Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Reverse words with sed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reverse words with sed Post 302899459 by Subbeh on Tuesday 29th of April 2014 09:27:25 AM
Old 04-29-2014
Thanks Jim, although it's not exactly what I was looking for.

I know the awk, tac and rev solutions but was especially interested in getting a good sed example for educational purposes as it was harder to create than I thought it would be.
Also note that there is no delimiter between the words in the string.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed and regex to reverse order???

so i have been trying to learn how to manipulate text on my own and have gotten stumped... let's say i have a text file that says (highly simplified): people ordinary How would swap the order of the words.. I know i need to use sed and some kind of back reference but cannot make it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urtherhoda
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed [delete everything between two words]

Hi, I have the following codes below that aims to delete every words between two pattern word. Say I have the files To delete every word between WISH_LIST=" and " I used the below codes (but its not working): #!/bin/sh sed ' /WISH_LIST=\"/ { N /\n.*\"/ {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Orbix
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

reverse tokens with sed

I currently use this bash for loop below to reverse a set of tokens, example "abc def ghi" to "ghi def abc" but in looking at various sed one liner postings I notice two methods to reverse lines of text from a file (emulating tac) and reversing letters in a string (emulating rev) so I've spent some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markc
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search two words in sed

I've following sed command working fine - sed '/search_pattern1/ !s/pattern1/pattern2/" file Now, I want to search two patterns - search_pattern1 and search_pattern2 . How can put these into above sed statement ? Thanks in advance. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajitkumar2
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

swap words in a line with sed

Hello. There is something I can not manage : I want to swap the first word with the third one in every line. No file is given the input is read from the keyboard. I know I have to use sed, but it seems this is too complicated for me. Could you help me please ? Thanks, atticus (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: atticus
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

output words between sentences SED

Hi, i need to delete every thing ecept sentences between known prases lets say i have Thu Dec 4 08:28:57 2008 : Auth: Login OK: (from client LINKSYS3 port 12 cli 001644fc4838) i need information between Login OK: and ] (from what is vyce6220. between client and port between cli... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrwe
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed append words

Hi all, I have a file like one two three for five six seven eight ..... Actually i need to append a label to the words that belong to the 2 column and get: one two_label three for five six_label seven eight .... I was trying with sed inside vim but I can't figure out... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed/awk for reverse search and print

I have a file which is DFDG START DSFDS DSDS XXX END (VIO) AADD START SDSD FGFG END and I have to print the lines between START and END (VIO). In the files there are multiple places where START would be followed by END with few lines in between but I need to print only if START is... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgbuddy
18 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - delete words between two possible words

Hi all, I want to make an script using sed that removes everything between 'begin' (including the line that has it) and 'end1' or 'end2', not removing this line. Let me paste an 2 examples: anything before any string begin few lines of content end1 anything after anything before any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meuser
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swap words using sed

Hi. I have to swap the first and the third word in all lines of a txt file using sed. Separators between words are: any charachter, except intervall. I hope, you'll understand what I want to do. my english is not so good, sorry for that:) (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: T720
10 Replies
TAC(1)								   User Commands							    TAC(1)

NAME
tac - concatenate and print files in reverse SYNOPSIS
tac [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Write each FILE to standard output, last line first. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -b, --before attach the separator before instead of after -r, --regex interpret the separator as a regular expression -s, --separator=STRING use STRING as the separator instead of newline --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by Jay Lepreau and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report tac translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
rev(1) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/tac> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) tac invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 TAC(1)