Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Exclude files in gzip command Post 302899764 by rohit_shinez on Thursday 1st of May 2014 11:57:25 AM
Old 05-01-2014
Hi Alister,

will it be possible with your find command to exclude files starts with AUS and ends with either .csv or .txt i need to exclude AUS.txt and AUS.csv

Makarand

That really worked perfect but is there any way i can directly invoke the path using your code instead of applying using cd path. I need this to directly zip from the directory like it does
Code:
cd directory path
gzip $directory/*

Last edited by rohit_shinez; 05-01-2014 at 01:07 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

du (exclude files)

Hi, I want to get the disk usage of a directory. But I want it to ignore a particular directory within it. Lets say I want disk usage of all files/dirs within dir1 except those that are named .snapshot Does du have the option of excluding a particular directory. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_learner
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

unzip particular gzip files among the normal data files

Hello experts, I run Solaris 9. I have a below script which is used for gunzip the thousand files from a directory. ---- #!/usr/bin/sh cd /home/thousands/gzipfiles/ for i in `ls -1` do gunzip -c $i > /path/to/file/$i done ---- In my SAME directory there thousand of GZIP file and also... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list the files but exclude the files in subdirectories

If I execute the command "ls -l /export/home/abcde/dev/proj/code/* | awk -F' ' '{print $9}' | cut -d'/' -f6-8" it will list all the files in /export/home/abcde/dev/proj/code/ directory as well as the files in subdirectories also proj/code/test.sh proj/code/test1.c proj/code/unix... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyjuezy
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using GZIP command

Hi All, Is it possible to redirect the o/p of gzip command to another file? I need to store the o/p in a separate file Regards, sh_kk (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sh_kk
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command with exclude

I had a Shell script that removes the files that are in a directory older than the specified days. find /test/files -mtime +10 I would like to add another condition to the find command above that is to exclude any file starting with ‘CGU' Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: db2dbac
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gzip vs pipe gzip: produce different file size

Hi All, I have a random test file: test.txt, size: 146 $ ll test.txt $ 146 test.txt Take 1: $ cat test.txt | gzip > test.txt.gz $ ll test.txt.gz $ 124 test.txt.gz Take 2: $ gzip test.txt $ ll test.txt.gz $ 133 test.txt.gz As you can see, gzipping a file and piping into gzip... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hanfresco
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command to exclude files with no extension

The below 'ls' command will list down files with extensions and suppress the ones with no extension ls |grep "\\." But this dosen't work when I apply the same logic using 'find' command find . -type f |grep "\\." I need help on how this logic can be implemented using 'find' command (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meenavin
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to exclude .NFSxxx files in clear old files batch script

I am new to Shell Scripting and need some help. The following batch job has been failing for me due to the .nfsxxx files in use. I need to know how to modify the following script to exclude the .nfsxxx files so this batch job will not fail on me. I have done lots of googling and keep coming back... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimberlyg2007
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude files in ls

Hi, I need to exlucde the files which are present in exclude.txt from a directory exlcude.txt AUZ.txt AUZ.chk NZ.txt NZ.chk tried with below code but not working ls -ltr | grep -v `cat exclude.lst` (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude directories in FIND command

Can you please help tweak the below command to exclude all directories with the name "logs" and "tmp" find . -type f \( ! -name "*.tar*" ! -name "*.bkp*" \) -exec /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -i "user_1" /dev/null {} + >result.out bash-3.2$ uname -a SunOS mymac 5.10 Generic_150400-26 sun4v sparc sun4v... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies
GZFORCE(1)						      General Commands Manual							GZFORCE(1)

NAME
gzforce - force a '.gz' extension on all gzip files SYNOPSIS
gzforce [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
gzforce forces a .gz extension on all gzip files so that gzip will not compress them twice. This can be useful for files with names trun- cated after a file transfer. On systems with a 14 char limitation on file names, the original name is truncated to make room for the .gz suffix. For example, 12345678901234 is renamed to 12345678901.gz. A file name such as foo.tgz is left intact. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), gznew(1), gzmore(1), gzgrep(1), gzdiff(1), gzexe(1) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgzip | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | External | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gzip is available in the SUNWgzipS package. GZFORCE(1)