Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Infrastructure Monitoring Monitoring file systems backup Post 302901023 by frhling on Saturday 10th of May 2014 04:34:12 PM
Old 05-10-2014
Monitoring file systems backup

Hello,
I have some questions.
There are some File systems which are located on a SAN. There are two scenarios:
1) Some file systems are permanently mounted on certain servers
2) Others are part of a high availability cluster

In case of a cluster the needed file systems for a certain application are all visible to all cluster nodes (cluster servers) at the same time. A certain node is assigned to primarily run a certain service. Therefore it mounts the file system and provides the service as a new, virtual IP. The trick is now, that the virtual IP and virtual name can also be brought up by another cluster node in case the first one fails. This by itself is not a problem but it has turned out that this provides a problem for the backup because the backup is naturally file system oriented. From a user (or calling services) perspective the user only talks to the virtual IP and name, which never changes. He has no idea that this IP is in reality running on a physical cluster node with its own IP and name and on top of that the cluster nodes can even change.

by the default log file, I just get the machine names, mount points, full backup and incremental backups.

Now the question is how to be sure if file systems are correctly backed up?

I can think of some aproached:
1- check the list of file system and check the list of backed up files and compare to see if those FS are in back up. we pay attention to timestamp
2- the same as above but this time comparing also the size
3- check if machines in general are backed up
4- MD5 checksum

can someone give me any other idea and in general some suggestion?

Thanks

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Backup Linux file systems

Hi, I need to backup files on our Solaris machines onto a windows machine. I have Samba installed. Is it possible to backup these files on Solaris/Linux machines onto a Windows machine. Thanks Aravind (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aravind_mg
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup Software for UNIX systems

Hi, which software is recommended for backup of UNIX systems ( e.g. SUN, Solaris ). Backup software and database e.g. Oracle. One possibility is Networker, but license is expensive and also service contract. Best regards Dieter (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rhacodactylus
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Monitoring Unix systems

I am looking for a commercial tool that will give me -UNIX Monitoring performance solution+ reports on CCV format. (as perfmon on windows machines). The tool must have following counters per PROCESS: Page Faults/sec Virtual Bytes % Processor Time Handles count Threads count... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: gen4ik
19 Replies

4. AIX

How to exclude directory from (File Systems) backup?

Hello AIX experts, I have a file system called /bossapp Its size = 77.5 GB I want to take a File Systems backup for this one using smitty, it is very easy, but the problem is I want to exclude one directory called (ORIGIN). How? The steps are very easy to take a File Systems backup,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohannad
2 Replies
fstab(5)							File Formats Manual							  fstab(5)

Name
       fstab - file containing static information about known file systems

Description
       The  file  contains  descriptive information about the known file systems.  By convention, is created and maintained as a read-only file by
       the system administrator.  Each file system is described by its own line within The order of these lines and the file systems  they  repre-
       sent is important because and sequentially process in the performance of their tasks.

The format of each file system description in is as follows:
       spec:file:type:freq:passno:name:options
       The meanings of these fields are:

spec	 The block special file name of the device on which the file system is located.  It can also be a network name for such as or

file	 The pathname of the directory on which the file system is mounted.

type	 How the file system is mounted.  The ways in which a file system can be mounted are:
		 rw - mount the file system read-write
		 ro - mount the file system read only
		 rq - mount the file system read-write with quotas
		 sw - make the special file part of the swap space
		 xx - ignore the entry

freq	 The frequency (in days) with which the command dumps the rw, ro, and rq file systems.

passno	 The order in which the command checks the rw, ro, and rq file systems at reboot time.

name	 The  name  of	the file system type.  File systems can have the following types: ufs -- ULTRIX file system and nfs -- SUN Network
		 file system.

options	 The options field.  This field contains an arbitrary string meaningful only when mounting file systems with  the  specified  file
		 system type name, such as NFS.  The specific options are described in the reference pages.

Special	actions  occur for file systems of type sw and rq at system boot time.	File systems of type sw are made part of the swap space by
       the command and disk quotas are automatically processed by the command and then enabled by the command for rq file systems.

Examples
       Here is a sample file:
       /dev/ra0a:/:rw:1:1:ufs::
       /dev/ra1g:/usr:rw:1:2:ufs::
       /@bigvax:/bigvax:rw:0:0:nfs::
       /usr/uws2.0@bigvax:/usr/uws2.0:rw:0:0:nfs:soft,bg,nosuid:
       /usr/dec@bigvax:/usr/dec:rw:0:0:nfs:bg,soft,nosuid:
       /usr/pro/xyz@vax:/usr/pro/xyz:rw:0:0:nfs:bg,soft,intr,nosuid:
       The last three entries in the sample shown use NFS options as described in the reference page.

Restrictions
       The passno field of the root file system should be specified as 1.  Other file systems should have larger values.  File systems on the same
       device  should  have  distinct  passno  fields.	File systems on different devices may have the identical passno fields to allow them to be
       simultaneously checked.

All field delimiters (:) must exist within each file system description; only the options field may not	be  present.   However,  only  the
       fields spec and type are meaningful to sw file systems and only the type field is meaningful to xx file systems.

The file system description within should be parsed only through use of the routines.

Files
       File system information file

See Also
       getfsent(3x), dump(8), fsck(8), mount(8), mount(8nfs), mount(8ufs) quotacheck(8), quotaon(8), swapon(8)

fstab(5)