Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed , awk script for printing matched line before regular expression Post 302900503 by kshitij on Wednesday 7th of May 2014 06:45:58 AM
Old 05-07-2014
Blade sed , awk script for printing matched line before regular expression

hi All ,

I am having a large file with lots of modules as shown below
###############################################

Code:
 module KKK 
kksd 
kskks  
jsn;lsm
jsnlsn;
Ring 
jjsjsj
kskmsm
jjs
endmodule

module llll 
1kksd11 
k232skks  
j33sn;l55sm
js333nl33sn;
Ring 
jj33sj4sj
k33sk33msm
j33js
endmodule

################################################

I need to match Ring regular expression and script should print corresponding module related to that "Ring" expression ...Ring lies in different modules ...

Output file

Code:
Ring :  module kkkk 
Ring : module lll

#################################

I am using this one liner
Code:
awk '/Ring/ {print  x} {x=$0}' file

but it is priting one line above the Ring expression ...
I need to find out the corresponding module of the Ring where it lies and create a output file

Please help me out

Last edited by Don Cragun; 05-07-2014 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: Add CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to move a line after the matched pattern line

I have the following text format in a file which lists the question first and then 5 choices after that the explanantion and finally the answer. 1.The amount of time it takes for most of a worker’s occupational knowledge and skills to become obsolete has been declining because of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanchil_guy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed not printing lines before a regular expression.

Hey, I found a way to print the lines which is just before a regular expression, not including the expression. sed -n '/regexp/{n;p;}' myfile Now I'm looking for a way to print all lines, exept the regular expression and also the line before the same regular expression. Use code tags. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Livio
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK script issue for the part regular expression

Hi I am having a file as shown below FILE 1 TXDD00, TXDD01, TXDD02, TXDD03, TXDD04, TXDD05, TXDD06, TXDD07, TXDD08, TXDD09, TXDD10, TXDD11, TXDD12, TXDD13, TXDD14, TXDD15, TXDD16, TXDD17, TXDD18, TXDD19, TXDDCLK, TXDJTAGAMPL0, TXDJTAGAMPL1,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaita
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Script Issue insert newline for a regular expression match

Hi , I am having an issue with the Awk script to insert newline for a regular expression match Having a file like this FILE1 #################### RXOER , RXERA , RXERC , RXERD .RXEA(RXBSN), RXERD , REXCD input RXEGT buffer RXETRY ####################### Want to match the RXE... (38 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaita
38 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

matched characters - regular expression

Hi, I read the book of <<unix shell programming>>. The regular expression ^\(.\)\1 matches the first character on the line and stores it in register 1. Then the expression matches whatever is stored in the register 1, as specified by the \1. The net effect of this regular expression is to match... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jianma
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I get the matched text when using regular expression.

Hello: (exp) : match "exp",the matched text is stored in auto named arrays. How can I get the matched text ? What is the name of the auto named arrays on linux shell ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
4 Replies

7. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Hello All, I'm trying to extract the lines between two consecutive elements of an array from a file. My array looks like: problem_arr=(PRS111 PRS213 PRS234) j=0 while } ] do k=`expr $j + 1` sed -n "/${problem_arr}/,/${problem_arr}/p" problemid.txt ---some operation goes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: InduInduIndu
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Add a line after last matched expression

I thought this would be easy to Google, but I am having trouble getting a clean result that I can understand. I simply want to insert the the line: My Network 192.168.1.1 After the last line that begins with ACL localnet (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
15 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk script (syntax error in regular expression)

I've found this script which seems very promising to solve my issue: To search and replace many different database passwords in many different (.php, .pl, .cgi, etc.) files across my filesystem. The passwords may or may not be contained within quotes, single quotes, etc. #!/bin/bash... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
4 Replies
SCITOOLS(1)						      General Commands Manual						       SCITOOLS(1)

NAME
scitools - run a SciTools command SYNOPSIS
scitools command [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
The scitools script takes a command and runs a corresponding utility. The available commands are listed below. file2interactive Utility for taking a set of Python statements in a file and creating the corresponding interactive Python shell session. floatdiff Script for examining differences in regression tests involving floating-point numbers. Used in [1]. regression Simple front-end script to SciTools' Regression module. Used in [1]. ps2mpeg Utility for turning a set of PostScript files into an MPEG movie, using mpeg_encode or ppmtompeg. profiler Script for simplifying the execution of Python's profiling tools. Used in [1]. rename Script for renaming a set of files by substituting one string or regular expression with another. subst Script for subsituting a phrase by another in a set of files. Accepts regular expressions. Treated in [1]. replace Script for subsituting a phrase by another in a set of files. Does not use regular expressions, just plain text (well suited for substituting text with much use of backslashes, curly braces, and other special characters in regular expressions (e.g., LaTeX text). movie Script for creating a movie file from a sequence of image files (frames). By default an HTML file for displaying the image (PNG) files are made. pyreport Processes a Python script and pretty prints the results using LateX. If the script uses show() commands (from scitools.easyviz) they are caught by pyreport and the resulting graphs are inserted in the output pdf. Comments lines starting with "#!" are interpreted as rst lines and pretty printed accordingly in the pdf. [1] H. P. Langtangen: Python Scripting for Computational Science. Third edition, second printing. Springer, 2009. OPTIONS
-h, --help Show usage for all commands and exit. BUGS
Send comments, questions, bug reports etc. to scitools@googlegroups.com. LICENSE
SciTools is licensed under the new BSD license. AUTHOR
SciTools is written by Hans Petter Langtangen <hpl@simula.no>, Johannes Ring <johannr@simula.no>, Ilmar Wilbers <ilmarw@simula.no>, and Rolv E. Bredesen <rolv@simula.no>. This manual page is written by Johannes Ring <johannr@simula.no>. SCITOOLS(1)