Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Loosing trailing new line in Bash var assignment Post 302901768 by alister on Thursday 15th of May 2014 12:30:40 PM
Old 05-15-2014
There is none.

Perhaps if you provided us with the big picture, someone could suggest an alternative. What are you trying to accomplish?

Regards,
Alister

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim trailing spaces from each line in a file

Hello folks, Is there a simple way to trim trailing spaces from each line a file. Please let me know. Regards, Tipsy. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipsy
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove trailing spaces from a line

I want to remove the trailing spaces from any line of file. line ending does not follow any pattern. plz help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas_kesarwani
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I don't want to truncate trailing spaces and ^M at the end of line

I have a script wherein I access each line of the file using a FOR loop and then perform some operations in each line. The problem is each line that gets extracted in FOR loop truncates trailing blank spaces and control characters (^M) that is present at the end of each line. I don't wan this to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shobana_s
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

CPU assignment bash script

Hi guys, I'm basically looking for some help with a bash script I've written. It's purpose is to assign process to individual CPU cores once that process hits 15% CPU usage or more. If it drops below 15%, it's unassigned again (using taskset). My problem is that I can't think of a way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcky
2 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Bash Shell Programming assignment.

Please take a look I am stuck on step 4 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: #!/bin/bash ### ULI101 - ASSIGNMENT #2 (PART A) - DUE DATE Wed, Aug 3, 2011, before 12 midnight. ###==================================================================================== ###... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: almirzaee
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making a bash script and small C program for a homework assignment

Here's the assignment. I'll bold the parts that are rough for me. Unfortunately, that's quite a bit lol. The syntax is, of course, where my issues lie, for the most part. I don't have a lot of programming experience at all :/. I'd post what I've already done, but I'm so lost I really don't know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: twk101
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variable assignment question

Suppose I have a file named Stuff in the same directory as my script. Does the following assign the file Stuff to a variable? Var="Stuff" Why doesn't this just assign the string Stuff? Or rather how would I assign the string Stuff to a variable in this situation? Also, what exactly is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Riker1204
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Trailing Line

I have been trying to remove empty lines and lines just filled with spaces. I have used the following command which does work. sed -i "/^\s*$/d" Except it leaves one single trailing line at the very end of the file. For the life of me I cant figure out why I cant remove that last trailing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user8282892
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variable assignment failure/unary operator expected

I have a little code block (executing on AIX 7.1) that I cannot understand why the NOTFREE=0 does not appear to be assigned even though it goes through that block. This causes a unary operator issue. #!/bin/bash PLATFORM="AIX" NEEDSPC=3000 set -x if ; then lsvg | grep -v rootvg | while... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: port43
6 Replies
TRANSPOSE(9.1)															    TRANSPOSE(9.1)

NAME
rotate, transpose - re-orient an image SYNOPSIS
fb/rotate angle [ input ] fb/transpose [ -vhadrlui ] [ -ox y ] [ input ] DESCRIPTION
Rotate rotates the image in its input picture file (default standard input) clockwise by angle degrees, writing the resulting picture file on standard output. Transpose turns its input picture file on its side by reflection through its major (descending from left to right) diagonal, writing the resulting picture file on standard output. If no file name is given, the picture is read from standard input. Options yield all possible symmetries of the square grid: -d reflects the image through its descending diagonal (the default). -a reflects the image through its ascending diagonal. -v reflects the image left-to-right through its vertical center line. -h inverts the image top-to-bottom through its horizontal center line. -r rotates the image to the right (clockwise) 90 degrees. -l rotates the image to the left (counterclockwise) 90 degrees. -u rotates the image upside down (180 degrees). -i identity transformation (for completeness only.) -o x y translates by (x,y). Without -o, the input and output files have the same upper-left corner. Transpose is particularly useful to convince programs that work on the rows of a picture file to operate on columns. For example fb/transpose big | fb/resample 48 | fb/transpose | fb/resample 48 >tiny makes a tiny 48x48 version of a big picture. SOURCE
/sys/src/fb/rotate.c /sys/src/fb/transpose.c SEE ALSO
picfile(9.6), resample(9.1) BUGS
Very large images may not fit in memory. The result of rotate is not anti-aliased. TRANSPOSE(9.1)