Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep to remove and add specified characters Post 302901860 by Makarand Dodmis on Friday 16th of May 2014 05:03:43 AM
Old 05-16-2014
how about
Code:
awk '/-/ {print $1"-n"}' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove Characters before '~'

Hi, I am having a file which contains records as follows: DETAIL_KEY~12344|ACTIVE_PASSIVE~Y|AVG_SIZE_OF_RESPONSE~123123131 DETAIL_KEY~12344|ACTIVE_PASSIVE~Y|AVG_SIZE_OF_RESPONSE~123123131 DETAIL_KEY~12344|ACTIVE_PASSIVE~Y|AVG_SIZE_OF_RESPONSE~123123131... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amey Joshi
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove space characters

hello I have this output ifspeed 100000000 ifspeed 100000000 collisions 413 collisions 10 duplex full duplex ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

remove characters

hi i have a file with these strings: 123_abc_X1116990 how to get rid of 123_abc_ and keep only X1116990? I have columns of these: 123_abc_X1134640 123_dfg_X1100237 123_tyu_X1103112 123_tyui_X1116990 thx (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep or sed. How to remove certain characters

Here is my problem. I have a list of phone numbers that I want to use only the last 4 digits as PINs for something I am working on. I have all the numbers in a file but now I want to be removed all items EXCEPT the last 4 digits. I have seen sed commands and some grep commands but I am... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sucio
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove characters other than ISO8859-1

Hi please help in writing a script for replacing all the non-iso8859-1 characters to question marks. I need a pattern of this kind "sed s/<non-iso char range>/?/g < ipfile > opfile" Please help me in this. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rprajendran
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I remove ^M characters with VI

I have a file with all kinds of ^M at the end of each line. How the heck can these be removed? I tried a global search and replace, but it doesn't seem to work. Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: HmmBerger
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove first few characters from each line

Hi, I have a file with lines like below. I need to remove first few characters from each line until a date format is found. 05/06/12 20:47:02 GUMGUY@98.192.174.74{42B42A72AC955F5926621273E3A15059.tomcat2}TP-Processor15 LogExchUsage: ERROR: 05/06/12 20:47:02... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove unprintable characters?

Hi Gurus, when I run following command to split one line file to multiple lines, it stopped because of hitting un-printable special charactor. awk -v L="$2" '{for (i=1; i<=length($0); i+=L) print substr($0, i, L)}' "$1" > "$1"_split I use cat -A, I can see one un-printable charactor M-^T. how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ken6503
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep to remove non-ASCII characters

I have been having an encoding problem that I need to solve. I have an 4-column tab-separated file: I need to remove all of the lines that contain the string 'vis-à-vis' achiever-n vis-à-vis+ns-j+vp oppose-v 1 achiever-n vis-à-vis+ns-the+vg assess-v 1 administrator-n ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first 2 characters and last two characters of each line

here's what im trying to do. i have a file containing lines similar to this: data.txt: 1hsRmRsbHRiSFZNTTA1dlEyMWFkbU5wUW5CSlIyeDFTVU5SYjJOSFRuWmpia0ZuWXpKV2FHTnRU 1lKUnpWMldrZFZaMG95V25oYQpSelEyWTBka2QyRklhSHBrUjA1b1kwUkJkd3BOVXpWM1lVaG5k... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies
SVK::Log::Filter::Grep(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 SVK::Log::Filter::Grep(3)

SYNOPSIS
SVK::Log::Filter::Grep - search log messages for a given pattern DESCRIPTION
The Grep filter requires a single Perl pattern (regular expression) as its argument. The pattern is then applied to the svn:log property of each revision it receives. If the pattern matches, the revision is allowed to continue down the pipeline. If the pattern fails to match, the pipeline immediately skips to the next revision. The pattern is applied with the /i modifier (case insensitivity). If you want case-sensitivity or other modifications to the behavior of your pattern, you must use the "(?imsx-imsx)" extended pattern (see "perldoc perlre" for details). For example, to search for log messages that match exactly the characters "foo" you might use svk log --filter "grep (?-i)foo" However, to search for "foo" without regards for case, one might try svk log --filter "grep foo" The result of any capturing parentheses inside the pattern are not available. If demand dictates, the Grep filter could be modified to place the captured value somewhere in the stash for other filters to access. If the pattern contains a pipe character ('|'), it must be escaped by preceding it with a '' character. Otherwise, the portion of the pattern after the pipe character is interpreted as the name of a log filter. STASH
/PROPERTY MODIFICATIONS Grep leaves all properties and the stash intact. perl v5.10.0 2008-08-04 SVK::Log::Filter::Grep(3)