Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Installing packages...need help with the basics Post 302899123 by jullee on Sunday 27th of April 2014 07:30:12 AM
Old 04-27-2014
Installing packages...need help with the basics

Hello,

I am working in terminal on a Mac OS X 10.9.2. I need to install a series of bioinformatics tools and packages (currently I want to install fastq-tools but downstream I'll need other such as samtools, bwa etc etc.) and will eventually have to be able to do this not only on my mac but also under my user account on a university linux cluster (to a place on the cluster where I have file permissions I guess?).

The instructions for installing fastq-tools reads:

"on most systems, installation is as simple as ./configure && make && make install"..."the only external dependencies are PCRE and zlib"....

I could use clarification on the following:

1) I assume that the steps are to
- download the package from whatever website is hosting it
- unzip it
- cd to that folder in Terminal
- enter the command <<./configure && make && make>>

I assume that I need to do this for each of the dependencies first...

Is this correct?

2) If I follow these steps, where are the executables actually installed? I'm really confused about the whole /usr/bin versus /usr/local/bin thing. How can I see where packages are installed as a default? (I might have inadvertently changed this messing around by now). In fact, when I do this for the dependancies I get errors...

3) I read that if I want to specify a different directory to store the programs in, I can use:

./configure --prefix=/myUnixStuff/programs
make
sudo make install

(why sudo?)

I've done this for one of the dependancies and a bunch of stuff happened but when I open the /myUnixStuff/programs folder, it's empty. Does this mean it failed (I didn't seem to get error messages) or that stuff went somewhere else?

4) Following up from question 3, how does one see all the programs available in PATH to check that an install worked? For some programs it seems you check by typing <<program -V>> but that's not working in this case.

5) Also following up from question 3, if I DO manage to install all the tools I need to one place on my mac, can I simply scp that file over to the linux cluster and expect it to work? (I'm being optimistic here I know)

Sorry for all the questions. I've been searching online for hours and am very lost. If anyone has a straightforward system for installing packages, I'm eager to hear it. I've come across fink and a few other related tools but my comprehension of linux is too poor for me to really understand what those things do....

Thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Installing European Locale Packages

I have installed the locale package for en_GB and if i do a locale -a (after reboot) it will display: en_GB en_GB.ISO8859-1 en_GB.ISO8859-15 en_GB.ISO8859-15@euro (short version) and i get this when typing only 'locale': # locale LANG=en_GB LC_CTYPE="C" LC_NUMERIC=C LC_TIME="C"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xqtor
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing packages

hi Guys, relatively new to Unix. i have a list of Unix packages to install... how do i install only what is on that list? can someone help? Kind regards Brian (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brian112
1 Replies

3. Slackware

Find Slackware Packages - packages.acl.org.ua

Hi! Let me introduce a project for find and download Slackware packages and browse Slackware repositories. The site provides following features: * Large, daily updated database with RPM, DEB, TGZ, TXZ packages for well-known repositories of the Slackware, Fedora, CentOS, RHEL, Debian,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lystor
2 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Installing packages on Redhat 5.5: rpmlib issues

Hi there I'm having trouble with a remote Red Hat server. We are busy with an Oracle 11g installation on this box and going through the list of required packages, etc. The installation required elfutils-libelf-devel-0.148. When I try to install that I get the following error; rpm -i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: notreallyhere
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing deb packages from Ubuntu Server CD

Hi, I have mounted the Ubuntu server edition 10.10 ISO on my server under a directory media/servercd. I would like to install some services from this. I edited the sources.list file to say: deb file:/media/servercd maverick main restricted and it's properly mounted but when I try... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shadowcat
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Installing rpm packages

Hi guys, I am trying to install some packages for my oracle 11g r2 installation, the below error shows up when I try below: warning: glibc-devel-2.5-24.i386.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 37017186 error: Failed dependencies: glibc-headers is needed by... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: messi777
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help me with basics

hello everyone i have to start with unix as it is a part of my training programme and i have to do a self study, i dont know where to start from. i need some basic questions to be answerd like why we use unix ? what is a terminal? what is an editor? why we write commands inside terminal? these... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aryancool
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Installing packages in Solaris 11

I want to install EMCpower (EMC Powerpath package) in Solaris 11. At most of the places, I can see procedure to install packages which comes with repository. This is third party tool, I have downloaded it to /var/tmp. How should I install it ? root@orapdps11 # pkg publisher PUBLISHER ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

Installing Linux packages

hi, I wants to customize the Linux packages after installting the Linux OS... I am not able to install the packages packages in GUI mode System-> Administration->add/remove software.i want to install some desktop and dabase related packages how do i install those packages... I use RHEL6.2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rahulne25
1 Replies
PK-DEBUGINFO-INSTA(1)						  [FIXME: manual]					     PK-DEBUGINFO-INSTA(1)

NAME
pk-debuginfo-install - Debugging Packages Installer SYNOPSIS
pk-debuginfo-install [--help] [--verbose] [--simulate] [--no-depends] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the pk-debuginfo-install command. pk-debuginfo-install is the command line client for installing debuginfo packages. WHY DO I NEED DEBUGINFO PACKAGES
? When a program crashes, it's often useful to send the developer a backtrace which contains symbol names and variable contents, rather than memory addresses. To make this possible, extra packages called debug packages can be installed. OPTIONS
This program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --help Show summary of options. --noninteractive Do not be interactive and skip the confirmation before the packages are installed. --verbose Show extra debugging information. --simulate Don't actually install any packages, only simulate what would be installed. --no-depends Do not scan for, or install dependencies of the core packages. --quiet Do not display information or progress to the terminal. RETURN VALUES
0 Success, at least one package was installed 1 Failed with miscellaneous internal error. 3 Failed to get software sources list. 4 Failed to enable software sources. 5 Failed as nothing to do. 6 Failed to find dependent packages. 7 Failed to install. 8 Failed to disable software sources. SEE ALSO
pkmon (1). pkcon(1). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Richard Hughes <richard@hughsie.com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Richard Hughes [FIXME: source] 29 July,2009 PK-DEBUGINFO-INSTA(1)