Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Xrandr on startup - Fedora 19, VMWare Fusion Post 302900125 by bakunin on Sunday 4th of May 2014 09:25:42 PM
Old 05-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykayen
I've tried placing the following script in /etc/init.d/ :

Code:
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/xrandr --output Virtual1 --mode 1680x1050 --rate 60

but this doesn't do anything. The file is named "screenres" and has permissions "-rwxr-xr-x".
The problem is: nobody tells anybody to run that script at startup. I suggest you read the manpages of regarding "runlevels" and "init" to get a better understanding about how the startup process of a *ix-system works (notice that there are 2 fundamental layouts, "SysV" and "BSD").

To solve your problem: put (a link to) the script into "/etc/rcN.d", and name it Snn where "nn" is a two-digit number and "N" is the number of the runlevel whichs start you want to trigger the script. Or you can write a configuration file for init and place it in "/etc/init.d". Read the man page for init(5) to find out which format this has to be.

With Fedora/CentOS/RedHat you can also use the "chkconfig" utility to automatically place start/stop-scripts for arbitrary services into the various rc-directories. In this case you would have to change your script to accept "start", "stop" and "status" as parameters and create a pseudo-service from it.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Last edited by bakunin; 05-04-2014 at 10:32 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fusion de 2 fichiers

Bonjour, je souhaiterais un script bash fusionnant 2 fichiers tout en virant les doublons. Exemple : fic1 : toto titi fic2 : toto tata Résultat souhaité, fic 3 : toto titi tata Merci. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Celmar
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

fedora grub help, moving to tri boot (XP, ubuntu, fedora soemething)

I will shortly be adding a fedora flavor to my devel box. I currently have XP (installed first on an ssd), ubuntu 10.04 (installed second on the first partition of a platter drive), and I want to add either Cent or SL on the second partition of the platter drive. I will probably also want to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
0 Replies

3. Ubuntu

VMware crash on startup

Hi all This is kind of urgent... please give any advice if possible. I'll try and explain it as simply as possible. As a new user of VMware, I was impressed with it. Until it decided to freeze every time I start it. I have an assessment due tomorrow, and I need to submit the files via... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: qf_woodfox
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Fedora startup script help

Can someone please tell me how to run a fedora startup script? I read these guides and tried to do what they said with no luck. Create a Startup Script Custom Startup Script | Open Source Club at Ohio State University This is what I put in my startup script. #!/bin/bash # chkconfig:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

xrandr: cannot find crtc for output VGA1

If you get one of these two messages it means you either have a bad connection or you forgot to turn off the screen that you used last (the second one only happens in my experience when use multiple types of screens). xrandr: cannot find crtc for output VGA1 xrandr: cannot find crtc for output... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

xrandr imagining things

Why is my xrandr imagining things? I have disconnected VGA1 power. How is the VGA1 still coming up? $ xrandr Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1024 x 768, maximum 4096 x 4096 LVDS1 connected 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 304mm x 228mm 1024x768 60.0*+ ... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

7. Linux

Fedora on VMware

I am trying to install Fedora 18 on a Windows system through VMware. When I power on the virtual machine I get messages that Fedora is starting, but the end result is just a screen with a graphic of a large blue box. No buttons to be found and input does nothing. I do have Knoppix running using the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: intranslation
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apache tomcat startup script not booting at startup.

I copied the script from an AskUbuntu post - #!/bin/bash ### BEGIN INIT INFO # Provides: tomcat7 # Required-Start: $network # Required-Stop: $network # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5 # Default-Stop: 0 1 6 # Short-Description: Start/Stop Tomcat server ### END INIT INFO ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
14 Replies
OCF_HEARTBEAT_VMWARE(7) 					OCF resource agents					   OCF_HEARTBEAT_VMWARE(7)

NAME
ocf_heartbeat_vmware - Manages VMWare Server 2.0 virtual machines SYNOPSIS
vmware [start | stop | monitor | meta-data] DESCRIPTION
OCF compliant script to control vmware server 2.0 virtual machines. SUPPORTED PARAMETERS
vmxpath VMX configuration file path (required, string, no default) vimshbin vmware-vim-cmd executable path (optional, string, default /usr/bin/vmware-vim-cmd) SUPPORTED ACTIONS
This resource agent supports the following actions (operations): start Starts the resource. Suggested minimum timeout: 600. stop Stops the resource. Suggested minimum timeout: 600. monitor Performs a detailed status check. Suggested minimum timeout: 30. Suggested interval: 300. meta-data Retrieves resource agent metadata (internal use only). Suggested minimum timeout: 5. EXAMPLE
The following is an example configuration for a vmware resource using the crm(8) shell: primitive example_vmware ocf:heartbeat:vmware params vmxpath=string op monitor timeout="30" interval="300" depth="0" SEE ALSO
http://www.linux-ha.org/wiki/vmware_(resource_agent) AUTHOR
Linux-HA contributors (see the resource agent source for information about individual authors) resource-agents 1.0.3 07/05/2010 OCF_HEARTBEAT_VMWARE(7)