Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: I 'd like to start fresh.
Operating Systems Solaris I 'd like to start fresh. Post 302899602 by newborndba on Wednesday 30th of April 2014 10:57:56 AM
Old 04-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbe
Well what makes you think it will be different this time?
The most important is at installation, not accept the defaults and give correct paths straightaway, look and read carefully oracle installation script before you start
I think you are right, I don't know how different will it be next time since I am no expert.

1) I don't have to deinstall/delete anything if I can get a little push. What's confusing is there are multiple entries of Oracle DB in etc/oratab file. We don't have any DB running on this machine so how do I delete those entries.

2) I have multiple entries of dba group in etc/group file which I am confused about. I don't know which 1 to keep and which 1 to delete?

3) root env and oracle env is different. How would I change it for oracle user since I can't start sqlplus, it gives me an error: SQLPLUS not found.

I have more problems but this is for now. I don't mind fixing this first?

We had an Oracle DBA who left , so this might be an opportunity for me to learn Oracle. Any help will be highly appreciated.

---------- Post updated at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:26 AM ----------

I changed the .profile and as of now sqlplus is working.
Oracle env and root env ar ethe same now.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fresh Solaris installation

Dear experts I am going to do a fresh installation of Solaris 8 on my spark workstation. Which partitions or subdirectories I have to make during installation. Which size you recommend. My installation disk is 8 GB. Cheers Reza (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
2 Replies

2. Solaris

fresh admin

hi everybody i'm just recreuted as UNIX system admin... please tell me from where do i have to begin... best regards (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmaiida
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start program in background (or start crontab ahead of time)

Hey! I'm working on a script that will add a user, create some configfiles, and add a crontab for the user. The crontab looks like the following: @reboot /home/user/program config.conf & I would like for this process to start at the end of my script under the corresponding username by... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
0 Replies

4. AIX

Command to fresh the memory !

Command to fresh the memory ! Some time during some load on the AIX system memory will get hang and will not respond for any new process. Can you please helper me with command to fresh the memory to avoid that hanging on the memory. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fresh sendmail configuration

I have a requirement to enable sendmail in all the servers in our lab. This is required in lots of cases like e-mail the server owner if any hardware error and if any application problems and so. Here my part is to confirm that it is possible to send e-mail to the system user from the server.e-mail... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: testbedengr
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 8 fresh install halts

Installing Solaris 8 for the first time...on a SunBlade 100. I have original Solaris 8 CD's. About 45 minutes into the installation, the install halts with the following errors: ERROR: Could not open file /a/etc/vfstab ERROR: Could not create the file system mount table /etc/vfstab I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very fresh to UNIX

Hello all, I am very new to unix. Can anybody suggest me good learning videos and their links for UNIX. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nnani
1 Replies
ROUNDUP-SERVER(1)					      General Commands Manual						 ROUNDUP-SERVER(1)

NAME
roundup-demo - create a roundup "demo" tracker and launch its web interface SYNOPSIS
roundup-demo [backend [nuke]] OPTIONS
nuke Create a fresh demo tracker (deleting the existing one if any). If the additional backend argument is specified, the new demo tracker will use the backend named (one of "anydbm", "sqlite", "metakit", "mysql" or "postgresql"; subject to availability on your system). DESCRIPTION
This command creates a fresh demo tracker for you to experiment with. The email features of Roundup will be turned off (so the nosy feature won't send email). It does this by removing the nosyreaction.py module from the demo tracker's detectors directory. If you wish, you may modify the demo tracker by editing its configuration files and HTML templates. See the customisation manual for infor- mation about how to do that. Once you've fiddled with the demo tracker, you may use it as a template for creating your real, live tracker. Simply run the roundup-admin command to install the tracker from inside the demo tracker home directory, and it will be listed as an available template for installa- tion. No data will be copied over. AUTHOR
This manpage was written by Richard Jones <richard@users.sourceforge.net>. 27 July 2004 ROUNDUP-SERVER(1)