Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help with a script to track IPs Post 302899864 by zaxxon on Friday 2nd of May 2014 06:25:06 AM
Old 05-02-2014
There is no "the script". What operating system is your PC running?
There are several tools for different operating systems to track connections.

Maybe get Wireshark for example, which is also available for several OSes.

Else as a start, maybe write a loop that triggers netstat which is available on most OS and writes the output to a file.
Show what you have tried and we can help maybe.

Last edited by zaxxon; 05-02-2014 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: typo, adding info

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Possible to track FTP user last login? Last and Finger don't track them.

Like the topic says, does anyone know if it is possible to check to see when an FTP only user has logged in? Because the shell is /bin/false and they are only using FTP to access the system doing a "finger" or "last" it says they have never logged in. Is there a way to see when ftp users log in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
1 Replies

2. AIX

Script Keeping Track of Itself

Hi All We have a WEB Based application running on the IBM AIX server. There is a EOD Job which runs a UNIX script containing EOD Jobs. Say If any job fails then we have to explicitly comment out the jobs which were successfully executed and then re run the same. Is there any was by which we... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prashantckc
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to ping a range of IPs

Hi Can someone give me a shell script that can ping a range of IPs and return IPs which are not pingable. Range for example say 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.50 and whichever are not pingable then return the IP. Thanks for your help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tannu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to track and later kill a process in a script

Hello, I am trying to write a script that turns off the screensaver for a certain period of time, then come back on. I have had it up and running for a while, but then I decided to refactor it a bit for my family members that are less computer savvy. I am starting a subshell for the "meat" of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to create a logfile to track the below script output

Hi Dudes, Can you please suggest me how to create a logfile to track the below script output ? Thanks #!/bin/ksh # backup the "std" I/P file descriptor exec 5<&0 #echo "Proceed ?" while read config_line; do # backup the I/P file descriptor of "while" block exec 6<&0 # restore the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shirdi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to monitor a process and track status in a file

i have a scenario where i need a script that monitors a process "Monitor" based on process id... there can be any number of instances of this running... i start this across 4 servers in NFS. Now i need a file which has the process ids of the process that are currently in execution at any... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: niteesh_!7
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Track the files accessed by a script.

How can i track all the files accessed by script. The script is supposed to bring up my application and this script is just the main script which inturn calls another scripts and executable. I need to know all the the files this main script calls and the files accessed by all the other scripts... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chacko193
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script filtering IPs

Hello gentlemen. I would like to create a shell script (no perl or python please) to generate a list with those rules. Let's suppose I've this text file: a@A:soss(z)1.1.1.1 Opt!o:2.1.9.55 Azxk<ji>rC211.111.9.0-251.11.34.9 d=211.9.1.3 O.Oox 2.1.2.4-51.9.1.33... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: accolito
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script - filter txt file full of ips

Hello again gentlemen. I would like to make a shell script to 'optimize' a plain text full of IPs. Let's suppose to have this text file: 1.192.63.253-1.192.63.253 1.0.234.46/32 1.1.128.0/17 1.116.0.0/14 1.177.1.157-1.177.1.157 1.23.22.19 1.192.61.0-1.192.61.99 8.6.6.6 I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: accolito
2 Replies

10. Solaris

IPS postinstall script

Hi guys, I'm creating custom package for deploying a bunch of public keys for some root servers we have. I have created script and it works but my problem is how to call this script when I want deploy package with puppet on server? Oracle documentation provided only example for first boot script... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
0 Replies
dpkg-trigger(1) 						    dpkg suite							   dpkg-trigger(1)

NAME
dpkg-trigger - a package trigger utility SYNOPSIS
dpkg-trigger [option...] trigger-name dpkg-trigger [option...] command DESCRIPTION
dpkg-trigger is a tool to explicitly activate triggers and check for its support on the running dpkg. This can be used by maintainer scripts in complex and conditional situations where the file triggers, or the declarative activate triggers control file directive, are insufficiently rich. It can also be used for testing and by system administrators (but note that the triggers won't actually be run by dpkg-trigger). Unrecognized trigger name syntaxes are an error for dpkg-trigger. COMMANDS
--check-supported Check if the running dpkg supports triggers (usually called from a postinst). Will exit 0 if a triggers-capable dpkg has run, or 1 with an error message to stderr if not. Normally, however, it is better just to activate the desired trigger with dpkg-trigger. -?, --help Show the usage message and exit. --version Show the version and exit. OPTIONS
--admindir=dir Change the location of the dpkg database. The default location is /var/lib/dpkg. --by-package=package Override trigger awaiter (normally set by dpkg through the DPKG_MAINTSCRIPT_PACKAGE environment variable of the maintainer scripts, naming the package to which the script belongs, and this will be used by default). --no-await This option arranges that the calling package T (if any) need not await the processing of this trigger; the interested package(s) I, will not be added to T's trigger processing awaited list and T's status is unchanged. T may be considered installed even though I may not yet have processed the trigger. --await This option does the inverse of --no-await (since dpkg 1.17.21). It is currently the default behavior. --no-act Just test, do not actually change anything. EXIT STATUS
0 The requested action was successfully performed. Or a check or assertion command returned true. 1 A check or assertion command returned false. 2 Fatal or unrecoverable error due to invalid command-line usage, or interactions with the system, such as accesses to the database, memory allocations, etc. ENVIRONMENT
DPKG_ADMINDIR If set and the --admindir option has not been specified, it will be used as the dpkg data directory. SEE ALSO
dpkg(1), deb-triggers(5), /usr/share/doc/dpkg-dev/triggers.txt.gz. 1.19.0.5 2018-04-16 dpkg-trigger(1)