Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Bash Script for Dice Game; Issue with if...else loop to verify user guess is within range Post 302901239 by Franklin52 on Tuesday 13th of May 2014 03:31:22 AM
Old 05-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenRose
Good Morning Franklin52,

Thank you for the reply and solution. Omitting the && within the loop in question and adding the logical operator || instead, did the trick. Can't believe that the solution was so simple. Being new to bash scripting, I thought for sure that the loop structure was incorrect.

Again, Thank You.

Lauren
You're welcome.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script w/ IP Range

Is there a basic IP range script or a site that has basic script written? I am making a script that is looking for a device on my network threw HTTP://. I and using a for loop with wget to download the page and using grep to search the code for the serial number. My range is 172.16.x.x/16 I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: captaindoogles
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script verify user input is not empty and is equal to a value

I need to create a script that has a user enter a value. I want to verify that the value is either 1,2, or 3. If it is not then I want them to try entering it again. I am using a while loop to force them to retry. I am able to test the input against 1,2, and 3, but when I test agains an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spartiati
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script for "simple" racing game.

Hello All, I was wondering if it would be possible to create a "racing" game in script. The game play would be as follows. Script will read the following input: Start |b| | | | | |r| | | | | First player (b) will roll a die to see how many spaces to move. This is will continue until the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to test IP range on server

Hello, We have to configure servers with a range of IPs which is in itself a subject for another script assistance request -but- we have run into quite a few IP ranges with routing problems lately. I've been trying to figure out the best way to test a range of IPs, I mean, manually it's not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boxgoboom
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Verify file was sftp'd via bash script

Hello Experts, I have a script that that transfers a file (via sftp) and it works fine but we ran into a snag where the target server asked for the ssh key and the script didn't know what to do. I want to add some logic to this script that at least sends an email that it didn't complete as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tiberius777
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script range calculations

Hi, I have data in the following form: AB001 10 AB002 9 AB003 9 etc AB200 5 What I need to do is sum up the second value according to groups of the first, i.e. AB001 to AB030 the total being X, AB031 to AB050 the total being Y etc (there are 5 AB ranges of different sizes). I'm sure... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrissycc
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Give user 5 chances to guess my favorite color

I wrote a script to give a user 5 guesses on what is my favorite color but I it doesn't work. I've only been scripting for a couple weeks and need some help it seems simple but how do I give the user 5 guesses? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: noob
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Question: HowTo Exit Script with User Input While Process is Running Mid-Loop?

Hi, I have written a script that allows me to repetitively play a music file $N times, which is specified through user input. However, if I want to exit the script before it has finished looping $N times, if I use CTRL+c, I have to CTRL+c however many times are left in order to complete the loop.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hilltop_yodeler
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - printing range of lines from text file

I'm working on a new exercise that calls for a script that will take in two arguments on the command line (representing the range of line numbers) and will subsequently print those lines from a a specified file. Command line would look like this: ./lines_script.bash 5 15 <file.txt. The script would... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksmarine1980
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Proper distribution of cards in terminal based crazy8's game in bash script

When I run the following script at the bottom it say cards remaining=44...It should be=35. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong. I've spent hours trying to get this to work and I can't go any further until this part works. thank you in advance Cogiz #!/bin/bash # Date="November, 2016" #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cogiz
2 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::ProhibitReadlineInForUser(Contributed Perl DocPerl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::ProhibitReadlineInForLoop(3pm)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::ProhibitReadlineInForLoop - Write "while( $line = <> ){...}" instead of "for(<>){...}". AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Using the readline operator in a "for" or "foreach" loop is very slow. The iteration list of the loop creates a list context, which causes the readline operator to read the entire input stream before iteration even starts. Instead, just use a "while" loop, which only reads one line at a time. for my $line ( <$file_handle> ){ do_something($line) } #not ok while ( my $line = <$file_handle> ){ do_something($line) } #ok CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. AUTHOR
Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer <jeff@imaginative-software.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Imaginative Software Systems. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-07 Perl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::ProhibitReadlineInForLoop(3pm)