt exit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mailx command in unix shell script, its throwing below error

How to use Mailx command in unix shell script, its throwing below error #!/bin/ksh let x=3 If ; then mailx -s “ $x is greater than 2” example@gmail.com << EOF This is the message body EOF fi its throwing error as syntax error at EOF... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting "user input line number" from a file using sed

Hi I want to delete a line from a txt file for which the line number is user input. Say when user selects 19, the 19th line would be deleted from the file. Can anyone please provide me with a sed one liner for the same... I tried sed -i. The interaction would be like this Enter the line to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudeep.id
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop with internal unix command in statement throwing error

Hi I've gotten a plugin script that won't run. I keeps throwing an error at the following line. for BARCODE_LINE in `cat ${TSP_FILEPATH_BARCODE_TXT} | grep "^barcode"` do #something done The error reads ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdilts
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting "user input line number" from a file using sed

Hi I want to delete a line from a txt file for which the line number is user input. Say when user selects 19, the 19th line would be deleted from the file. Can anyone please provide me with a sed one liner for the same... I tried sed -i. The interaction would be like this Enter the line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudeep.id
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk giving error ./sample.sh: line 13: sed: command not found

Hi, I am running a script sample.sh in bash environment .In the script i am using sed and awk commands which when executed individually from terminal they are getting executed normally but when i give these sed and awk commands in the script it is giving the below errors :- ./sample.sh: line... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: satishmallidi
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command within script wrongly deleting the last line

Hi, I have a shell script which has a for loop that scans list of files and do find and replace few variables using sed command. While doing this, it deletes the last line of all input file which is something wrong. how to fix this. please suggest. When i add an empty line in all my input file,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
5 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)