Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX What are the ideal ulimit settings for root user in AIX? Post 302901385 by System Admin 77 on Tuesday 13th of May 2014 03:04:04 PM
Old 05-13-2014
@ Corona688
not really.

@ibmtech
thanks for your reply. I understand that unlimited needed for fsize parameter for transferring huge files. but i have doubt regarding the other parameter values like below

Code:
time(seconds) unlimited
file(blocks) unlimited
data(kbytes) unlimited
stack(kbytes) 32768
memory(kbytes) unlimited
threads(per process) unlimited
processes(per user) unlimited

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 05-13-2014 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change root's .profile settings

As a regular (non-root) user on Unix servers I'm accustomed to changing my .profile file to set paths that I frequently use, etc. I am trying to learn unix and set up a test server running SunOS 5.8. When I login as root I don't see a .profile file that belongs to root wherein I could change the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
1 Replies

2. AIX

how to set the ulimit on AIX 5.2 version?

how to set the ulimit on AIX 5.2 version? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shilpi
3 Replies

3. AIX

cant su to user or root AIX 5.3

Hi all, I cannt use 'su' to login to root or any other users though everything seems ok. I read some articles that says if you do recursive chmod 777 on /usr it can create this problem. I did the same. can anybody tell me how to repair it. Any ideas will be appreciated. thnks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: itesh.dash
7 Replies

4. AIX

AIX 6.1 Kernal Parameters ulimit

Hello, How can I setup the ulimit for memory permanent ulimit -m unlimited ulimit -a Output from the ulimit command should be similar to the following:time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) 2097152 stack(kbytes) 32768... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
4 Replies

5. AIX

Block root user in system console - aix 5.3

How to block the root user login in system direct console. Users should login with non-root ids themselves and then use the su command to become root. Which configuration file i need to check and disable it. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmvinay
5 Replies

6. AIX

How do I killed ideal users from AIX 5.3 smit?

Hi, I'm newbee to AIX and would like to setup a process which kills 1 Hr. ideal users from smit. Please advise for making it work. :) Thanks, Sumit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit30
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo to delegate permission from non-root user to another non-root user

I've been through many threads before i decide to create a separate thread. I can't really find the solution to my (simple) problem. Here's what I'm trying to achieve: As "canar" user I want to run a command, let's say "/opt/ocaml/bin/ocaml" as "duck" user. The only to achieve this is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: canar
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

setting ulimit for a user

The root user runs the following ulimit -a | grep open and gets a result of open files (-n) 8162 A user runs the same command and gets a result of open files (-n) 2500 How can you set the ulimit of the user to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsanders
2 Replies

9. AIX

List of AIX commands that can be run by ROOT user ONLY

Hello, I am testing sudo and I want to test it. Can anyone please let me know few commands (of course other than shutdown, reboot etc. as I can't reboot the box) on AIX that can be run by ROOT only. Thanks ---------- Post updated at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:38 PM... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX change ulimit for a user

I have seen two different ways for changing the ulimit for a user in aix. Which one is better? Option 1 edit /etc/security/limits oracle: fsize = -1 data = -1 stack = -1 fsize_hard = -1 nofiles = -1 nofiles_hard = -1 Option 2 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies
ULIMIT(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 ULIMIT(3)

NAME
ulimit -- get and set process limits LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <ulimit.h> long ulimit(int cmd, ...); DESCRIPTION
The ulimit() function will get and set process limits. Currently, this is limited to the maximum file size. The cmd argument is one of the following: UL_GETFSIZE will return the maximum file size of the current process, in units of 512-byte blocks. UL_SETFSIZE will attempt to set the maximum file size of the current process and its children, using the second argument (expressed as a long). RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, ulimit() returns the value requested; otherwise, the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The ulimit() function will fail if: [EINVAL] The command specified was invalid. [EPERM] The limit specified to ulimit() would have raised the maximum limit value, and the caller is not the super-user. SEE ALSO
getrlimit(2) STANDARDS
The ulimit() function conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The ulimit() function first appeared in FreeBSD 5.0. BUGS
The ulimit() function provides limited precision for setting and retrieving process limits. If there is a need for greater precision than the type long provides, the getrlimit(2) and setrlimit(2) functions should be considered. BSD
January 4, 2003 BSD