Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using awk to match strings and outputing their corresponding values Post 302899777 by kaf3773 on Thursday 1st of May 2014 01:28:29 PM
Old 05-01-2014
Using awk to match strings and outputing their corresponding values

Hi

I will appreciate it if you can help me out. I have a file that contains this data

Code:
System Load: 3244 card: 1903 CPU: 6% card: 1904 CPU: 6% card: 1905 CPU: 28% card: 1906 CPU: 28% card: 1907 CPU: 36% card: 1908 CPU: 37%

I need to manipulate and output this as

Code:
system_load:3244 card1903:6 card1904:6 card1905:28 card1906:28 card1907:36 card1908:37

I have tried to use this awk script i have below

Code:
data=`cat data_file`

system_load=`echo $data | awk '{print $6}'`                           

card1903_p=`echo $data | awk '{print $10}'`
card1903=`echo $card1903_p | nawk -F "%" '{print $1}'`

card1904_p=`echo $data | awk '{print $14}'`
card1904=`echo $card1904_p | nawk -F "%" '{print $1}'`

echo "system_load:$system_load card1903:$card1903 card1904:$card1904 ..."

The problem i have is, this just uses the position of the value but i need the script to be able to match the string as in card: 1903 and pick the CPU value 6.

So in case the positions of the string changes the values will not be mismatched.

I will greatly appreciate your help in doing this

Thanks

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment CODE tags also for data samples please..

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 05-01-2014 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: CODE tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help removing strings from one file that match any of the values in a second file.

Hello, I have a file that lists a few hundred values. Example: abca abcb abcc abcd I have a 2nd file with a few thousand lines. I need to remove every line from the 2nd file that contains any of the values listed in first file. Example of strings to delete: line1 *abca* end of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: upstate_boy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to search similar strings and add their values

Hi, I have a text file with the following content: monday,20 tuesday,10 wednesday,29 monday,10 friday,12 wednesday,14 monday,15 thursday,34 i want the following output: monday,45 tuesday,10 wednesday,43 friday,12 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashu_g
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk strings search + print next column after match

Hi, I have a file filled with search strings which have a blank in between and look like this: S. g. Ehr. o. Jg. v. d. Chijs g. Ehr. Now i would like to search for the strings and it also shall return the next column after the match. awk -v FILE="search_strings.txt" 'BEGIN {... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print strings that match pattern with awk

I have a file with many lines which contain strings like .. etc. But with no rule regarding field separators or anything else. I want to print ONLY THE STRING from each line , not the entire line !!! For example from the lines : Flow on service executed with success in . Performances... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match values in awk

Having trouble modifying the below awk to match $1 of sample.txt to $1 of data.txt and if there is a match, then $2 of data.txt is copied to $7 of sample.txt. Thank you :). awk 'NR==FNR{A=$1; next} A {$1=$1 " " A}1' data.txt sample.txt > output.txt Desired Output: Data... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove field and match strings to add text

In file1 field $18 is removed.... column header is "Otherinfo", then each line in file1 is used to search file2 for a match. When a match is found the last four strings in file2 are copied to file1. Maybe: cut -f1-17 file1 and then match each line to file2 file1 Chr Start End ... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk base lookup of best match strings

Hi, I'm new to scripting and unable to find out a way to perform the below task. Request help in finding out a way to accomplish this. File one consists of some numbers/string which i need to lookup against file 2 and fetch the best match results in output. If best match is not present in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suraj016
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Match Strings between two files, print portions of each file together when matched ([g]awk)

I have two files and desire to use the strings from $1 of file 1 (file1.txt) as search criteria to find matches in $2 of file 2 (file2.txt). If matches are found I want to output the entire line of file 2 (file2.txt) followed by fields $2-$11 of file 1 (file1.txt). I can find the matches, I cannot... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use strings from nth field from one file to match strings in entire line in another file, awk

I cannot seem to get what should be a simple awk one-liner to work correctly and cannot figure out why. I would like to use patterns from a specific field in one file as regex to search for matching strings in the entire line ($0) of another file. I would like to output the lines of File2 which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jvoot
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to match file1 and extract specific tag values

File2 is tab-delimeted and I am trying to use $2 in file1 (space delimeted) as a search term in file2. If it is found then the AF= in and the FDP= values from file2 are extracted and printed next to the file1 line. I commented the awk before I added the lines in bold the current output resulted. I... (7 Replies)
7 Replies
PLAYWAV(1)						    Voicetronix Telephony Tools 						PLAYWAV(1)

NAME
playwav - Play an audio file to a Voicetronix hardware port SYNOPSIS
playwav [options] file DESCRIPTION
The playwav utility sends audio data from a wav file to a port. OPTIONS
The following options are available: --card number Explicitly select the card to test. Default is card 0. --port number Explicitly select the port to test. Default is port 0 of the specified card. --playgain db Set the playback gain. --recgain db Set the recording gain. Only useful with the --rec option. --dial digits Dial the given digits during playback. --ring Wait for the line to ring before playing. Only useful for FXO ports. --rec outfile Record the incoming signal while playing. Useful for cut-through testing. --loop Enable tx->rx loopback. Useful for echo testing, but not supported for all hardware types. --hostecho Enable the host based echo canceller. SEE ALSO
recwav(1) AUTHOR
Ron Lee, David Rowe, Voicetronix <support@voicetronix.com.au> This manual page was written by Ron <ron@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). VPB driver package Feb 4, 2007 PLAYWAV(1)