Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting To find nth position of character in string Post 302901327 by Jonty Immortal on Tuesday 13th of May 2014 10:43:27 AM
Old 05-13-2014
To find nth position of character in string

Hi guyz i want to know nth position of character in string. For ex.
var="UK,TK,HK,IND,AUS"

now if we see 1st occurance of , is at 3 position, 2nd at 6,..4th at 13 position.
1st position we can find through INDEX, but what about 2nd,3rd and 4th or may be upto nth position. ?
In oracle we had instr there we could provide the nth number occurance also. Here how we can achieve it ?

FYI i am beginner in unix and i m using KSH

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I get the nth character from a string?

How to I get the nth character from a string in shell script. For instance, I have a string London. I want to get, say the first character (L) from the string. How do I do this in unix shell? Thankx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: toughman
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find a position and print some string in the next and same position

I need a script for... how to find a position of column data and print some string in the next line and same position position should find based on *HEADER8* in text for ex: ord123 abs 123 987HEADER89 test234 ord124 abc 124 987HEADER88 test235 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveenkcl
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines with specific character at nth position in a file

I need to print lines with character S at nth position in a file...can someone pl help me with appropriate awk command for this (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manaswinig
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines with specific character at nth position in a file

I need to print lines with character S at nth position in a file...can someone pl help me with appropriate awk command for this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manaswinig
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace character in certain position in a string

Hello everyone this is my first post of many to come :) I am writing a script and in this script at one point i need to replace a character in a particular position in a string for example: in the string "mystery" i would need to replace the 3rd position to an "r" so the string becomes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snipaa
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find character position in file?

how to find character positionin file? i.e string = "123X568" i want to find the position of character "X". Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract the certain position's character in a string

Suppose there are two files: A, format is like: line1 12 line2 33 line3 6 ... B, format is like: >header taaccctaaccctaaccctaacccaaccccaccccaaccccaaccccaac ccaaccctaaccctaaccctaacccaaccctaaccctaaccctaacccaa ccctcaccctcaccctcaccctcaccctcaccctcaccctcaccctaacc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bioinflix
1 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Replace nth position character of all the lines in file

I want to replace 150th character of all the lines in a file using sed or awk... searched the forums but didn't find exact answer (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find character and Replace character for given position

Hi, i want find the character '-' in a file from position 284-298, if it occurs i need to replace it with 'O ' for the position in the file. How to do that using SED command. thanks in advance, Sara (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara183
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign a variable the nth character of a string.

I see a millioin ways to do this with echo, but what I wan to do is assign a variable the "nth" character of an incoming parameter to a ksh script. $1 will be "pia" I need to assign the first character to stmttype. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: klarue
10 Replies
XmTextFindString(library call)											    XmTextFindString(library call)

NAME
XmTextFindString -- A Text function that finds the beginning position of a text string SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/Xm.h> Boolean XmTextFindString( Widget widget, XmTextPosition start, char *string, XmTextDirection direction, XmTextPosition *position); DESCRIPTION
XmTextFindString locates the beginning position of a specified text string. This routine searches forward or backward for the first occur- rence of the string starting from the given start position. If it finds a match, the function returns the position of the first character of the string in position. If the match string begins at the current position, this routine returns the current position. widget Specifies the Text widget ID. start Specifies the character position from which the search proceeds. This is an integer number of characters from the beginning of the text buffer. The first character position is 0 (zero). string Specifies the search string. direction Indicates the search direction. It is relative to the primary direction of the text. The possible values are XmTEXT_FORWARD The search proceeds toward the end of the text buffer. XmTEXT_BACKWARD The search proceeds toward the beginning of the text buffer. position Specifies the pointer in which the first character position of the string match is returned. This is an integer number of charac- ters from the beginning of the buffer. The first character position is 0 (zero). If the function returns False, this value is undefined. For a complete definition of Text and its associated resources, see XmText(3). RETURN
Returns True if a string match is found; otherwise, returns False. RELATED
XmText(3) and XmTextFindStringWcs(3). XmTextFindString(library call)