Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File overwriting
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File overwriting Post 302901160 by Corona688 on Monday 12th of May 2014 11:26:32 AM
Old 05-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyak
Is there a linux command to findout all modified timestamps of a file.
"all" means "one", since there's only one. See stat.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does "gzip" have a no prompt option on it for overwriting if file exists?

So I dont enounter things like: gzip: /sometimename.gz already exists; do you wish to overwrite (y or n)? Want to add it into a script and if there is a file aready there to just overwrite it, otherwise the script will hang unless there is manual intervention. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

successive file renaming & overwriting

Hi all, In our webserver customer wants to see the latest 10 files arrived. So the names are hardcoded in webpage like : filename_01.txt filename_02.txt .... .... filename_10.txt where the filename_01.txt is the latest one (typically the output of ls -1t) in the /../webpage directory.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabyasm
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Overwriting File

How to overwrite every time a particular portion of a file? ---------- Post updated at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:07 PM ---------- I have a file whose contents are something like: Output of "apachectl fullstatus" command: ---------------------------------------------... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

4. Programming

Copying and overwriting a file using file descriptor

Hi , i have two basic requirement on linux platform . I am using C language to do this . 1) copying one file to another (assuming i know their file descriptors) 2) Overwriting a file using it file descriptor . Please guide. regards Aki (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meet123321
2 Replies

5. Linux

Is it possible to revert a file after overwriting it ?

Long story short, there was some sort of corruption with my ide and the script I was working on has been over written with nothing (the file is blank now). The IDE doesn't store a back up from what I know (I'm using notepadd++ in wine lol I know I know I'm addictted to the nppftp sidebar and geany... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noPermissions
1 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

overwriting on a file

I have loads of files in different directories which I do miner changed on them and till now I have to create totally new directories for them, specially as I deal with a whole directory at once :wall::wall::wall::wall: it creates such as mess really e.g. FILES="F1/*" for X in $FILES do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Overwriting file with sftp

I have a script, which runs through cronjob every night 9 PM. It is supposed to do following tasks -- 1- Connect to ftp.testsite.com via user redtest 2- Fetch file red_bill.txt to my local server, where my script is residing. 3- Rename red_bill.txt to red_bill.V01.txt everyday on sftp server.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed is not overwriting a file

hi i have a file as in follwoing: cat apple.txt Apple is a fruit But this fruit is costly Now I used the sed command and i see output as in following # sed 's/fruit/healthy &/' fruit.txt Apple is a healthy fruit But this healthy fruit is costly # sed works fine here. But... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Avoid overwriting backup file when multiple entries need to replace in one file input from another

Hello, I have been working on script in which search and replace the multiple pattern. 1. update_params.sh read the multiple pattern from input file ParamMapping.txt(old_entry|New_entry) and passing this values one by one to change_text.sh 2. change_text.sh read... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
0 Replies

10. UNIX and Linux Applications

Logrotate with catalina.out "daily compressed file is overwriting the logs"

Hi Everyone, We are trying to do a logrotate for "catalina.out" daily, So have used the "copytruncate" option in the logrotate configuration but ended up seeing there was a 0kb file touched with "catalina.out" and the other file with the current date(compressed) file created and seems the log is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thiyagoo
2 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change your login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [-s shell] [-l] [-u] [-v] [username] DESCRIPTION
chsh is used to change your login shell. If a shell is not given on the command line, chsh prompts for one. chsh is used to change local entries only. Use ypchsh, lchsh or any other implementation for non-local entries. OPTIONS
-s, --shell shell Specify your login shell. -l, --list-shells Print the list of shells listed in /etc/shells and exit. -u, --help Print a usage message and exit. -v, --version Print version information and exit. VALID SHELLS
chsh will accept the full pathname of any executable file on the system. However, it will issue a warning if the shell is not listed in the /etc/shells file. On the other hand, it can also be configured such that it will only accept shells listed in this file, unless you are root. EXIT STATUS
Returns 0 if operation was successful, 1 if operation failed or command syntax was not valid. SEE ALSO
login(1), passwd(5), shells(5) AUTHOR
Salvatore Valente <svalente@mit.edu> AVAILABILITY
The chsh command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux July 2009 CHSH(1)