Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bc in shell script is creating blank files Post 302901817 by member2014 on Thursday 15th of May 2014 09:44:25 PM
Old 05-15-2014
Bc in shell script is creating blank files

Hi,

I am creating a shell script which will check the processing of the main script if the error count is more than 2% of the record count in a feed. Part of the code is below:

Code:
err_tol=`echo $feed_cnt \* 0.02 |bc`

while read line
do
   err_cnt=$(grep -i "$line" $err_log | wc -l)

if [ $err_cnt > $err_tol ]
        then
             echo "Errors exceed the tolerance level"
             exit 1
        fi
done <"$err_list"

feed_cnt - is the word count of the incoming feed
err_list - is a file with all errors that can be raised by the process

I am using bc in err_tol calculation as I need to multiply decimal numbers. This statement is creating blank files with the divided number value.

I have tried a few other methods and they seem to be creating blank files as well.
err_tol=`echo "$feed_cnt 0.02 * p" |dc`
err_tol=$(echo "scale=2; $feed_cnt * 0.02" | bc)

Can anyone help with this issue? Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 05-15-2014 at 11:03 PM.. Reason: Add CODE and ICODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Argument in shell script never blank

Hi All, I have a script which accepts a parameter which can either be blank, a specific value, or a wildcard value. But it never seems to be blank and the wildcard option seems to return the names of matching files in my directory. This happens even with the worlds simplest script that just... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cdines
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to move blank files

Anyone could give me an example of scrip to move blank files found into a dir? Thanks, Leandro Takeda (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: letakeda
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script: Remove blank lines

Hi gurus, I have this file with blank lines in it. How do i remove them in shell? I tried these commands but not working: sed '/^ *$/d' or sed '/^$/d' Anybody has a better idea pls? Also there are lines which starts with a single space, how do we remove the space in those lines?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gholdbhurg
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Blank Space is not appending in each row of CSV File - Shell Script

I am calling SQL script in my UNIX Shell script and trying to create the CSV file and my last column value of each row is 23 blank spaces. In my SQL script,the last column is like below. RPAD(' ',23,' ') -- Padding 23 blank Spaces The CSV file is generated but the sapce(23 spaces) is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: praka
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamically creating text files using shell script

Hi All, I want to create a shell script which dynamically create text files. i am using the following script $i=1 while do cat > test_$i.txt done but while running the script it was stopping(the cursor not going to next step, i have to enter ctrl+c to make it stop). it is creating only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with blank spaces in shell script

Hi, I did the following script: DIR=`pwd`;for i in `find . -name GESTION -type d`;do cd $i/..;setfacl -R -m g:directores:rwx, GESTION;echo $DIR'/'$i;cd $DIR;done This code do the following actions: 1. Starting inside a folder, it's searching for any folder called "GESTION" 2. Every time... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: argie01
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to check blank line?

Can someone help to transform the below logic into a shell script, might be easy for some of you. I have a file with below text, I need if the line has the ":" and the above to it is not a blank line should print " <text>: is incorrect format" Apple: vitamin = A... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: usyseng
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help creating a script to FTP files to a server and then delete the files that were transfered.

I am trying to FTP files to a Windows server through my Linux machine. I have setup the file transfer with no problems but am having problem deleting those files from the Linux box. My current non-working solution is below. Any ideas, anyone?? :wall: Please be gentle, I'm fairly new to this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmalfhs
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a blank string of a specified size

I want to have a string which has n blank spaces For example set N = 3 create str = " " So the length depends on the value of N. I am in tcsh. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Space and blank line from file in UNIX shell script

I have below file. I want to remove space at begining of every line and then after also remove blank line from file. I use below code for each operation. sed -e 's/^*//' < check.txt > check1.txt sed '/^\s*$/d' < check1.txt > check2.txt above code not remove all the space... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohin Jain
12 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)