Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting "if" Loop not working when executing script using cron Post 302901383 by sk2code on Tuesday 13th of May 2014 02:40:31 PM
Old 05-13-2014
"if" Loop not working when executing script using cron

I am facing this weird issue where the script is working fine from the command line but when I am executing it from cron though it is working fine but the "if" loop is processing else part though I know that the if part of the logic is true and ideally the loop should execute the if portion.

After executing the script though I am getting the value for the variable SZ=0 but for some reason the script is going to the else portion of the logic. This is only happening while running the script from cron.

Please help.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

for m in `cat /export/home/sk/sk.hosts.list`; do ping -a $m; done > /export/home/sk/sk.ping.host

awk '!/no/' /export/home/sk/sk.ping.host > /export/home/sk/sk.ping.alive

SZ=$(more /export/home/sk/sk.ping.alive | wc -c);

if [ $SZ == 0 ] ;

then mailx -s "All servers are getting backed up" sk@abc.com < /export/home/sk/sk.ping.alive

else

awk '{print $1}' /export/home/sk/sk.ping.alive > /export/home/sk/sk.ping.dead

mailx -s "Following servers are not getting backed up" sk@abc.com < /export/home/sk/sk.ping.dead

fi

Here is my crontab entry:

Code:
30 13 * * * /export/home/sk/bkup.chk.test.sk > /dev/null 2>&1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix "at" / "Cron" Command New Problem...Need help

Hi All, I am trying to schedule a one time job using the at command with the help of shell script for my project. The shell script should take a parameter as a command line argument from the at command itself. Is it possible to take a command line parameter for a shell script in the command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohanraj
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

when executing .sh script in telnet error "script not found"

Hi. i have written a wrapper script which inturn call the ftp child script in it. Now the problem is when i executing the same script in my script directory through putty it is getting executed successfully;where as through telnet i get an error "scripts not found" Can some one help me... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smiley
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script not working..."sort" not working properly....

Hello all, I have a file - 12.txt cat 12.txt =============================================== Number of executions = 2 Total execution time (sec.ms) = 0.009883 Number of executions = 8 Total execution time (sec.ms) = 0.001270 Number of... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahulpict
23 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the difference executing a script with . in the front versus not putting a "."

Hi All, I know this has been discussed a lot but still I need some more answers. I am running this is ksh on AIX 5.3 I believe putting a "." in front of the script will start a new shell, is that correct?? I have a script which override some PATH variables and it does not do that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script invoked using "sh" is not executing. Urgent help required

Hi , I am new to shell scripting. I am using Linux for doing scripting. Below is my script, which takes 2 parameters as input. test.sh has the below: #!/bin/bash . $HOME/.profile gpg --yes --no-use-agent -r "$(eval echo \$$2_Var)" -e $1 1st parameter is command line... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rangarb
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

expect script not running in cron "Urgent"

I wrote a script to download the files from sftp location to local. while running the script manually its working fine. when i schedule the same in cron its not working.... :wall::wall: here is the script: #!/bin/bash ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganga39
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to fix this "Input is not UTF-8" while executing ksh script?

Hi, I have an automated script which have set of sqls but when i am trying to execute the automated script by using nohup command, it is throwing an error like "Input is not UTF-8" . And when i digged in to it, i am getting some "Â" character in the shell script. How to avoid this!? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Samah
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" { send "sudo su -\r" }"

Hi All, i am trying to ssh to a remote machine and execute certain command to remote machine through script. i am able to ssh but after its getting hung at the promt and after pressing ctrl +d i am gettin the out put as expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddharth shivh
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
GIT-SH-SETUP(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-SH-SETUP(1)

NAME
git-sh-setup - Common Git shell script setup code SYNOPSIS
. "$(git --exec-path)/git-sh-setup" DESCRIPTION
This is not a command the end user would want to run. Ever. This documentation is meant for people who are studying the Porcelain-ish scripts and/or are writing new ones. The git sh-setup scriptlet is designed to be sourced (using .) by other shell scripts to set up some variables pointing at the normal Git directories and a few helper shell functions. Before sourcing it, your script should set up a few variables; USAGE (and LONG_USAGE, if any) is used to define message given by usage() shell function. SUBDIRECTORY_OK can be set if the script can run from a subdirectory of the working tree (some commands do not). The scriptlet sets GIT_DIR and GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY shell variables, but does not export them to the environment. FUNCTIONS
die exit after emitting the supplied error message to the standard error stream. usage die with the usage message. set_reflog_action set the message that will be recorded to describe the end-user action in the reflog, when the script updates a ref. git_editor runs an editor of user's choice (GIT_EDITOR, core.editor, VISUAL or EDITOR) on a given file, but error out if no editor is specified and the terminal is dumb. is_bare_repository outputs true or false to the standard output stream to indicate if the repository is a bare repository (i.e. without an associated working tree). cd_to_toplevel runs chdir to the toplevel of the working tree. require_work_tree checks if the current directory is within the working tree of the repository, and otherwise dies. require_work_tree_exists checks if the working tree associated with the repository exists, and otherwise dies. Often done before calling cd_to_toplevel, which is impossible to do if there is no working tree. require_clean_work_tree <action> [<hint>] checks that the working tree and index associated with the repository have no uncommitted changes to tracked files. Otherwise it emits an error message of the form Cannot <action>: <reason>. <hint>, and dies. Example: require_clean_work_tree rebase "Please commit or stash them." get_author_ident_from_commit outputs code for use with eval to set the GIT_AUTHOR_NAME, GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL and GIT_AUTHOR_DATE variables for a given commit. create_virtual_base modifies the first file so only lines in common with the second file remain. If there is insufficient common material, then the first file is left empty. The result is suitable as a virtual base input for a 3-way merge. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-SH-SETUP(1)