Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grand totals in awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grand totals in awk Post 302902642 by Corona688 on Wednesday 21st of May 2014 12:39:32 PM
Old 05-21-2014
That's a good idea, find will be simpler than ls here, but we want only files, not dirs...

Code:
find */statelist -type f -printf "%s\n" | awk '{ SUM+=$1 } END { print "sum " SUM }'

Where %s, to find, means 'size in bytes'. So we don't need to do any filtering in awk at all.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating totals in AWK

Hello, With the following small script I list the size of documents belonging to a certain user by each time selecting the bytes-field of that file ($7). Now it fills the array with every file it finds so in the end the output of some users contains up to 200.000 numbers. So how can I calculate... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hille
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

summarising totals in awk

awk ' FILENAME == "all" { balance += substr($0,17,13) dt = substr($0,6,8) } END { for ( name in balance ) printf("%013s %3s of %8s\n", balance/100,name,dt) | "sort " } ' all > summation using this code i wanted to take summary totals of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paresh n doshi
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Report Totals

Hello, I have written a script in a previous server and its being migrated to a new server. I'm trying to debug my script since i've had to make minor changes to it to get it to work. I'm having a hard time getting my totals to populate here is the syntax DUMP_COUNT=`sqlplus -S... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: senormarquez
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Totals in a file - incorrectly displaying

Afternoon, I have a script which creates/modifies data into a formatted csv. The trailer record should display 2 columns, the first is a static entry of "T" to identify it as a trailer record. The 2nd is a total of amounts in a column throughout the entire file. My total isn't displaying... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcclunyboy
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fritz Chess, Grand Master Challenge, running on Ubuntu

Chess game. Has anyone installed and run Fritz Grand Master Challenge chess on Ubuntu 11.10/ Unix? I have read about disappointments with different versions of wine, but not successes. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maaattt
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to sum a column based on duplicate strings in another column and show split totals

Hi, I have a similar input format- A_1 2 B_0 4 A_1 1 B_2 5 A_4 1 and looking to print in this output format with headers. can you suggest in awk?awk because i am doing some pattern matching from parent file to print column 1 of my input using awk already.Thanks! letter number_of_letters... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashob123
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to wait for a grand child to finish?

Hello all, I have a very basic question. I have a requirement where in, I have a main process which forks a child process, which execs and runs a c executable corresponding to a daemon. In the c executable corresponding to a daemon, as everyone does, I fork another child process, and as part of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai2krishna
7 Replies
SUM(1)								   User Commands							    SUM(1)

NAME
sum - checksum and count the blocks in a file SYNOPSIS
sum [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Print checksum and block counts for each FILE. -r use BSD sum algorithm, use 1K blocks -s, --sysv use System V sum algorithm, use 512 bytes blocks --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. AUTHOR
Written by Kayvan Aghaiepour and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report sum bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report sum translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for sum is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and sum programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'sum invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.12.197-032bb September 2011 SUM(1)