Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Available design options for a cluster hosting many different virtualized Solaris versions Post 302902529 by Peasant on Wednesday 21st of May 2014 02:06:50 AM
Old 05-21-2014
Best scenario you would like to use is (and cheapest) :

Install Solaris 11.1 (do not install beta version), it will come with Oracle VM server for sparc on all physical nodes since you currently have multiple version of Solaris in production.

Check to have everything the same version on all physical hosts, this is important (firmware, Os version etc.)

Configure it, and create as much ldoms as you need and migrate your Solaris installations on it.
Oracle VM Server for SPARC Physical-to-Virtual Conversion Tool - Oracle VM Server for SPARC 3.1 Administration Guide

Requirement is to have FC or similar tech (NFS, ISCSI), so all the physical hosts see all the network disks and are logically configured with same names on all physical hosts.

This will enable you to live migrate a ldom from host to host with no downtime or import tje configuration of ldom and boot it on another host in case of failure (you will need to backup ldom xml configuration from all physical hosts on external location).

You can, of course, have local disks ldoms, but those are prone to single host failure, but such configuration can be used if you have SC between two ldoms on two physical hosts.

In the above example, you will not be using SC, for SC scenario is much alike but then clusterware is doing all the migrations and booting in case of failure or switching.
This User Gave Thanks to Peasant For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris versions

Hi, Does anyone know if the various releases of Solaris are archived anywhere? I work for a DR company and it would be useful to have different releases of a Solaris version number i.e. Solaris 10 6/06 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: callmebob
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Design Options for Property Files

Dear all, Hello and Good Morning. I have a properties file in a specific directory in UNIX that can be accessed by certain users. This properties file is being used by a number of backend programs. The properties file contain the username and the password of the database as well. How do I design... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jackal28
1 Replies

3. High Performance Computing

Building a Solaris Cluster Express cluster in a VirtualBox on OpenSolaris

Provides a description of how to set up a Solaris Cluster Express cluster in a VirtualBox on OpenSolaris. More... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

4. Solaris

How to know which versions we are using c, c++ in Solaris.

How to know which versions we are using c, c++ in Solaris. Thanks & Regards Durgaprasad (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 - Zones - Design thoughts

Good morning to one and all :-) About to set up a M5000 server, then create a few zones to port over a few apps. So, anyone had experience of zones ? and what things I need to consider / design / workout before hand ?? I need to work out whats going to be ported over, what the ip... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MilesWeb.com shared hosting or unlimited hosting plans?

I want to host a website in India, after all my research I have found MilesWeb.com, I am planning to go for their shared plan http://www.milesweb.com/cpanel-hosting.php I have test their contact options and response time, they are really available 24/7. I have checked few other providers, they... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Guruguy
1 Replies
nca.if(4)                                                          File Formats                                                          nca.if(4)

NAME
nca.if - the NCA configuration file that specifies physical interfaces SYNOPSIS
/etc/nca/nca.if DESCRIPTION
Specify the physical interfaces for which the Solaris Network Cache and Accelerator ("NCA") feature will be configured in the nca.if con- figuration file. List the physical interfaces in the file, one per line. To configure NCA to listen on all physical interfaces present on the system backed by a hostname.{interface_name}, then list only an asterik ("*") in nca.if. When the ncakmod(1) initialization script is invoked during system boot, it will attempt to configure each physical interface specified in the nca.if file by using ncaconfd(1M). Note that there must be an accompanying hostname.{interface_name} file and an entry in /etc/hosts for the contents of hostname.{interface_name}. You must reboot in order to implement changes to the nca.if file. EXAMPLES
x86 Example 1: nca.if on x86 The following is an example of an nca.if file that would be used on an x86 system: iprb1 iprb6 iprb8 SPARC Example 2: nca.if on SPARC The following is an example of an nca.if file that would be used on a SPARC system: hme2 hme3 hme4 All Platforms Example 3: Configuring NCA to Listen on All Physical Interfaces The following example shows the contents of an nca.if file that would be used to configure either platform to listen on all physical inter- faces present on the system: * FILES
/etc/nca/nca.if Lists the physical interfaces on which NCA will run. /etc/hostname.{}{0-9} Lists all physical interfaces configured on the server. /etc/hosts Lists all host names associated with the server. Entries in this file must match with entries in /etc/host- name.{}{0-9} for NCA to function. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWncar | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nca(1), ncab2clf(1), ncakmod(1), ifconfig(1M), ncakmod.conf(4), ncalogd.conf(4), attributes(5) System Administration Guide: IP Services SunOS 5.10 18 Feb 2003 nca.if(4)