Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to find the number of occurence of particular word from a text file? Post 302901489 by sheela on Wednesday 14th of May 2014 04:42:54 AM
Old 05-14-2014
Thanks for ur adviceSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can a shell script pull the first word (or nth word) off each line of a text file?

Greetings. I am struggling with a shell script to make my life simpler, with a number of practical ways in which it could be used. I want to take a standard text file, and pull the 'n'th word from each line such as the first word from a text file. I'm struggling to see how each line can be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricky
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of occurence of perticular word from file

I want to count the number of occurence of perticular word from one text file. Please tell me "less" command is work in ksh or not. If it is not working then instead of that which command will work. :confused: (40 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
40 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

TO find the word which occurs maximum number of times

Hi Folks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My Requirement is............. i have a input file: 501,501.chan 502,502.anand 503,503.biji 504,504.raja 505,505.chan 506,506.anand 507,507.chan and my o/p should be chan->3 i.e. the word which occurs maximum number of times in a file should be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aajan
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the number of column in the text file...?

Hi, i have text file with ~ seperated columns. it is very huge size of file, in the file sompulsary supposed to has 20 columns with ~ seperated. so how can i find if the file has 20 column in the all rows...? Sample file: APA+VU~10~~~~~03~101~101~~~APA.N O 20081017 120.00... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: psiva_arul
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the number of occurence of a word in a line

suppose i have this line abs|der|gt|dftnrk|dtre i want to count the number of "|" in this line.. how can i do that. plz help:confused: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyanka3006
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find and print the last word of each line from a text file

Can any one help us in finding the the last word of each line from a text file and print it. eg: 1st --> aaa bbbb cccc dddd eeee ffff ee 2nd --> aab ered er fdf ere ww ww f the o/p should be a below. ee f (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveen_sangam
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search specific pattern in file and return number of occurence

Hi I want to search for a specific pattern in file Say ABC;HELLO_UNIX_WORLD;PQR ABC;HELLO_UNIX_WORLD_IS_NOT_ENOUGH;XYZ ABC;HELLO_UNIX_FORUM;LMN Pattern to search is : "HELLO_UNIX_*****" and not "HELLO_UNIX_***_***_" I mean after "HELLO_UNIX" there can only be one word.In this case... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the occurence of particular string in log file

I have a log file which looks like this: <845185415165:STATUS:5/0:0:0:0:0|ghy59DI5zasldf87asdfamas8df9asd903tGUVSQx4GJVSQ==> I have to extract DATE and number of times the keyword STATUS is shown on each date. Input is : <1354625655744:STATUS:5/0:0:0:0:0|ghy59DI5ztGUVSQx4GJVSQ==>... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: maddyrox
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find number of digits in a word

HI, Can you tell me how to find the number of digits in a word. $cat data.txt +123456ad 87645768 Output should be 6 8 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashwin3086
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a word and increment the number in the word & save into new files

Hi All, I am looking for a perl/awk/sed command to auto-increment the numbers line in file, P1.tcl: run_build_model sparc_ifu_dec run_drc set_faults -model path_delay -atpg_effectiveness -fault_coverage add_delay_paths P1 set_atpg -abort_limit 1000 run_atpg -ndetects 1000 I would like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jypark22
6 Replies
INSTR(3)						       MBK UTILITY FUNCTIONS							  INSTR(3)

NAME
instr - find an occurence of a string in a string, starting at a specified character. ORIGIN
This software belongs to the ALLIANCE CAD SYSTEM developed by the ASIM team at LIP6 laboratory of Universite Pierre et Marie CURIE, in Paris, France. Web : http://asim.lip6.fr/recherche/alliance/ E-mail : alliance-users@asim.lip6.fr SYNOPSYS
#include "mut.h" char *instr(s, find, from) char *s, *find, from; PARAMETERS
s Pointer to the string to be searched for the pattern find Pointer to the string to be found, the pattern from Character to be searched backwards before searching for the pattern DESCRIPTION
instr searches the first occurence of the string find in the string s, starting its search at the last occurence of the from character in the string s. If either s or find is NULL, the function returns NULL. If from is (char)0, the pattern is searched from the begining of s. This quite exotic behaviour is useful to search the occurence of a name in a string resulting from a flatten, when only a terminal object name is to be taken into account. RETURN VALUES
instr return NULL either if the pattern find is not present in the searched string s, or if one at least of these two string are NULL. If the pattern is found, a value different from NULL is returned. EXAMPLE
#include "mut.h" /* check for the pattern 'ck' anywhere in the string */ #define contains_ck(name)instr(name, "ck", ' ') /* check for the pattern 'ck' in the signal name, not instance ones */ #define isclock(ptsig) instr(getsigname(ptsig), "ck", SEPAR) SEE ALSO
mbk(1), isvdd(3), isvss(3). BUG REPORT
This tool is under development at the ASIM department of the LIP6 laboratory. We need your feedback to improve documentation and tools. ASIM
/LIP6 October 1, 1997 INSTR(3)