Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Ls command shows : NOT A DIRECTORY Post 302900305 by JYOTIHA on Tuesday 6th of May 2014 07:13:59 AM
Old 05-06-2014
Tools Ls command shows : NOT A DIRECTORY

I am working on ksh shell.
In some folders if i write
Code:
ls *MYFILE* > NEWFILE

then it shows error on few files as
Code:
<filename>/:NOT A DIRECTORY

i have around 9 thousand files in this folder and out of them around 61 are showing error.

However, when i created softlink of that directory and did same there everything went fine...

Whats the problem in executing this command in the original directory???

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags next time for your code and data. Thanks

Last edited by vbe; 05-06-2014 at 08:19 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

who -9 command shows logged out users

List using 'who -u' command shows logged out user name along with active users. 'kill -9' command fails to kill the user as there no prcess is running. Any solution regarding this problem. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: utpol_68
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mt command shows /dev/tape: inappropriate ioctl for device

Hello guys, on my Red Hat machine the /bin/mt status command gives the output dev/tape: inappropriate ioctl for device. This messages comes up after the Server has been rebooted. Anybody an idea? Thx masterofdesaster (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: masterofdesaste
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

'sed' command shows extra line

Here is an interesting problem that I am seeing when using 'sed'. The goal is to print out the names of the Oracle SID's on a system and here is the command I am using: ps -ef|grep ora|grep pmon|awk '{print $NF}'|sed 's/ora_pmon_//' The output of the command after the awk is this: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soleil4716
3 Replies

4. AIX

Command that shows mem slots

A while back I had a command that shows the memory slots (and info on the modules inserter) in an IBM AIX machine. I cannot remember it at this time, can someone help me out with this command please? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP that works correctly in command prompt and shows issue in UNIX server

Hi All, FTP ports opens with the given user name and password and allows to download file through COMMAND PROMPT. Code as below: H:\>ftp ftpxxxxx Connected to entvc2ft07-pub.xxxxx.com. 220 Microsoft FTP Service User (entvc2ft07-pub.xxxxx.com:(none)): userxxxxx 331 User name okay, need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijayalakshmi.r
1 Replies

6. Solaris

svcs command shows the state as disabled

Hi I need to export a directory named /sybase from my solaris machine via NFS. The svcs command shows the state as disabled. Please let me know how to export the directory. Once the directory is exported from the solaris machine it has to be mounted locally in an aix machine. Can some one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a log file that simply shows the name of a file and what directory it was moved to.

Newbie...Thank you for your help. I am creating my first script that simply generates subdirectories to organize video, music, and text files within those subdirectories from my current working directory. PROBLEM: I am trying to write a log file that contains, for each file, the original file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: BartleDoo
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

after sed command file shows '????' question marks

Hi All, I am trying to replace a string in a oracle LDT file file extension .ldt. I am using the following command: sed "s/Test Number Viewer/Test Number 1/g" TEST_LIEN_FORM.ldt > TEST_LIEN_FORM.ldt.tmp mv TEST_LIEN_FORM.ldt.tmp TEST_LIEN_FORM.ldt But after the command, the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: veena484
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 9 Zone : Date command in crontab shows delayed(One Hour) output

SOLARIS 9 Zone : date command in crontab shows delayed(One Hour) output Hi folks, the date command shows the correct date and time, How ever, if the date command executed through crontab in any form of scrip the output shows as one hour delayed, similar to date -u.. Can some one help in... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: judi
12 Replies

10. Solaris

Df -k command shows duplicate information in Solaris machine, How to get the exact disk space

While getting the total disk space in solaris machine using df -k command, i am getting the same disk info for every user available in that system. Is there any way to remove it. Filesystem 1024-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on rpool/ROOT/solaris 573898752... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasankn
3 Replies
refile(1)						      General Commands Manual							 refile(1)

NAME
refile - file message in other folders (only available within the message handling system, mh) SYNOPSIS
refile [msgs] [+folder] [options] OPTIONS
Refiles the draft message, or the current message in your +drafts folder, if you have one set up. You cannot give a msgs argument when you use this option. Moves a file into a folder. This option takes a file from its directory and places it in the named folder, as the next message in the folder. The file must be formatted as a legal mail message. This means that the message must have the minimum header fields separated from the body of the message by a blank line or a line of dashes. Prints a list of the valid options to this command. Keeps a copy of the message in the source folder. Normally, refile removes the messages from the original folder when it refiles them. The -link option keeps a copy in the original folder, as well as filing a copy in the new folder. Preserves the number of a message in the new folder. Normally, when a message is refiled in to another folder, it is set to the next available number in that folder. The -preserve option keeps the number of the message the same in the new folder as it had been in the old. You cannot have two messages with the same number in one folder, so you should use this option with care. Specifies the source folder to take messages from. Normally, messages are refiled from the current folder into another folder. However, you can take mes- sages from a different folder by using the -src +folder option to specify the alternative source folder. DESCRIPTION
Use the refile command to move the specified message from the current folder to another folder. You can refile messages in more than one folder by giving multiple folder names as arguments. If you do not specify a message, the current message is refiled. You can refile a message other than the current message by giving its num- ber as a msgs argument. You can also refile more than one message at a time by specifying more than one message number, or a range of mes- sage numbers, or a message sequence. See mark(1) for more information on sequences. The current folder remains the same unless the -src option is specified; in that case, the source folder becomes current. Normally, the last message specified becomes the current message. However, if the -link option is used, the current message is not changed. If the Previous-Sequence: entry is set in the file, in addition to defining the named sequences from the source folder, refile will also define those sequences for the destination folders. See mh_profile(4) for information concerning the previous sequence. PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine your Mail directory Folder-Protect: To set protections when creating a new folder rmmproc: Program to delete the message EXAMPLES
The following example refiles messages 3 and 5 in the folder +records: % refile 3 5 +records The next example files the current message into two folders: % refile +jones +map The next example takes message 13 in the current folder and refiles it in the +test folder. The mes- sage remains in the current folder as well as appearing in the +test folder. % refile -link 13 +test The next example takes a message from the folder +test when it is not the current folder, and places it in the folder +outbox: % refile 3 -src +test +outbox FILES
The user profile. SEE ALSO
folder(1), mark(1), mh_profile(4) refile(1)