Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Basic loop awk/shell script question.. Post 302902050 by Aia on Saturday 17th of May 2014 08:46:27 PM
Old 05-17-2014
Quote:
oline=`echo ${from}"\t"${to}`
echo, most likely, need the flag -e in order to interpret the backslash

Code:
oline=`echo -e ${from}"\t"${to}`

This User Gave Thanks to Aia For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic shell scripting question

If I did indeed grep something out of it, why woudln't $result show nothing? When I do $? , it does show success... What is the proper syntax so that $result shows actual thing it's grepping out? result=`(ssh $host tail -1 /something/somethingelse) | egrep -i "value" >dev/null` #echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A basic question of FOR loop

Hi, have a basic query. Please see the below code: list="one two three" for var in $list ; do echo $var list="nolist" Done Wht if I want to print only first/ last line in the list Eg one & three Regards er_ashu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic awk question...getting awk to act on $1 of the command itself

I have a script problem that I am not able to solve due my very limited understanding of unix/awk. This is the contents of test.sh awk '{print $1}' From the prompt if I enter: ./test.sh Hello World I would expect to see "Hello" but all I get is a blank line. Only then if I enter "Hello... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JasonHamm
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

really basic for loop question

sorry for being dumb here, but is there a way my for loop can take an entire line of a file into consideration instead of each word in a line... ill explain if i have a file like this # cat list serial: 23124 hostname: server1 and a script that does this # cat list.sh #!/bin/sh ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic script question

I'm trying to approach a problem but all I'm coming up with are complex ways to manipulate the data. But still not getting the desired outcome. directory of files.... file-100-foo file-100-man file-100-chu Need to copy the files and increment the number in the file name ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: suphawk
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script / Grep / Awk to variable and Loop

Hi, I have a text file with data in that I wish to extract, assign to a variable and process through a loop. Kind of the process that I am after: 1: Grep the text file for the values. Currently using: cat /root/test.txt | grep TESTING= | awk -F"=" '{ a = $2 } {print a}' | sort -u ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spoonless
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Very Basic Question regarding "while" loop

Hi, I have a loop like this - while read item do // fire insert query done < itemList.txt The itemList.txt has say, 1000 records. Now what I do is that rhough another program, I make the itemList.txt EMPTY, but still the INSERT query keeps firing the sequence of records. ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman_ag
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Shell basic loop massive n00b

hey guys I would really appreciate some help, i need to do a project for a job that requires minimal UNIX scripting and im REALLY stuck basically Im stuck at what i believe is something really simple but i just dont have a clue how to do it efficiently and properly and i REALLY appreciate some... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: thurft
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about a basic shell script: How to make sure it receives only one input?

Hello all! I am very new to shell and Linux in general (I just started 2 days ago), I am trying to write a script that adds the size of the directories and files in a given directory and displays messages if the user puts in something wrong. I think I have covered all the possible problems except... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2358
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic question on shell script execution

I have two shell scripts in the different directories listed below, /root/dev/dir1/test.sh /root/dev/dir2/master.sh I am executing the master.sh script from the test.sh like below and getting 'Permission denied' error. #! /bin/sh #test.sh path='/root/dev' $path/dir2/master.sh But it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
2 Replies
COLORS(3)						   libbash colors Library Manual						 COLORS(3)

NAME
colors -- libbash library for setting tty colors. SYNOPSIS
colorSet <color> colorReset colorPrint [<indent>] <color> <text> colorPrintN [<indent>] <color> <text> DESCRIPTION
General colors is a collection of functions that make it very easy to put colored text on tty. The function list: colorSet Sets the color of the prints to the tty to COLOR colorReset Resets current tty color back to normal colorPrint Prints TEXT in the color COLOR indented by INDENT (without adding a newline) colorPrintN The same as colorPrint, but trailing newline is added Detailed interface description follows. Available colors: Green Red Yellow White The color parameter is non-case-sensitive (i.e. RED, red, ReD, and all the other forms are valid and are the same as Red). FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
colorSet <color> Sets the current printing color to color. colorReset Resets current tty color back to normal. colorPrint [<indent>] <color> Prints text using the color color indented by indent (without adding a newline). Parameters: <indent> The column to move to before start printing. This parameter is optional. If ommitted - start output from current cursor position. <color> The color to use. <color> The text to print. colorPrintN [<indent>] <color> The same as colorPrint, except a trailing newline is added. EXAMPLES
Printing a green 'Hello World' with a newline: Using colorSet: $ colorSet green $ echo 'Hello World' $ colorReset Using colorPrint: $ colorPrint 'Hello World'; echo Using colorPrintN: $ colorPrintN 'Hello World' AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux