Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Produce the number 2014 without any numbers in your source code... Post 302899702 by wisecracker on Wednesday 30th of April 2014 06:37:51 PM
Old 04-30-2014
Thanks Don...

I thought "base 68" looked more than ludicrous.
I never dreamt of "D" being a hex digit however; I just assumed it was a literal ASCII to decimal conversion...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

How to replace many numbers with one number in a file

How to replace many numbers with one number in a file. Many numbers like 444565,454678,443298,etc. i want to replace these with one number (300).Please halp me out. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpandey
2 Replies

2. Programming

Changing source port number of a TCP client packet

Hi all, I need to change the source port number of an outgoing TCP packet. First I have to bind the socket to a particular port(suppose 9001) but when I send the TCP packet I want to change the source port number lets say to 9002 still letting the socket to be bound to the same old port (9001).... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragrai134
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find missing numbers from a number series

Hi, My requirement is I have an input file with a continuous series from 10000 to 99999. I have some numbers missing from those series. I want a output file which produces those missing numbers. Eg: 10002, 99999 are missing from the series then the output file should contain those... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshbharadwaj
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

the smallest number from 90% of highest numbers from all numbers in file

Hello All, I am having problem to find what is the smallest number from 90% of highest numbers from all numbers in file. I am having file with thousands of lines and hundreds of columns. I am familiar mainly with bash but I am open to whatever suggestion witch will lead to the solutions. If I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Apfik
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Closest Number from a Range of Numbers

out of a range of numbers, how can i pick out the number that is the closest to any arbitrary/random number that a user supplies? say the range of numbers are between 1 - 90000. but that doesn't mean each number exist between 1 - 90000. the range of numbers could be for example: 1, 3, 4, 6,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add and divide each numbers with the added number

Hi All, I am stuck with this problem. I have some 100000 (.dat) 1.dat, 2.dat,3.dat etc until 100000.dat files which look like this: 1.dat 1 2 3 4 0.99 4.54 All my files 1.dat until 100000.dat look the same but with different numbers. I have to first add all the numbers in each... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Block of code replacement in Java source code through Unix script

Hi, I want to remove the following code from Source files (or replace the code with empty.) from all the source files in given directory. finally { if (null != hibernateSession && hibernateSession.isOpen()) { //hibernateSession.close(); } } It would be great if the script has... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hareeshram
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print numbers between two number ranges

Hi, I have a list.txt file with number ranges and want to print/save new all.txt file with all the numbers and between the numbers. == list.txt == 65936 65938 65942 && 65943 65945 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AK47
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of files copied from source to destination location

Hi Guys, how to count number of files successfully copied while coping files from source to destination path ex:10 files from source to target location copying if 8 files copied successfully then echo successfully copied=8 failure=2 files if two files get error to coping files from... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravanreddy
23 Replies
ASCII(1)                                                         Development Tools                                                        ASCII(1)

NAME
ascii - report character aliases SYNOPSIS
ascii [-dxohv] [-t] [char-alias...] OPTIONS
Called with no options, ascii behaves like `ascii -h'. Options are as follows: -t Script-friendly mode, emits only ISO/decimal/hex/octal/binary encodings of the character. -s Parse multiple characters. Convenient way of parsing strings. -d Ascii table in decimal. -x Ascii table in hex. -o Ascii table in octal. -h, -? Show summary of options and a simple ASCII table. -v Show version of program. DESCRIPTION
Characters in the ASCII set can have many aliases, depending on context. A character's possible names include: * Its bit pattern (binary representation). * Its hex, decimal and octal representations. * Its teletype mnemonic and caret-notation form (for control chars). * Its backlash-escape form in C (for some control chars). * Its printed form (for printables). * Its full ISO official name in English. * Its ISO/ECMA code table reference. * Its name as an HTML/SGML entity. * Slang and other names in wide use for it among hackers. This utility accepts command-line strings and tries to interpret them as one of the above. When it finds a value, it prints all of the names of the character. The constructs in the following list can be used to specify character values. If an argument could be interpreted in two or more ways, names for all the different characters it might be are dumped. character Any character not described by one of the following conventions represents the character itself. ^character A caret followed by a character. character A backslash followed by certain special characters (abfnrtv). mnemonic An ASCII teletype mnemonic. hexadecimal A hexadecimal (hex) sequence consists of one or two case-insensitive hex digit characters (01234567890abcdef). To ensure hex interpretation use hexh, 0xhex, xhex or xhex. decimal A decimal sequence consists of one, two or three decimal digit characters (0123456789). To ensure decimal interpretation use ddecimal, ddecimal, or ddecimal. octal An octal sequence consists of one, two or three octal digit characters (01234567). To ensure octal interpretation use octal, 0ooctal, ooctal, or ooctal. bit pattern A bit pattern (binary) sequence consists of one to eight binary digit characters (01). To ensure bit interpretation use 0bbit pattern, bbit pattern or bit pattern. ISO/ECMA code A ISO/ECMA code sequence consists of one or two decimal digit characters, a slash, and one or two decimal digit characters. name An official ASCII or slang name. The slang names recognized and printed out are from a rather comprehensive list that first appeared on USENET in early 1990 and has been continuously updated since. Mnemonics recognized and printed include the official ASCII set, some official ISO names (where those differ) and a few common-use alternatives (such as NL for LF). HTML/SGML entity names are also printed when applicable. All comparisons are case-insensitive, and dashes are mapped to spaces. Any unrecognized arguments or out of range values are silently ignored. Note that the -s option will not recognize 'long' names, as it cannot differentiate them from other parts of the string. For correct results, be careful to stringize or quote shell metacharacters in arguments (especially backslash). This utility is particularly handy for interpreting cc(1)'s ugly octal `invalid-character' messages, or when coding anything to do with serial communications. As a side effect it serves as a handy base-converter for random 8-bit values. AUTHOR
Eric S. Raymond esr@snark.thyrsus.com; November 1990 (home page at http://www.catb.org/~esr/). Reproduce, use, and modify as you like as long as you don't remove this authorship notice. Ioannis E. Tambouras <ioannis@debian.org> added command options and minor enhancements. Brian J. Ginsbach <ginsbach@sgi.com> fixed several bugs and expanded the man page. David N. Welton <davidw@efn.org> added the -s option. Matej Vela corrected the ISO names. Dave Capella contributed the idea of listing HTML/SGML entities. ascii 03/26/2011 ASCII(1)