Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers String extraction from log file Post 302900738 by alister on Thursday 8th of May 2014 12:15:10 PM
Old 05-08-2014
Another, slightly simpler, sed alternative:
Code:
sed 's/.*(//; s/).*//' file

This User Gave Thanks to alister For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

String extraction from user input - sh

Hi, I have a shell script to build components of a product. The follow snippet will explain what I am doing. # !/bin/sh for choice in "$@" ; do case $choice in "o") echo "Calling $choice" ; o ;; "i") echo... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extraction of string from Stringlist using delimiter

Hi Experts, I need to extract some set of strings one be one using delimiter. Example: shellscript.sh|unix.sh|script_file.sh i need to extract this shellscript.sh,unix.sh,script_file.sh separately. I tried but couldn't get. Please help me.. Thanks & Regards :), Kanda (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spkandy
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

nasty string extraction problem

Hello, if I have a file containing a chunk of HTML and I want to extract always the string beginning http://www.xxx.com/v/ that ends just before "> (i.e. and including the bit BqqtJpfZElQ&hl will change randomly) Any ideas??? # cat randomfeature.html <object width="160"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevinyeandel1
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extraction of the output from a string.

Hi Everyone, I stored the result of a certain awk script in the variable arr.The result is /inets /banking /tools. arr= /inets /banking /tools These are 3 direcctories. I should be able to move in to these directories using "cd" command.Can you tell me how to extract... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saicharantej
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String extraction from a text file

The following script code works great for extracting 'postmaster' from a line of text stored in a variable named string: string="PenaltyError:=554 5.7.1 Error, send your mail to postmaster@LOCALDOMAIN" stuff=$( echo $string | cut -d@ -f1 | awk '{ print $NF }' ) echo $stuff However, I need to be... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleanden
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in string extraction using regular expressions

Hi, I am a new bee to this forum. I am trying to extract the text after a matching pattern from a url using regular expression. Ex: http://locatlhost:2020/proxy/checkthisout I want to extract the string after proxy/. I am not familiar with reg ex. Can someone please help? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akatraga
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Extraction in Perl

I have a string stored in a variable. For instance, $str = " Opcode called is : CM_OP_xxx " where xxx changes dynamically and can be either LOGIN or SEARCH..... depends on runtime. For example : $str = " Opcode called is : CM_OP_SEARCH " $str = " Opcode called is : CM_OP_LOGIN " I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkca
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sub-string extraction on arrays

Hi, I'm trying to extract the middle of an array that is of variable length but always has a first and last common element, The following works OK... #!/bin/bash ARRAY='switch' ARRAY='option1' ARRAY='option2' ARRAY='option3' ARRAY='value' SWITCH=${ARRAY:0:1} VALUE=${ARRAY:(-1)}... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ASGR
1 Replies

9. Solaris

string extraction won't work. Why?

#!/usr/bin/ksh set -x testfile=my.test.file.flag echo ${testfile: (-4)} #/home/maldohe/scripts/spawn1& sleep 3 echo myspawn is now ending exit Background: I am trying to extract the word flag from anf given file name. This is a demo script that I am working on to fix a production issue.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Extraction

I am trying to extract a time from the below string in perl but not able to get the time properly I just want to extract the time from the above line I am using the below syntax x=~ /(.*) (\d+)\:(\d+)\:(\d+),(.*)\.com/ $time = $2 . ':' . $3 . ':' . $4; print $time Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karan8810
1 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)