Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get variables from expression Post 302901564 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 14th of May 2014 11:02:40 AM
Old 05-14-2014
Is there a reason that you have to use expr? Can I assume that you have read the manual page for expr and digested it? It's not a nice way to users to write rules.

It seems a bit of a limitation, however you can still use the framework I suggested you can code the following in you users' personal file:-
Code:
RBATTE1> cat ~/my_variables
UsrAppNO=`expr UsrCustGBLNo \*2 + UsrCustRegNo +99`

It's messy and brackets are a problem. Notice how the multiplier * has to be coded as \*, as would the divider / needing to be \/

For numeric assignments, you might be better with bc like this:-
Code:
UsrAppNO=`echo UsrCustGBLNo \*2 + UsrCustRegNo +99 | bc`

.... but again it's not great.

If you are allowing them to do this, can you not set the rules? If the only value they really need to put in individually is the UsrCustRegNo, then just have this in the users' my_variables file:-
Code:
UsrCustNo=50

.... and then do the calculation in your main script. If it is a common calculation that several scripts use, then you could have a common bit of code called in the same way in my suggested framework from before, by just adding the file name in after where the user definitions are called.

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression + Aritmetical Expression

Is it possible to combine a regular expression with a aritmetical expression? For example, taking a 8-numbers caracter sequece and casting each output of a grep, comparing to a constant. THX! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Z0mby
2 Replies

2. Programming

error: initializer expression list treated as compound expression

I had seen this error for the first time ..... error: initializer expression list treated as compound expression please help.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunchaudhary19
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with arithmetic expression using variables

Hi, I am trying to do a percentage calculation in a Bourne shell script. The following works fine, but when I try to subsitute the values 153824 and 246000 for variables (e.g. used and limit), I get errors. calc() { awk 'BEGIN {OFMT="%f"; print '"$*"'; exit}' } calc '(153824 /... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorehil
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning expression value to tcsh variables

Hi All, I have a tcsh script as: #!/usr/bin/csh -x set packsName=$(awk -F'' '/^execute.*=true/{print $2}' ExecutePacks.config) for var in $packsName do echo "printed $var" done I want to assign the value which is returned by awk function to the variable called packsName. How do I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AB10
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Integer expression expected: with regular expression

CA_RELEASE has a value of 6. I need to check if that this is a numeric value. if not error. source $CA_VERSION_DATA if * ] then echo "CA_RELESE $CA_RELEASE is invalid" exit -1 fi + source /etc/ncgl/ca_version_data ++ CA_PRODUCT_ID=samxts ++ CA_RELEASE=6 ++ CA_WEEK_NO=7 ++... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketkee1985
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk variables in regex expression ?

Hello, Could someone explain why this one returns nothing: $ x=/jon/ $ echo jon | awk -v xa=$x '$1~xa {print}' $ while the following works fine: $ x=jon $ echo jon | awk -v xa=$x '$1==xa {print}' $ jon and the following works fine: $ echo jon | awk '$1~/jon/ {print}' $ jon ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
3 Replies

7. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Hello All, I'm trying to extract the lines between two consecutive elements of an array from a file. My array looks like: problem_arr=(PRS111 PRS213 PRS234) j=0 while } ] do k=`expr $j + 1` sed -n "/${problem_arr}/,/${problem_arr}/p" problemid.txt ---some operation goes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: InduInduIndu
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why Relational Expression is Writing to a Expression?

Hello All, Not sure why this is happening... When the following If Statement is evaluated for some reason it is creating a file in the CWD called '0'. I've seen this happen before, just not in an If Statement... CODE: if then DIR_NAME="$1" DIR_SIZE=0 STATUS="" else... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

SHELL: UNIX : Ls regular expression not working when used with variables

If i do below command in unix prompt which static values (ie 27..97), it is working fine and gives desired output >ls -d $WORKDIR/batch/somefilename_{27..97}.* 2>/dev/null somefilename_27.sometxt somefilename_28.sometxt somefilename_29.sometxt .. somefilename_97.sometxt But if i want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haiderali
2 Replies
Locale::Script(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				       Locale::Script(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $script = code2script('phnx','alpha'); $script = code2script('phnx',LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Script(3pm)