Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Installing packages...need help with the basics Post 302899170 by Smiling Dragon on Monday 28th of April 2014 12:45:05 AM
Old 04-28-2014
Typically (ie you can do what you like within reason but most people follow this guideline):
  • /usr/bin is where the OS has it's executable code, it's also where software that is installed via the OS's package management system (eg .dmg files on Mac).
  • /usr/local/bin is where custom executable code goes, things that aren't managed by any sort of version control in the OS or packages (eg download thing, compile thing, run "make install")
  • You can fulfil dependancies by either getting the right precompiled package, or by compiling yourself (make). You can mix and match, but typically I prefer to use only one method to supply dependancies (especially so if they are only going to be used by that one tool I'm trying to get going) A good rule of thumb is to try really hard to find a 'proper' package for the thing you want, then revert to compiling if you really have to (or if you really need a special version of it or compile option)
  • When you run a "make install" it will follow whatever instructions are in the makefile. Usually, when you run ./configure, it'll set up a few variables automatically to sensible defaults, including the install path.
  • If you want to copy files into protected arts of the OS (/usr/bin and /usr/local/bin for example), you need root privs, sudo grants these to the command you specify immediately after the word "sudo" (eg sudo echo "I am root for this command only")
  • Hitting tab should expand all available commands, but that's probably not what you really want to do. Use ls on the install dir to look for it:
    Code:
    ls /usr/local/bin

or
    Code:
    ls /usr/bin

• Generally speaking, you compile things for the local environment. You can cross-compile but it's a bit fiddly to explain in a forum post.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Installing European Locale Packages

I have installed the locale package for en_GB and if i do a locale -a (after reboot) it will display: en_GB en_GB.ISO8859-1 en_GB.ISO8859-15 en_GB.ISO8859-15@euro (short version) and i get this when typing only 'locale': # locale LANG=en_GB LC_CTYPE="C" LC_NUMERIC=C LC_TIME="C"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xqtor
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing packages

hi Guys, relatively new to Unix. i have a list of Unix packages to install... how do i install only what is on that list? can someone help? Kind regards Brian (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brian112
1 Replies

3. Slackware

Find Slackware Packages - packages.acl.org.ua

Hi! Let me introduce a project for find and download Slackware packages and browse Slackware repositories. The site provides following features: * Large, daily updated database with RPM, DEB, TGZ, TXZ packages for well-known repositories of the Slackware, Fedora, CentOS, RHEL, Debian,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lystor
2 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Installing packages on Redhat 5.5: rpmlib issues

Hi there I'm having trouble with a remote Red Hat server. We are busy with an Oracle 11g installation on this box and going through the list of required packages, etc. The installation required elfutils-libelf-devel-0.148. When I try to install that I get the following error; rpm -i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: notreallyhere
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing deb packages from Ubuntu Server CD

Hi, I have mounted the Ubuntu server edition 10.10 ISO on my server under a directory media/servercd. I would like to install some services from this. I edited the sources.list file to say: deb file:/media/servercd maverick main restricted and it's properly mounted but when I try... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shadowcat
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Installing rpm packages

Hi guys, I am trying to install some packages for my oracle 11g r2 installation, the below error shows up when I try below: warning: glibc-devel-2.5-24.i386.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 37017186 error: Failed dependencies: glibc-headers is needed by... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: messi777
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help me with basics

hello everyone i have to start with unix as it is a part of my training programme and i have to do a self study, i dont know where to start from. i need some basic questions to be answerd like why we use unix ? what is a terminal? what is an editor? why we write commands inside terminal? these... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aryancool
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Installing packages in Solaris 11

I want to install EMCpower (EMC Powerpath package) in Solaris 11. At most of the places, I can see procedure to install packages which comes with repository. This is third party tool, I have downloaded it to /var/tmp. How should I install it ? root@orapdps11 # pkg publisher PUBLISHER ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

Installing Linux packages

hi, I wants to customize the Linux packages after installting the Linux OS... I am not able to install the packages packages in GUI mode System-> Administration->add/remove software.i want to install some desktop and dabase related packages how do i install those packages... I use RHEL6.2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rahulne25
1 Replies
TASKSEL(8)						      Debian specific manpage							TASKSEL(8)

NAME
tasksel - a user interface for installing tasks SYNOPSIS
tasksel install <task> tasksel remove <task> tasksel [options] DESCRIPTION
tasksel shows all available tasks and allows to user to select ones to install OPTIONS
-t, --test test mode; don't actually install or remove packages --new-install automatically select some tasks without even displaying them to the user; default other tasks to on; used during new Debian installs. --list-tasks list on stdout the tasks that would be displayed in the tasksel interface --task-packages task lists on stdout the packages that are available and part of the given task Note that this option may be given more than once. --task-desc task outputs the extended description of the given task --debconf-apt-progress options Pass the specified options to the debconf-apt-progress command that tasksel runs. SEE ALSO
dpkg(8), apt-get(8) FILES
/usr/share/tasksel/*.desc and /usr/local/share/tasksel/*.desc are used to define tasks. AUTHOR
tasksel was written by Randolph Chung <tausq@debian.org> and Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> HISTORY
This document first appeared with tasksel-1.0 3.14.1 2012-08-27 TASKSEL(8)