Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Splitting XML file on basis of line number into multiple file Post 302902036 by Don Cragun on Saturday 17th of May 2014 04:39:44 PM
Old 05-17-2014
This is the second thread you have started on this topic. The other thread: Splitting a file into 4 files containing the same name pattern was closed because you changed the requirements after you had been given solutions to your original problem, refused to answer basic questions about what the input looked like, and refused to show us that you had made any attempt to solve the problem on your own.

This thread seems to be following a similar path. And, trying to piece together a description of your input file based on tidbits from both threads only makes it clear that the descriptions we have seen in this thread do NOT match the sample data provided in the other thread.

Before we spend any more time on this thread, please:
  1. Show us what the file headers look like.
  2. Show us what the file trailer looks like.
  3. Show us ALL of the changes that need to be made to the file headers for the four files that you want your script to create.
  4. Show us a sample of a few of the (15 line) records from your input (with private data, if there is any, scrubbed). Or much better, provide us with a complete sample input file we can upload containing 10 (doesn't have to be 10, but it needs to be at least 5 and not an even multiple of 4) records and provide us with four output files we can upload that your script should produce from that input file!
  5. Show us what code you have written to try to solve your problem and show us what it does correctly and what it doesn't do correctly.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting a file (xml) into multiple files

To split the files Hi, I'm having a xml file with multiple xml header. so i want to split the file into multiple files. Test.xml --------- <?xml version="UTF_8"> <emp: ....> <name>a</name> <age>10</age> </emp> <?xml version="UTF_8"> <emp: ....> <name>b</name> <age>10</age>... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasi_u
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split one file to Multiple file with report basis in unix

Hi, Please help on this. i want split the below file(11020111.CLT) to more files with some condition. :b: 1) %s stating of the report 2) %e ending of the report example starting of the report: %sAEGONCA| |MUMBAI | :EXPC|N|D ending of the report %eAEGONCA| |MUMBAI | :EXPC 3)so the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: krbala1985
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting a huge line of file into multiple lines with fixed number of columns

Hi, I have a huge file with a single line. But I want to break that line into lines of with each line having five columns. My file is like this: code: "hi","there","how","are","you?","It","was","great","working","with","you.","hope","to","work","you." I want it like this: code:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajsharma
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required in Splitting a xml file into multiple and appending it in another .xml file

HI All, I have to split a xml file into multiple xml files and append it in another .xml file. for example below is a sample xml and using shell script i have to split it into three xml files and append all the three xmls in a .xml file. Can some one help plz. eg: <?xml version="1.0"?>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesan kulasek
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a file based on line number

Hi I have a file with over a million lines (rows) and I want to split everything from 500,000 to a million into another file (to make the file smaller). Is there a simple command for this? Thank you Phil (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Splitting the file basis of Line Number

Can u pls advise the unix command as I have a file which contain the records in the below format 333434 435435 435443 434543 343536 Now the total line count is 89380 , now i want to create a separate I am trying to split my large big file into small bits using the line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: punpun66
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping through XML file on basis of a node

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <Document> <FIToFICstmrCdtTrf> <GrpHdr> <MsgId>10001</MsgId> <NbOfTxs>1</NbOfTxs> <IntrBkSttlmDt>2015-05-06</IntrBkSttlmDt> <SttlmInf> <SttlmMtd>CLRG</SttlmMtd> </SttlmInf> <PmtTpInf> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish2015
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting xml file into several xml files using perl

Hi Everyone, I'm new here and I was checking this old post: /shell-programming-and-scripting/180669-splitting-file-into-several-smaller-files-using-perl.html (cannot paste link because of lack of points) I need to do something like this but understand very little of perl. I also check... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcosta
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a single xml file into multiple xml files

Hi, I'm having a xml file with multiple xml header. so i want to split the file into multiple files. Sample.xml consists multiple headers so how can we split these multiple headers into multiple files in unix. eg : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <ml:individual... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narendra921631
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Split a txt file on the basis of line number

I have to split a file containing 100 lines to 5 files say from lines ,1-20 ,21-30 ,31-40 ,51-60 ,61-100 Here is i can do it for 2 file but how to handle it for more than 2 files awk 'NR < 21{ print >> "a"; next } {print >> "b" }' $input_file Please advidse. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhaydas
4 Replies
SoXI(1) 							  Sound eXchange							   SoXI(1)

NAME
SoXI - Sound eXchange Information, display sound file metadata SYNOPSIS
soxi [-V[level]] [-T] [-t|-r|-c|-s|-d|-D|-b|-B|-e|-a] infile1 ... DESCRIPTION
Displays information from the header of a given audio file or files. Supported audio file types are listed and described in soxformat(7). Note however, that soxi is intended for use only with audio files with a self-describing header. By default, as much information as is available is shown. An option may be given to select just a single piece of information (perhaps for use in a script or batch-file). OPTIONS
-V Set verbosity. See sox(1) for details. -T Used with multiple files; changes the behaviour of -s, -d and -D to display the total across all given files. Note that when used with -s with files with different sampling rates, this is of questionable value. -t Show detected file-type. -r Show sample-rate. -c Show number of channels. -s Show number of samples (0 if unavailable). -d Show duration in hours, minutes and seconds (0 if unavailable). Equivalent to number of samples divided by the sample-rate. -D Show duration in seconds (0 if unavailable). -b Show number of bits per sample. -B Show the bitrate averaged over the whole file (0 if unavailable). -e Show the name of the audio encoding. -a Show file comments (annotations) if available. BUGS
Please report any bugs found in this version of SoX to the mailing list (sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net). SEE ALSO
sox(1), soxformat(7), libsox(3) The SoX web site at http://sox.sourceforge.net LICENSE
Copyright 2008-9 by Chris Bagwell and SoX Contributors. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. AUTHORS
Chris Bagwell (cbagwell@users.sourceforge.net). Other authors and contributors are listed in the ChangeLog file that is distributed with the source code. soxi February 19, 2011 SoXI(1)