Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Discard part of a file based on a pattern --- Post 302902184 by eagle_fly on Monday 19th of May 2014 07:59:31 AM
Old 05-19-2014
Discard part of a file based on a pattern ---

I have the file:

Code:
s3_T0(2) Pos  "1" "2"
s1_T1(2) Pos  "1" "2"
---
0 0
1 0
0 1
1 1
---
1 2 "tau0"
1 2 "h10"

I want to patternmatch on ---
and get only the third part i.e.

Code:
1 2 "tau0"
1 2 "h10"

I wanted to start simple but even something like
Code:
awk '/---/{x="F"++i;}{print > x;}' file2

does not work.
Any suggestion appreciated.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags for your code as well as file content and terminal output. Thank you.

Last edited by bakunin; 05-19-2014 at 12:17 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to change a particular value in a file based on a pattern

how to change a particular value in a line of a file based on a pattern eg: source file will be like ================= 99999999999 maximum number(0) ksuisikjjsl;;l skjss''llsl minimum number 0000000 maximum number of golds(0) target should be like ================= ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: orbeyen
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

listing Directory chronologically based on part of file name

hi Everbody, I had file names as shown file_01_20101104.txt file_01_20101105.txt file_02_20101104.txt file_01_20101205.txt file_03_20101104.txt file_02_20101105.txt Now i want to list them based on the date in the file name as shown... file_01_20101104.txt file_02_20101104.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reddy482
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing Part of a variable based on a pattern

Hi All, I am writing a script to work with files in a folder. The files are all in the following patterns (without quotes): "some filename - NxNN - the end.YYY" or "some filename - NNxNN - the end.YYY" Where N = a single number and YYY is the extension. Basically what I want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgtbobie
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find pattern and discard lines before it?

Hi all, I'd like to search a file for the first occurence of the phrase "PLASTICS THAT EXPIRE" and then discard all the lines that came before it. Output the remainder to a new file. Operating system is hp-ux. I've searched for usual awk and sed one liners but can't find a solution. Thank... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove part of a file based on identifiers

here below is a part of the file cat fileName.txt NAME=APP-VA-va_mediaservices-113009-VA_MS_MEDIA_SERVER_NOT_PRESENT-S FIXED=false DATE= 2013-02-19 03:46:04.4 PRIORITY=HIGH RESOURCE NAME=ccm113 NAME=APP-DS-ds_ha-140020-databaseReplicationFailure-S FIXED=false DATE= 2013-02-19... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a part of file based on string identifiers

consider below file contents cat myOutputFIle.txt 8 CCM-HQE-ResourceHealthCheck: Resource List : No RED/UNKNOWN resource Health entries found ---------------------------------------------------------- 9 CCM-TraderLogin-Status: Number of logins: 0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting textfile based on pattern and name new file after pattern

Hi there, I am pretty new to those things, so I couldn't figure out how to solve this, and if it is actually that easy. just found that awk could help:(. so i have a textfile with strings and numbers (originally copy pasted from word, therefore some empty cells) in the following structure: SC... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: luja
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding pattern in a text file and returning a part of the word

Dear All, assume that we have a text file or a folder of files, I want to find this pattern followers*.csv in the text file , and get * as the output. There are different matches and * means every character. Thank you in advance. Best, David (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: davidfreed
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Split one file to many based on pattern

Hello All, I have records in a file in a pattern A,B,B,B,B,K,A,B,B,K Is there any command or simple logic I can pull out records into multiple files based on A record? I want output as File1: A,B,B,B,B,K File2: A,B,B,K (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: deal1dealer
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Splitting a file based on a pattern

Hi All, I am having a problem. I tried to extract the chunk of data and tried to fix I am not able to. Any help please Basically I need to remove the for , values after K, this is how it is now A,, B, C,C, D,D, 12/04/10,12/04/10, K,1,1,1,1,0,3.0, K,1,1,1,2,0,4.0,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)