Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Available design options for a cluster hosting many different virtualized Solaris versions Post 302902236 by Lyxix on Monday 19th of May 2014 02:40:36 PM
Old 05-19-2014
Oracle Available design options for a cluster hosting many different virtualized Solaris versions

Good day, everyone, and thanks first off for reading my question.

So, I have been Googling and reading oracle documentation for the past couple weeks, and I am just getting more and more confused as to what I need to do, and I would really appreciate some guidance or at least pointing me to what specifically I should be reading.

Situation: We have several 10+ year old Solaris systems, running either Solaris 8 or 10, that hold several mission-critical systems for business operation. These systems are rapidly dying and need to be migrated to a newer system. They are old systems that require very few resources to run, but are critical nonetheless.

So far: We have purchased four T5220 SPARC servers, with 8 cores and 64GB of RAM each. They have arrived, and I am ready to start building the "solution".

The intent: To be able to take system images of these old systems, virtualize them, and have them run on some type of high-availability cluster solution that will keep them operational, even if one (or possibly two) of the four physical T5220 servers failed.

Question: How should I do this? It seemed like a simple idea to start out with. My initial thoughts were to install Solaris 11 on each of the four servers, cluster them together with Oracle cluster, run a Hypervisor of some type as a cluster application (Oracle VM?) on top of the physical cluster, and then drop all of the virtual machines on top of that hypervisor. That way, the virtual machines should run uninterrupted if a cluster node fails.

Is this feasible? Possible? What is the right terminology here so I know what to be researching? I didn't think this would be so hard, but I can't even find a good white paper/document to read - they all seem to be focused to something other than what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions for how I should accomplish this or where I can go to find the information I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

-Lyxix

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris versions

Hi, Does anyone know if the various releases of Solaris are archived anywhere? I work for a DR company and it would be useful to have different releases of a Solaris version number i.e. Solaris 10 6/06 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: callmebob
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Design Options for Property Files

Dear all, Hello and Good Morning. I have a properties file in a specific directory in UNIX that can be accessed by certain users. This properties file is being used by a number of backend programs. The properties file contain the username and the password of the database as well. How do I design... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jackal28
1 Replies

3. High Performance Computing

Building a Solaris Cluster Express cluster in a VirtualBox on OpenSolaris

Provides a description of how to set up a Solaris Cluster Express cluster in a VirtualBox on OpenSolaris. More... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

4. Solaris

How to know which versions we are using c, c++ in Solaris.

How to know which versions we are using c, c++ in Solaris. Thanks & Regards Durgaprasad (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 - Zones - Design thoughts

Good morning to one and all :-) About to set up a M5000 server, then create a few zones to port over a few apps. So, anyone had experience of zones ? and what things I need to consider / design / workout before hand ?? I need to work out whats going to be ported over, what the ip... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MilesWeb.com shared hosting or unlimited hosting plans?

I want to host a website in India, after all my research I have found MilesWeb.com, I am planning to go for their shared plan http://www.milesweb.com/cpanel-hosting.php I have test their contact options and response time, they are really available 24/7. I have checked few other providers, they... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Guruguy
1 Replies
SYSTEMD-DETECT-VIRT(1)						systemd-detect-virt					    SYSTEMD-DETECT-VIRT(1)

NAME
systemd-detect-virt - Detect execution in a virtualized environment SYNOPSIS
systemd-detect-virt [OPTIONS...] DESCRIPTION
systemd-detect-virt detects execution in a virtualized environment. It identifies the virtualization technology and can distinguish full machine virtualization from container virtualization. systemd-detect-virt exits with a return value of 0 (success) if a virtualization technology is detected, and non-zero (error) otherwise. By default, any type of virtualization is detected, and the options --container and --vm can be used to limit what types of virtualization are detected. When executed without --quiet will print a short identifier for the detected virtualization technology. The following technologies are currently identified: Table 1. Known virtualization technologies (both VM, i.e. full hardware virtualization, and container, i.e. shared kernel virtualization) +----------+----------------+--------------------------------------+ |Type | ID | Product | +----------+----------------+--------------------------------------+ |VM | qemu | QEMU software virtualization, | | | | without KVM | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | kvm | Linux KVM kernel virtual machine, | | | | with whatever software, except | | | | Oracle Virtualbox | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | zvm | s390 z/VM | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | vmware | VMware Workstation or Server, and | | | | related products | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | microsoft | Hyper-V, also known as Viridian or | | | | Windows Server Virtualization | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | oracle | Oracle VM VirtualBox (historically | | | | marketed by innotek and Sun | | | | Microsystems), | | | | for legacy and KVM | | | | hypervisor | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | xen | Xen hypervisor (only domU, not dom0) | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | bochs | Bochs Emulator | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | uml | User-mode Linux | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | parallels | Parallels Desktop, Parallels Server | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | bhyve | bhyve, FreeBSD hypervisor | +----------+----------------+--------------------------------------+ |Container | openvz | OpenVZ/Virtuozzo | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | lxc | Linux container implementation by | | | | LXC | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | lxc-libvirt | Linux container implementation by | | | | libvirt | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | systemd-nspawn | systemd's minimal container | | | | implementation, see systemd- | | | | nspawn(1) | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | docker | Docker container manager | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | rkt | rkt app container runtime | +----------+----------------+--------------------------------------+ If multiple virtualization solutions are used, only the "innermost" is detected and identified. That means if both machine and container virtualization are used in conjunction, only the latter will be identified (unless --vm is passed). OPTIONS
The following options are understood: -c, --container Only detects container virtualization (i.e. shared kernel virtualization). -v, --vm Only detects hardware virtualization). -r, --chroot Detect whether invoked in a chroot(2) environment. In this mode, no output is written, but the return value indicates whether the process was invoked in a chroot() environment or not. --private-users Detect whether invoked in a user namespace. In this mode, no output is written, but the return value indicates whether the process was invoked inside of a user namespace or not. See user_namespaces(7) for more information. -q, --quiet Suppress output of the virtualization technology identifier. -h, --help Print a short help text and exit. --version Print a short version string and exit. EXIT STATUS
If a virtualization technology is detected, 0 is returned, a non-zero code otherwise. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-nspawn(1), chroot(2), namespaces(7) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-DETECT-VIRT(1)