Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to match fields surrounded by double quotes with commas? Post 302902502 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 20th of May 2014 08:19:05 PM
Old 05-20-2014
Assuming your text is in a file named file, try:
Code:
awk -F '"' '
{	for(i = 2; i <= NF; i += 2)
		if(index($i, ","))
			printf("\"%s\"\n", $i)
}' file

If you want to try this on a Solaris/SunOS system, change awk to /usr/xpg4/bin/awk, /usr/xpg6/bin/awk, or nawk.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 05-20-2014 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: Fix auto spell-check fix error.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

how to pass variables surrounded in double quotes to awk?

Hi, I'm making progress on this but hung up on one last detail. I'd like to use AWK to pass the system date and time(among other things) to the first line of a file. Here's what I have: BEGIN {TOTALPP = 0;FREEPP=0;USEDPP=0;print "LPAR NAME:",lpar,"DATE:",tdate } I call AWK with the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cruiser
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting strings surrounded by parentheses and seperate by commas

Excuse the terrible title. I have a text file of 1..n lines, each one containing at least one string between parentheses. Within each string, there is one or more strings separated by commas. I need to extract each string, thus: input file: (THIS,THAT) (THE,OTHER) (THING) (OR,MAYBE)... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpfeif
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find the count of commas in a string excluding the ones in double quotes

Hi, my requirement is to find the count of commas in a string excluding the ones in double quotes. For example: If the input string is abc,xyz.com,lmhgdf,"abc, 401 street","tty,stt",45,23,45 The output should be 7 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitshete
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect scripting - How to match a double quotes " "

I am trying to match a text which contains the " ", from the log file. But it doesn't match. I understand that " " has got a special meaning to TCL/Expect. hence I tried the following, but no luck. expect -ex { "lp -c -demail -ot\\\"firstname_surname@gmail.com\\\"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakasuj
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP with AWK or SED. Need to replace the commas between double quotes in CSV file

Hello experts, I need to validate a csv file which contains data like this: Sample.csv "ABCD","I",23,0,9,,"23/12/2012","OK","Street,State, 91135",0 "ABCD","I",23,0,9,,"23/12/2012","OK","Street,State, 91135",0 I just need to check if all the records contain exactly the number of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell_boy23
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve commas inside double quotes (perl)

Hi, I have an input file like this $ cat infile hi,i,"am , sam", y hello ,good, morning abcd, " ef, gh " ,ij no, "good,morning", yes, "good , afternoon" from this file I have to split the fields on basis of comma"," however, I the data present inside double qoutes should be treated as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print - fields separated with comma's need to ignore inbetween double quotes

I am trying to re-format a .csv file using awk. I have 6 fields in the .csv file. Some of the fields are enclosed in double quotes and contain comma's inside the quotes. awk is breaking this into multiple fields. Sample lines from the .csv file: Device Name,Personnel,Date,Solution... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jxrst
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete the commas in a .CSV file that are enclosed in a string with double quotes?

Okay, I would like to delete all the commas in a .CSV file (TEST.CSV) or at least substitute them with empty space, that are enclosed in double quote. Please see the sample file as below: column 1,column 2,column 3,column 4,column 5,column 6,column 7,column 8,column 9,column 10... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script that should remove unnecessary commas between double quotes in CSV file

i have data as below 123,"paul phiri",paul@yahoo.com,"po.box 23, BT","Eco Bank,Blantyre,Malawi" i need an output to be 123,"paul phiri",paul@yahoo.com,"po.box 23 BT","Eco Bank Blantyre Malawi" (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mathias23
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Double quotes within double quotes in a column with space while loading a CSV file

Hi All, I'm unable to load the data using sql loader where there are double quotes within the double quotes As these are optionally enclosed by double quotes. Sample Data : "221100",138.00,"D","0019/1477","44012075","49938","49938/15043000","Television - 22" Refurbished - Airwave","Supply... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlavanya
6 Replies
DBLINK_BUILD_SQL_INSERT(3)				  PostgreSQL 9.2.7 Documentation				DBLINK_BUILD_SQL_INSERT(3)

NAME
dblink_build_sql_insert - builds an INSERT statement using a local tuple, replacing the primary key field values with alternative supplied values SYNOPSIS
dblink_build_sql_insert(text relname, int2vector primary_key_attnums, integer num_primary_key_atts, text[] src_pk_att_vals_array, text[] tgt_pk_att_vals_array) returns text DESCRIPTION
dblink_build_sql_insert can be useful in doing selective replication of a local table to a remote database. It selects a row from the local table based on primary key, and then builds a SQL INSERT command that will duplicate that row, but with the primary key values replaced by the values in the last argument. (To make an exact copy of the row, just specify the same values for the last two arguments.) ARGUMENTS
relname Name of a local relation, for example foo or myschema.mytab. Include double quotes if the name is mixed-case or contains special characters, for example "FooBar"; without quotes, the string will be folded to lower case. primary_key_attnums Attribute numbers (1-based) of the primary key fields, for example 1 2. num_primary_key_atts The number of primary key fields. src_pk_att_vals_array Values of the primary key fields to be used to look up the local tuple. Each field is represented in text form. An error is thrown if there is no local row with these primary key values. tgt_pk_att_vals_array Values of the primary key fields to be placed in the resulting INSERT command. Each field is represented in text form. RETURN VALUE
Returns the requested SQL statement as text. NOTES
As of PostgreSQL 9.0, the attribute numbers in primary_key_attnums are interpreted as logical column numbers, corresponding to the column's position in SELECT * FROM relname. Previous versions interpreted the numbers as physical column positions. There is a difference if any column(s) to the left of the indicated column have been dropped during the lifetime of the table. EXAMPLES
SELECT dblink_build_sql_insert('foo', '1 2', 2, '{"1", "a"}', '{"1", "b''a"}'); dblink_build_sql_insert -------------------------------------------------- INSERT INTO foo(f1,f2,f3) VALUES('1','b''a','1') (1 row) PostgreSQL 9.2.7 2014-02-17 DBLINK_BUILD_SQL_INSERT(3)