Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove multiple lines from a text file Post 302902562 by SriniShoo on Wednesday 21st of May 2014 06:47:55 AM
Old 05-21-2014
Code:
awk 'NR == FNR {a[$0]; next}
  {if(! (FNR in a)) {print}}' list.txt main.txt

This User Gave Thanks to SriniShoo For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to remove multiple text from a single file

Dear all, I have a file which have let us say records from A-Z. Now I want to remove multiple letter from this file using single command.. let us say I want to remove A,F,K,Y,U,P,B,S,D. I can use grep -v command but for this case i need to rerun the file several time i wana avoid using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojo123
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash help]Adding multiple lines of text into a specific spot into a text file

I am attempting to insert multiple lines of text into a specific place in a text file based on the lines above or below it. For example, Here is a portion of a zone file. IN NS ns1.domain.tld. IN NS ns2.domain.tld. IN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdn_humbucker
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove blank lines and comments from text file

Hi, I am using BASH. How can I remove any lines in a text file that are either blank or begin with a # (ie. comments)? Thanks in advance. Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove multiple lines in the file

Hi, How to remove duplicate lines in the file. a ------ b c 24 23 a ---- c b (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to generate multiple lines in a text file?

Hello, I want to create a file whose content is multiple lines of strings. The string has the following pattern: aaaa/bbbb/A-B.txt A is a variable ranges from A1 to A2 B is a variable ranges from B1 to B2 Any ideas? Thanks. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: vic005
17 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process multiple lines in a text file

Hi All I have text file like this: a=21ej c=3tiu32 e=hydkehw f=hgdiuw g=jhdkj a=klkjhvl b=dlkjhyfd a=yo c=8732 Any way I can process data from first a to just before of second a, and then second a to just before of 3rd one. Just fetching records like that will help, I mean... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandipjee
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep multiple lines from a text file using another text file?

I would like to use grep to select multiple lines from a text file using a single-column text file. Basically I want to only select lines from the first text file where the second column of the first text file matches the second text file. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search multiple patterns and remove lines from a file?

Hi, I have a file content as below. Table : PAYR Displayed fields: 15 of 15 Fixed columns: 4 List width 0999... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shirdi
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to remove lines from file that match text

I am trying to remove each line in which $2 is FP or RFP. I believe the below will remove one instance but not both. Thank you :). file 12 123 FP 11 10 RFP awk awk -F'\t' ' $2 != "FP"' file desired output 12 11 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove newline character from column spread over multiple lines in a file

Hi, I came across one issue recently where output from one of the columns of the table from where i am creating input file has newline characters hence, record in the file is spread over multiple lines. Fields in the file are separated by pipe (|) delimiter. As header will never have newline... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathmesh
4 Replies
X2SYS_MERGE(1gmt)					       Generic Mapping Tools						 X2SYS_MERGE(1gmt)

NAME
x2sys_merge - Merge an updated COEs tables SYNOPSIS
x2sys_merge -Amain_COElist.d -Mnew_COElist.d DESCRIPTION
x2sys_merge will read two crossovers data base and output the contents of the main one updated with the COEs in the second one. The second file should only contain updated COEs relatively to the first one. That is, it MUST NOT contain any new two tracks intersections (This point is NOT checked in the code). This program is useful when, for any good reason like file editing NAV correction or whatever, one had to recompute only the COEs between the edited files and the rest of the database. -A Specify the file main_COElist.d with the main crossover error data base. -M Specify the file new_COElist.d with the newly computed crossover error data base. OPTIONS
No space between the option flag and the associated arguments. EXAMPLES To update the main COE_data.txt with the new COEs estimations saved in the smaller COE_fresh.txt, try x2sys_merge -ACOE_data.txt -MCOE_fresh.txt > COE_updated.txt SEE ALSO
x2sys_binlist(1), x2sys_cross(1), x2sys_datalist(1), x2sys_get(1), x2sys_init(1), x2sys_list(1), x2sys_put(1), x2sys_report(1) GMT 4.5.7 15 Jul 2011 X2SYS_MERGE(1gmt)