Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep for string and substitute if exits with a yes/no Post 302899671 by Diya123 on Wednesday 30th of April 2014 03:19:06 PM
Old 04-30-2014
I tried it for a single file search and was not successful

awk 'NR==FNR{keys[$1]; next} {for (key in keys) if ($0 ~ key) {print FILENAME, $0; next} }' file1.txt file3.txt >output.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

substitute string according line number

Hi all, I have an xml file which have several sections as the following: <process-type id="NIR" module-id="OC4J"> <module-data> <category id="start-parameters"> <data id="java-options" value="-server... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

substitute the grep output

I have a file name called fruits. In this file the prices keep on changing & the order in which fruits are listed keep on changing. $ cat fruits fruitname price/pound redapples 30 grapes 50 oranges 20 $echo $custom_price 35 What I want to do is that if the file "fruits" contains... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jasmeet100
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match keyword on string and substitute under vi

Hi guys, with sed when I need to make a substitution inside a line containing a specific keyword, I usually use: sed '/keyword/ s/cat/dog/g' This will substitute "cat" with "dog" on those lines containing "keyword". Now I want to use this inside vi, for several reason that I cannot... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lycaon
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To substitute a string in a line to another string

Suppose, d=ABC*.BGH.LKJ Now I want to replace 'DEFGHIJ' instead of '*.B' and store the value in d. Any Idea? Can we use sed here? The outout should be like this: d=ABCDEFGHIJGH.LKJ Please help.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Niroj
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to substitute brackets in the beginning of string in perl?

Hi, I have a string like this user can specify different query sets that is why "or" is mentioned: $string="]("; or $string="](("; or $string="]((("; or $string="]((((("; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vanitham
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and substitute a string

Hi, I started exploring unix recently. Now i have got a requirement like i have a input file where i am having some strings line by line (One string Might be single line or multiple lines). Now i need find these strings in another file and if its found i have to replace it with another string... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sivajee
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute string with an index number

Objective is to substitute Jan with 01, Feb with 02 and so on. The month will be provided as input. I could construct below awk and it worked. echo Jun | \ awk 'BEGIN{split("Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec",mon," ")}{ for (i=1;i<=12;i++){ if ($1==mon) printf("%02d\n",i)} }' ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep and substitute?

I have to parse ASCII files, output the relevant data to a comma-delimited file and load it into a database table. The specs for the file format have been recently updated and one section is causing problems. This is the original layout for that section. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[sed]: Substitute a string with a multiline value

Dear all, I try to replace a string of characters in a file (MyFile.txt) by a multiline value of the variable "Myvar": $ cat MyFile.txt DESCRIPTION '@TargetTable SCHEMA' ( @InputFlowDef ); $ The content of Myvar: $ echo "$Myvar" col1 , col2 , col3 $ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute grep command at run time

HI I am trying to use the following code in the shell script (using grep) usage() { echo "Usage: ./$0 <file name> <interval> <pattern>" } METRICS_FILE=$1 INTERVAL=$2 PATTERN="$3" .. if then PATTERN="grep Gx" fi COUNT=`cat ${METRICS_FILE} | "${PATTERN}" |egrep... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: asifansari
8 Replies
INFO(1) 							   User Commands							   INFO(1)

NAME
info - read Info documents SYNOPSIS
info [OPTION]... [MENU-ITEM...] DESCRIPTION
Read documentation in Info format. OPTIONS
-k, --apropos=STRING look up STRING in all indices of all manuals. -d, --directory=DIR add DIR to INFOPATH. --dribble=FILENAME remember user keystrokes in FILENAME. -f, --file=FILENAME specify Info file to visit. -h, --help display this help and exit. --index-search=STRING go to node pointed by index entry STRING. -n, --node=NODENAME specify nodes in first visited Info file. -o, --output=FILENAME output selected nodes to FILENAME. -R, --raw-escapes output "raw" ANSI escapes (default). --no-raw-escapes output escapes as literal text. --restore=FILENAME read initial keystrokes from FILENAME. -O, --show-options, --usage go to command-line options node. --subnodes recursively output menu items. --vi-keys use vi-like and less-like key bindings. --version display version information and exit. -w, --where, --location print physical location of Info file. The first non-option argument, if present, is the menu entry to start from; it is searched for in all `dir' files along INFOPATH. If it is not present, info merges all `dir' files and shows the result. Any remaining arguments are treated as the names of menu items relative to the initial node visited. For a summary of key bindings, type h within Info. EXAMPLES
info show top-level dir menu info info show the general manual for Info readers info info-stnd show the manual specific to this Info program info emacs start at emacs node from top-level dir info emacs buffers start at buffers node within emacs manual info --show-options emacs start at node with emacs' command line options info --subnodes -o out.txt emacs dump entire manual to out.txt info -f ./foo.info show file ./foo.info, not searching dir REPORTING BUGS
Email bug reports to bug-texinfo@gnu.org, general questions and discussion to help-texinfo@gnu.org. Texinfo home page: http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html> This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. info 4.13 September 2008 INFO(1)