Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getopts - space in argument (OPTARG) Post 302900544 by mph on Wednesday 7th of May 2014 11:49:59 AM
Old 05-07-2014
Here's a script I wrote a long time ago as I was having the same issues.
I'll modify it as necessary when I have getopts problems.
Code:
aflag=
bflag=
while getopts :ab:t: opt
do
  case $opt in
    a) aflag=1;;
    b) bflag=1
       bval="$OPTARG";;
    t) tflag=1
       tval="$OPTARG";;
    ?) printf "Usage: %s: [-a] [-b value] args\n" $0
       exit 2;;
  esac
done
if [ ! -z "$aflag" ]; then
  printf "Option -a specified\n"
fi
if [ ! -z "$bflag" ]; then
  printf 'Option -b "%s" specified\n' "$bval"
fi
if [ ! -z "$tflag" ]; then
  printf 'Option -t "%s" specified\n' "$tval"
fi
shift $(($OPTIND - 1))
printf "Remaining arguments are: %s\n" "$*"

Here's the output.
Code:
>getopts.sh -b "this is my opt" -t hello\ all
Option -b "this is my opt" specified
Option -t "hello all" specified
Remaining arguments are:

HTH

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing single space in argument

I want to write a script which will check the arguments and if there is a single space(if 2 more more space in a row , then do not touch), replace it with _ and then gather the argument so, program will be ran ./programname hi hello hi usa now hello hello so, inside of program,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

option followed by : taking next option if argument missing with getopts

Hi all, I am parsing command line options using getopts. The problem is that mandatory argument options following ":" is taking next option as argument if it is not followed by any argument. Below is the script: while getopts :hd:t:s:l:p:f: opt do case "$opt" in -h|-\?)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurukottur
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts and a list argument

Hi, I'm using bash and ksh93 compatible derivatives. In a recent getopts experience, I found myself spending far too much time on this little problem. I hope someone can help... So here's the deal. I want to build have a command line interface that accepts either zero, one, or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: duderonomy
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts ... only allow a single instance of an argument?

Hi there, if i have a simple getopts like below ...how can i make it so that if somebody enters more than one -g argument for example, it will error with a " you cannot enter more than one -g" or something like that.? I want to only allow one instance of a -g or a -h etc .. while getopts... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts : two values to a single argument ?

Hi Gurus I am trying to figure out (with not much success) how to pass two values to a single getopts argument ... for example ./script -a Tuesday sausagesThe $OPTARG variable seems to only get populated with the first argument. What im looking to do is to process the first argument (i.e.make... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

OPTARG is not taking SPACE

Hi I have below code in one of my shell script: if ; then fail $USAGE; fi while getopts hz:r:t:dz: o do case "$o" in h) echo $USAGE ; exit 0;; r) export REQ_ID="$OPTARG";; t) TIMESPAN="$OPTARG";; d) detail="true";; ) ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohsin.quazi
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] getopts, OPTARG is passed but empty

EDIT: -- SOLVED -- Heyas, Getting used to optargs, but by far not understanding it. So i have that script that shall be 'changeable', trying to use the passed arguments to modify the script visuals. Passing: browser -t test -d sect $HOME Where -t should change the title, and -d... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xargs error: insufficient space for argument

I'm trying to crudely hack my way through some data processing. I have file.txt with around 17,000 lines like this: ACYPI002690-PA.aa.afa.afa.trim_phyml_tree_fullnames_fullhomolog.txt 3 72 71 ACYPI002690-PA.aa.afa.afa.trim_phyml_tree_fullnames_fullhomolog.txt 97 111 71... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - default value for getopts option's argument

Hello everyone, I need help in understanding the default value for getopts option's argument in ksh. I've written a short test script: #!/bin/ksh usage(){ printf "Usage: -v and -m are mandatory\n\n" } while getopts ":v#m:" opt; do case $opt in v) version="$OPTARG";; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: da1
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Question about getopts optional argument [args...]

There are many places where I can see the syntax description for optargs, which, usually boils down to this: getopts OPTSTRING VARNAME where: OPTSTRING tells getopts which options to expect and where to expect arguments VARNAME tells getopts which shell-variable to use for option reporting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharkura
2 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)