Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Available design options for a cluster hosting many different virtualized Solaris versions Post 302902406 by Lyxix on Tuesday 20th of May 2014 11:34:21 AM
Old 05-20-2014
Oracle Getting there...

Peasant:

Thanks so much for your help, and what a huge help it was! I read what you wrote, researched a bit more on LDOMs (that I now know is synonymous with Oracle VM Server, thanks to you), and read an article that someone suggested to me on another site:

ht tps :// blogs.oracle.com/orasysat/entry/zones_clusters_clustering_zones_zoneclusters

This is what it looks like I need to learn about and implement. How does this sound for an extremely broad overview:

Step 1) Cluster the 4 physical servers together (figure out what type of cluster I need, and use Oracle Cluster 4.x on top of Solaris 11.1 or maybe 11.2 beta?)

Step 2) Create Zoneclusters, probably one for each type of OS I need to run (a Sol 8 ZC, and a Sol 10 ZC, and then possibly a Sol 11 ZC to try to migrate the systems up if possible...)

Step 3) Create Logical Domains (LDOMs) for each of my old systems, and put them on the zone clusters, using Oracle VM Server.

In this setup, if a node fails, the virtual system will go down, but I should be able to configure it to start up another node automatically with minimal downtime for the virtual systems?

I realize "I should be" is reaching, since I have virtually zilch cluster experience and limited Solaris experience, but let's rephrase that to "it's possible to". I realize I have a lot of work ahead of me, but thankfully I have no strict time limits to get this implemented and can work one step at a time.

As far as cost goes, the one good thing is that, per the Oracle license agreement, you don't need to pay for SC while it's in the development stages. Directly from the OTN License Agreement for Oracle Solaris Cluster:

"You may not:

- use the Programs for your own internal business purposes (other than developing, testing, prototyping and demonstrating your applications)"

Only after I get the thing actually working and implemented will we have to shell out the big bucks. Presuming I do get it working, I will have achieved the "proof of concept" with these cheaper T5220 servers and the company will then be willing to buy some nice T4's or better to go along with the pricey software.

Thanks so much for your help - does this all sound correct so far?

-Lyxix

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris versions

Hi, Does anyone know if the various releases of Solaris are archived anywhere? I work for a DR company and it would be useful to have different releases of a Solaris version number i.e. Solaris 10 6/06 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: callmebob
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Design Options for Property Files

Dear all, Hello and Good Morning. I have a properties file in a specific directory in UNIX that can be accessed by certain users. This properties file is being used by a number of backend programs. The properties file contain the username and the password of the database as well. How do I design... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jackal28
1 Replies

3. High Performance Computing

Building a Solaris Cluster Express cluster in a VirtualBox on OpenSolaris

Provides a description of how to set up a Solaris Cluster Express cluster in a VirtualBox on OpenSolaris. More... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

4. Solaris

How to know which versions we are using c, c++ in Solaris.

How to know which versions we are using c, c++ in Solaris. Thanks & Regards Durgaprasad (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 - Zones - Design thoughts

Good morning to one and all :-) About to set up a M5000 server, then create a few zones to port over a few apps. So, anyone had experience of zones ? and what things I need to consider / design / workout before hand ?? I need to work out whats going to be ported over, what the ip... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MilesWeb.com shared hosting or unlimited hosting plans?

I want to host a website in India, after all my research I have found MilesWeb.com, I am planning to go for their shared plan http://www.milesweb.com/cpanel-hosting.php I have test their contact options and response time, they are really available 24/7. I have checked few other providers, they... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Guruguy
1 Replies
o2cb_ctl(8)							OCFS2 Manual Pages						       o2cb_ctl(8)

NAME
o2cb_ctl - Control program for the O2CB cluster service. SYNOPSIS
o2cb_ctl -C -n object -t type [-i] [-a attribute ] o2cb_ctl -D -n object [-u] o2cb_ctl -I [-o-z] -l manager> [-n object>] [-t type] [-a attribute] o2cb_ctl -H [-n object] [-t type>] [-a attribute>] o2cb_ctl -h o2cb_ctl -V DESCRIPTION
o2cb_ctl is the control program for the O2CB cluster service. Users are not advised to use this program directly but instead use the O2CB init service and/or ocfs2console. OPTIONS
-C Create an object in the OCFS2 Cluster Configuration. -D Delete an object from the existing OCFS2 Cluster Configuration. -I Print information about the OCFS2 Cluster Configuration. -H Change an object or objects in the existing OCFS2 Cluster Configuration. -h Displays help and exit. -V Print version and exit. OTHER OPTIONS
-a <attribute> With -C, <attribute> is in format "parameter=value", where the parameter is a valid parameter that can be set in the file /etc/ocfs2/cluster.conf. With -I, <attribute> may be "parameter", indicating an attribute to be listed in the output, or it may be "parameter==value", indicating that only objects matching "parameter=value" are to be displayed. -i Valid only with -C. When creating something (node or cluster), it will also install it in the live cluster. If the parameter is not specified, then only update the /etc/ocfs2/cluster.conf. -n object object is usually the node name or cluster name. In the /etc/ocfs2/cluster.conf file, it would be the value of the name parameter for any of the sections (cluster or node). -o Valid only with -I. Using this parameter, if one asks o2cb_ctl to list all nodes, it will output it in a format suitable for shell parsing. -t type type can be cluster, node or heartbeat. -u Valid only with -D. When deleting something (node or cluster), it will also remove it from the live cluster. If the parameter is not specified, then only update the /etc/ocfs2/cluster.conf. -z Valid only with -I. This is the default. If one asks o2cb_ctl to list all nodes, it will give a verbose listing. EXAMPLES
Add node5 to an offline cluster: $ o2cb_ctl -C -n node5 -t node -a number=5 -a ip_address=192.168.0.5 -a ip_port=7777 -a cluster=mycluster Add node10 to an online cluster: $ o2cb_ctl -C -i -n node10 -t node -a number=10 -a ip_address=192.168.1.10 -a ip_port=7777 -a cluster=mycluster Note the -i argument. Query the IP address of node5: $ o2cb_ctl -I -n node5 -a ip_address Change the IP address of node5: $ o2cb_ctl -H -n node5 -a ip_address=192.168.1.5 SEE ALSO
mkfs.ocfs2(8) fsck.ocfs2(8) tunefs.ocfs2(8) mounted.ocfs2(8) ocfs2console(8) o2cb(7) AUTHORS
Oracle Corporation COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004, 2010 Oracle. All rights reserved. Version 1.6.4 September 2010 o2cb_ctl(8)