Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Exclude files in gzip command Post 302900087 by rohit_shinez on Sunday 4th of May 2014 03:06:33 AM
Old 05-04-2014
hi don,

let me tell what i needed is
1. I want to exclude files starting with AUS and ending with either .csv or .txt alone
2. to exclude if any sub directories present in my directory becoz gzip will not zip if any directory present

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

du (exclude files)

Hi, I want to get the disk usage of a directory. But I want it to ignore a particular directory within it. Lets say I want disk usage of all files/dirs within dir1 except those that are named .snapshot Does du have the option of excluding a particular directory. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_learner
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

unzip particular gzip files among the normal data files

Hello experts, I run Solaris 9. I have a below script which is used for gunzip the thousand files from a directory. ---- #!/usr/bin/sh cd /home/thousands/gzipfiles/ for i in `ls -1` do gunzip -c $i > /path/to/file/$i done ---- In my SAME directory there thousand of GZIP file and also... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list the files but exclude the files in subdirectories

If I execute the command "ls -l /export/home/abcde/dev/proj/code/* | awk -F' ' '{print $9}' | cut -d'/' -f6-8" it will list all the files in /export/home/abcde/dev/proj/code/ directory as well as the files in subdirectories also proj/code/test.sh proj/code/test1.c proj/code/unix... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyjuezy
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using GZIP command

Hi All, Is it possible to redirect the o/p of gzip command to another file? I need to store the o/p in a separate file Regards, sh_kk (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sh_kk
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command with exclude

I had a Shell script that removes the files that are in a directory older than the specified days. find /test/files -mtime +10 I would like to add another condition to the find command above that is to exclude any file starting with ‘CGU' Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: db2dbac
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gzip vs pipe gzip: produce different file size

Hi All, I have a random test file: test.txt, size: 146 $ ll test.txt $ 146 test.txt Take 1: $ cat test.txt | gzip > test.txt.gz $ ll test.txt.gz $ 124 test.txt.gz Take 2: $ gzip test.txt $ ll test.txt.gz $ 133 test.txt.gz As you can see, gzipping a file and piping into gzip... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hanfresco
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command to exclude files with no extension

The below 'ls' command will list down files with extensions and suppress the ones with no extension ls |grep "\\." But this dosen't work when I apply the same logic using 'find' command find . -type f |grep "\\." I need help on how this logic can be implemented using 'find' command (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meenavin
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to exclude .NFSxxx files in clear old files batch script

I am new to Shell Scripting and need some help. The following batch job has been failing for me due to the .nfsxxx files in use. I need to know how to modify the following script to exclude the .nfsxxx files so this batch job will not fail on me. I have done lots of googling and keep coming back... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimberlyg2007
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude files in ls

Hi, I need to exlucde the files which are present in exclude.txt from a directory exlcude.txt AUZ.txt AUZ.chk NZ.txt NZ.chk tried with below code but not working ls -ltr | grep -v `cat exclude.lst` (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude directories in FIND command

Can you please help tweak the below command to exclude all directories with the name "logs" and "tmp" find . -type f \( ! -name "*.tar*" ! -name "*.bkp*" \) -exec /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -i "user_1" /dev/null {} + >result.out bash-3.2$ uname -a SunOS mymac 5.10 Generic_150400-26 sun4v sparc sun4v... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies
GIT-LS-FILES(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-LS-FILES(1)

NAME
git-ls-files - Show information about files in the index and the working tree SYNOPSIS
git ls-files [-z] [-t] [-v] (--[cached|deleted|others|ignored|stage|unmerged|killed|modified])* (-[c|d|o|i|s|u|k|m])* [-x <pattern>|--exclude=<pattern>] [-X <file>|--exclude-from=<file>] [--exclude-per-directory=<file>] [--exclude-standard] [--error-unmatch] [--with-tree=<tree-ish>] [--full-name] [--abbrev] [--] [<file>...] DESCRIPTION
This merges the file listing in the directory cache index with the actual working directory list, and shows different combinations of the two. One or more of the options below may be used to determine the files shown: OPTIONS
-c, --cached Show cached files in the output (default) -d, --deleted Show deleted files in the output -m, --modified Show modified files in the output -o, --others Show other (i.e. untracked) files in the output -i, --ignored Show only ignored files in the output. When showing files in the index, print only those matched by an exclude pattern. When showing "other" files, show only those matched by an exclude pattern. -s, --stage Show staged contents' object name, mode bits and stage number in the output. --directory If a whole directory is classified as "other", show just its name (with a trailing slash) and not its whole contents. --no-empty-directory Do not list empty directories. Has no effect without --directory. -u, --unmerged Show unmerged files in the output (forces --stage) -k, --killed Show files on the filesystem that need to be removed due to file/directory conflicts for checkout-index to succeed. -z line termination on output. -x <pattern>, --exclude=<pattern> Skip untracked files matching pattern. Note that pattern is a shell wildcard pattern. See EXCLUDE PATTERNS below for more information. -X <file>, --exclude-from=<file> Read exclude patterns from <file>; 1 per line. --exclude-per-directory=<file> Read additional exclude patterns that apply only to the directory and its subdirectories in <file>. --exclude-standard Add the standard Git exclusions: .git/info/exclude, .gitignore in each directory, and the user's global exclusion file. --error-unmatch If any <file> does not appear in the index, treat this as an error (return 1). --with-tree=<tree-ish> When using --error-unmatch to expand the user supplied <file> (i.e. path pattern) arguments to paths, pretend that paths which were removed in the index since the named <tree-ish> are still present. Using this option with -s or -u options does not make any sense. -t This feature is semi-deprecated. For scripting purpose, git-status(1)--porcelain and git-diff-files(1)--name-status are almost always superior alternatives, and users should look at git-status(1)--short or git-diff(1)--name-status for more user-friendly alternatives. This option identifies the file status with the following tags (followed by a space) at the start of each line: H cached S skip-worktree M unmerged R removed/deleted C modified/changed K to be killed ? other -v Similar to -t, but use lowercase letters for files that are marked as assume unchanged (see git-update-index(1)). --full-name When run from a subdirectory, the command usually outputs paths relative to the current directory. This option forces paths to be output relative to the project top directory. --abbrev[=<n>] Instead of showing the full 40-byte hexadecimal object lines, show only a partial prefix. Non default number of digits can be specified with --abbrev=<n>. --debug After each line that describes a file, add more data about its cache entry. This is intended to show as much information as possible for manual inspection; the exact format may change at any time. -- Do not interpret any more arguments as options. <file> Files to show. If no files are given all files which match the other specified criteria are shown. OUTPUT
git ls-files just outputs the filenames unless --stage is specified in which case it outputs: [<tag> ]<mode> <object> <stage> <file> git ls-files --unmerged and git ls-files --stage can be used to examine detailed information on unmerged paths. For an unmerged path, instead of recording a single mode/SHA-1 pair, the index records up to three such pairs; one from tree O in stage 1, A in stage 2, and B in stage 3. This information can be used by the user (or the porcelain) to see what should eventually be recorded at the path. (see git-read-tree(1) for more information on state) When -z option is not used, TAB, LF, and backslash characters in pathnames are represented as , , and \, respectively. EXCLUDE PATTERNS
git ls-files can use a list of "exclude patterns" when traversing the directory tree and finding files to show when the flags --others or --ignored are specified. gitignore(5) specifies the format of exclude patterns. These exclude patterns come from these places, in order: 1. The command line flag --exclude=<pattern> specifies a single pattern. Patterns are ordered in the same order they appear in the command line. 2. The command line flag --exclude-from=<file> specifies a file containing a list of patterns. Patterns are ordered in the same order they appear in the file. 3. The command line flag --exclude-per-directory=<name> specifies a name of the file in each directory git ls-files examines, normally .gitignore. Files in deeper directories take precedence. Patterns are ordered in the same order they appear in the files. A pattern specified on the command line with --exclude or read from the file specified with --exclude-from is relative to the top of the directory tree. A pattern read from a file specified by --exclude-per-directory is relative to the directory that the pattern file appears in. SEE ALSO
git-read-tree(1), gitignore(5) GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-LS-FILES(1)