Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Convert date into days using shell script Post 302901887 by tukuyomi on Friday 16th of May 2014 08:24:23 AM
Old 05-16-2014
With GNU date, you can do something like this, in sh or bash:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# Past date in seconds since Epoch
past=$(date +%s --date "12/02/2013 11:21")

# Now in seconds since Epoch
now=$(date +%s)

# Interval in seconds -- 30 days in this case
interval=$((30*86400)) #86400 seconds per day

if [ "$((now-past))" -gt "$interval" ]; then x='more'; else x='less'; fi

printf '%s\n' "Past date is $x than 30 days"

exit 0

This User Gave Thanks to tukuyomi For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

convert date in lilian format for shell (AIX)

hello ! can so help me ? i'm writting a shell srcipt ( UNIX AIX) and I'd like to convert a date as 20041108 in lilian format. thanks so much (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chocolate
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script to convert absolute date

Hi , I have a csv file and column 1 is date in the cursed YYYY-M-D format. Is there any way to convert 1st column to an absolute date say using 1977-1-1 as day 1? Thanks a lot. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: onthetopo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

date for two days or 3 days ago

i need a script that can tell me the date 2 days ago or 3 days ago. please help (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjones
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate 30/31 days from today date script

Hi Guys, I was working some time ago n was in need to calculate date 30/31 days from today including Feb (Leap yr stuff). Today date is variable depending on day of execution of script. I tried searching but was not able to get exactly what I needed....So at that I time I implemented by my own... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolgoose85
3 Replies

5. AIX

Convert string to date in script

Hi, How can I convert a string "Jul 10 09" to date in aix? the output can be like 20090710. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gbyte
4 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Adding or subtracting days from current date in batch script

Hi, I'm writing an batch file to create report In the batch file iam passing two arguments:startdate and finishdate Ex: startdate=07-sep-2009 finishdate=07-sep-2011 I need to have script that takes command line argument as input and gives me out currentdate last year and current date... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand1773
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Get 60 days Old date from current date in KSH script

Hi i am writing a cron job. so for it i need the 60 days old date form current date in variable. Like today date is 27 jan 2011 then output value will be stote in variable in formet Nov 27. i am using EST date, and tried lot of solution and see lot of post but it did not helpful for me. so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Himanshu_soni
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substracting days from current date(K shell script)

Hi, I want to subtract 'n' days from the current timestamp in a k shell script. Is there any inbuilt function to do it or any workaround solution to get the date. And I want the output to be in YYYY:MM:DD HH:MM:SS format. Please help. Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Suryaaravindh
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to convert date into no. using date -d +%s syntax in ksh shell

hi friends, I m trying to write a script which compares to dates. for this i am converting dates into no using synatx as below v2=`date | awk '{print $2,$3,$4}'` v3=`date +%s -d "$v2"` this syntax is working in bash shell ,but fails in ksh shell. please suggest on this. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert string to date and add 20 days

Hi, I have a requirement where I am getting date in string format (20161130). I need to add 20 days(not no. 20) to the above string. The o/p should 20161220. In case of 20170228, it should show 20170320. Could you please help me with the command to achieve this. Note: I am using AIX 7.1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyaatcgi
5 Replies
TIME(2) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   TIME(2)

NAME
time - get time in seconds SYNOPSIS
#include <time.h> time_t time(time_t *t); DESCRIPTION
time() returns the time as the number of seconds since the Epoch, 1970-01-01 00:00:00 +0000 (UTC). If t is non-NULL, the return value is also stored in the memory pointed to by t. RETURN VALUE
On success, the value of time in seconds since the Epoch is returned. On error, ((time_t) -1) is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EFAULT t points outside your accessible address space. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, 4.3BSD, C89, C99, POSIX.1-2001. POSIX does not specify any error conditions. NOTES
POSIX.1 defines seconds since the Epoch as a value to be interpreted as the number of seconds between a specified time and the Epoch, according to a formula for conversion from UTC equivalent to conversion on the naive basis that leap seconds are ignored and all years divisible by 4 are leap years. This value is not the same as the actual number of seconds between the time and the Epoch, because of leap seconds and because clocks are not required to be synchronized to a standard reference. The intention is that the interpretation of sec- onds since the Epoch values be consistent; see POSIX.1 Annex B 2.2.2 for further rationale. SEE ALSO
date(1), gettimeofday(2), ctime(3), ftime(3), time(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2010-02-25 TIME(2)