Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Solaris server read and write randomly slow Post 302902823 by Boogie on Thursday 22nd of May 2014 11:38:47 AM
Old 05-22-2014
Solaris server read and write randomly slow

Hi!

It's been a week now that connections to my server are slow. I can transfer one file of 6 GB at 50 MB/s but with a folder of the same size with multiple files I go down to 4 MB/s. Also, browsing a folder with multiple files takes a lot more time for the files to show. The only thing I've noticed to change since that moment is one of my drives started blinking at a different pace, it's lit when all the others are not, like it's not in sequence.

Here is some more info on my setup

Code:
Oracle Solaris 10 9/10 s10x_u9wos_14a X86
     Copyright (c) 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
                            Assembled 11 August 2010
sun os 5.10 architecture

-bash-3.00# iostat 5 5
   tty        sd3           sd4           sd5           sd6            cpu
 tin tout kps tps serv  kps tps serv  kps tps serv  kps tps serv   us sy wt id
   0  234 386  12   10  396  13   10  400  13    9  390  12    9    1  6  0 93
   0   47   2   0   14    2   0    8    6   1    7    2   0    7    2  3  0 95
   0   16 162  17    3  186  18    2  201  20    4  251  20    5    2  4  0 94
   0   16  15   2   16   10   2    4   11   4    4   12   2   10    2  3  0 95
   0   16   5   1    9    3   0   12    2   0   19   10   1    7    0  2  0 98

My server is zfs formatted with one big pool of 50TB. My clients are macs and pc's connected with smb and nfs

Code:
-bash-3.00# zpool iostat storage01
               capacity     operations    bandwidth
pool        alloc   free   read  write   read  write
----------  -----  -----  -----  -----  -----  -----
production  50.3T  25.7T    121     52  8.49M   963K

I'm kind of new with server maintenance and haven't been part of the initial setup, so I may be missing things who would be obvious to most sys admins, sorry in advance. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Code tags for code, please.

Last edited by Corona688; 05-22-2014 at 12:56 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

It seems last 20 min Server was very very Slow

Hi Guys, Since last 20-30 min Server was Too slow ..even few of times i got Database connection error. Thanks Sanjay Tripathi (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SanjayLinux
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

Server become too slow

Hi, Since last week our server become too slow when we try to run application on it. When we run top command, it show as below: So it's nothing to do with heavy utilization, right? Can you give some opinion on what actually had happended? Thank you very much... :b: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yeazas
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read line from file randomly

I have data file with customer.dat, and this contains the customer names >cat customer.dat FirstName1 LastName1 FistName2 LastName1 FistName3 MiddleName3 LastName3 This file can contain areoun 100 customer names. Regards, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: McLan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

use awk to read randomly located columns in an excel file

Hi, I have an excel file that have a random count of columns/fields and what im trying to do is to only retrieve all the rows under 2 specific field headers. I can use the usually command for awk which is awk 'print{ $1 $2}' > output.txt, but the location of the 2 specific field headers is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdap
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux server is slow

Hello, I am using Redhat redhat 4 update 4 kernal 2.6. My server is some time suddenly running slow. The averge cpu load goes up to 50 to 60. (There is only two CPU and usually, the averge load is between 1 to 2.5) That time, i see, there are several sessions connected. Normally, we have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files with group read OR group write OR user write permission

I need to find all the files that have group Read or Write permission or files that have user write permission. This is what I have so far: find . -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '/-...rw..w./ {print $1 " " $3 " " $4 " " $9}' It shows me all files where group read = true, group write = true... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter63
5 Replies

7. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Hard disk write performance very slow

Dear All, I have a hard disk in solaris on which the write performanc is too slow. The CPU , RAM memory are absolutely fine. What might be reason. Kindly explain. Rj (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
9 Replies

9. Infrastructure Monitoring

99% performance wa, slow server.

There is a big problem with the server (VPS based on OpenVZ, CentOS 5, 3GB RAM). The problem is the following. The first 15-20 minutes after starting the server is operating normally, the load average is less than or about 1.0, but then begins to increase sharply% wa, then hovers around 95-99%.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: draiphod
2 Replies
iostat(1)						      General Commands Manual							 iostat(1)

NAME
iostat - Reports I/O statistics SYNOPSIS
iostat [drive...] [interval] [count] OPERANDS
Forces iostat to display specific drives. If drive is not specified (or the specified drive does not exist on the system or cluster, iostat displays the first two drives (even if more than two disk drives are configured in the system). Causes iostat to report once each interval seconds. The first report is for all time since the system was last booted, and each subsequent report is for the last interval only.The value must not be 0. Specifies the number of reports. For example, iostat 1 10 would produce 10 reports at 1-second intervals. You cannot specify count without interval because the first numeric argument to iostat is assumed to be interval. DESCRIPTION
The iostat command reports the following information: For terminals (collectively), the number of characters read and written per second. For each disk, the number of transfers per second and bytes transferred per second (in kilobytes). For the system, the percentage of time the system has spent in user mode, in user mode running low priority (nice) processes, in system mode, and idling. To compute this information, iostat counts data transfer completions, the number of words transferred for each disk, and the collective number of input and output characters for terminals. Also, each sixtieth of a second, iostat examines the state of each disk and makes a tally if the disk is active. When you issue an iostat command on a cluster member, it displays statistics only for those disks that are local to the member and that member's usage of those shared disks that it has mounted. It displays 0 for other disks in the cluster (those it doesn't have mounted), regardless of whether they are on the shared bus or are local to some other member. EXAMPLES
The output from this example displays cpu, terminal, and disk statistics for the first two disks on the system providing 5 reports at 1 second intervals: # iostat 1 5 tty floppy1 dsk9 cpu tin tout bps tps bps tps us ni sy id 0 3 0 0 0 0 1 0 4 95 4 58 0 0 0 0 1 0 2 97 1 53 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 98 5 59 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 98 6 60 0 0 0 0 1 0 2 97 The second example specifies device names in the command: # iostat dsk2 dsk3 cdrom2 tty dsk2 cdrom2 dsk3 cpu tin tout bps tps bps tps bps tps us ni sy id 0 13 11 5 5 2 2427 1213 0 1 1 98 SEE ALSO
Commands:vmstat(1) iostat(1)