Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Difference between 2 files, one with 1 column and 2nd file with multiple columns Post 302898954 by rishifrnds on Friday 25th of April 2014 07:18:29 AM
Old 04-25-2014
hey,

i dont know how to open a new thread , hence posting here, coz my question is related.
i want to compare 2 similar files. if the contents are same then i want to echo "no new data added OR files are same". if some new data is added, or there is difference in file, i want to print on difference , also save the difference in some third file.
[code]
file a:
name : xyz
address : pqr, st
profession : engg

file b:
name : xyz
address : pqr, st
profession : engg ETC // extra words added wrt file a
job : project engg // extra line added wrt file a

output file c :
profession : engg ETC // diff part is highlighted to differentiate to file a
job : project engg // extra line printed, since added line wrt file a

[\code]

Please enlighten.

Thanks and Regards,
Rishi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging columns from multiple files in one file

Hi, I want to select columns from multiple files and combine them in one file. The files are simulation-data-files with 23 columns each and about 50 rows. I now use: cut -f 11 Sweep?wing-30?scale=0.?0?fan2?.txt | pr -3 | awk '{printf("\n%s\t%s\t%s",$1,$2,$3)}' > ../Data_Processed/output.txtI... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: isgoed
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing out 2nd column into one file from multiple files

I have several files that are being generated every 20 minutes. Each file contains 2 columns. The 1st column is Text, 2nd column is Data. I would like to generate one single file from all these files as follows: One instance of 1st column Text, followed by 2nd column Data separated by... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhap
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing the 2nd column in two different files and printing corresponding 9th columns in new file

Dear Gurus, I am very new to UNIX. I appreciate your help to manage my files. I have 16 files with equal number of columns in it. Each file has 9 columns separated by space. I need to compare the values in the second column of first file and obtain the corresponding value in the 9th column... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining columns from multiple files to one file

I'm trying to combine colums from multiple file to a single file but having some issues, appreciate your help. The filenames are the same except for the extension, path1.m0 --------- a b c d e f g h i path1.m1 --------- m n o p q r s t u File names are path1.m The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkmca
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract columns from multiple files with a file name as heading

Hi All, I have 7 files, each containing 9 columns separated by space. I want to extract the 9th columns from every file and save in a new file. The columns must be pasted next to each other. And the title of each columns should be the name of the corresponding files! Since the 3rd column is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing column of two different files and print the column from in order of 2nd file

Hi friends, My file is like: Second file is : I need to print the rows present in file one, but in order present in second file....I used while read gh;do awk ' $1=="' $gh'" {print >> FILENAME"output"} ' cat listoffirstfile done < secondfile but the output I am... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: CAch
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join 2nd column of multiple files

Dear All, I have many files formatted like this: file1.txt: 1/2-SBSRNA4 18 A1BG 3 A1BG-AS1 6 A1CF 0 A2LD1 1 A2M 1160 file2.txt 1/2-SBSRNA4 53 A1BG 1 A1BG-AS1 7 A1CF 0 A2LD1 3 A2M 2780 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paolo.kunder
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining certain columns of multiple files into one file

Hello Unix gurus, I have a large number of files (say X) each containing two columns of data and the same number of rows. I would like to combine these files to create a unique merged file containing X columns corresponding to the second column of each file (with a bonus of having the first... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksennin
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste columns based on common column: multiple files

Hi all, I've multiple files. In this case 5. Space separated columns. Each file has 12 columns. Each file has 300-400K lines. I want to get the output such that if a value in column 2 is present in all the files then get all the columns of that value and print it side by side. Desired output... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: genome
15 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to copy a column of multiple files and paste into new excel file (next to column)?

I have data of an excel files as given below, file1 org1_1 1 1 2.5 100 org1_2 1 2 5.5 98 org1_3 1 3 7.2 88 file2 org2_1 1 1 2.5 100 org2_2 1 2 5.5 56 org2_3 1 3 7.2 70 I have multiple excel files as above shown. I have to copy column 1, column 4 and paste into a new excel file as... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshkumarsrk
26 Replies
vdiff(1)							    ShapeTools								  vdiff(1)

NAME
vdiff - display line-by-line differences between versions of files SYNOPSIS
vdiff [ diff-options ] [ -base path ] [ -P ] files .. DESCRIPTION
vdiff is a differential comparator for file versions that are stored in shapeTools' object base, AtFS. The functionality of vdiff is very similar to the diff command on your host. All options and switches that are recognized by diff can also be specified for vdiff. The arguments to vdiff can either be a single filename, or a pair of version identifiers. If only a filename is specified, vdiff prints the differences between the specified file and the most recent version of this file that is stored in the AtFS object base. A file can be com- pared to any stored version by specifying the version as first, and the filename as second argument. If both arguments are version identi- fiers, the difference between these two versions is printed. Differences between files and versions can be printed in any style that is supported by the local diff program. Version identifiers consist of the filename, and a version number or alias name for a version, enclosed in brackets. Example: retrieve.c[4.22] or retrieve.c[Rel-4.1] vdiff creates temporary copies of the versions that shall be compared, invokes the diff command, and finally removes the temporary copies. OPTIONS
-base path If vdiff is told to produce a context diff, the filenames of the compared objects are mangeled so that the specified path replaces the path of the current directory in the full pathnames appearing in the diff-header. This is useful to replace an absolute pathname by a relative pathname and makes the produced context-diff easier to digest for the patch program. -P With the -P switch turned on, vdiff won't give up if one of the two objects that shall be compared does not exist. In this case an empty object is substituted for the missing one, causing the diff to be the complete contents of the existing object. This is useful in situations when complex patches are produced that upgrade one release of a software system to a new release, and the system has structurally changed (i.e. new files have been added to the system). SEE ALSO
diff(1), vcat(1) AUTHOR
Axel.Mahler@cs.tu-berlin.de vc_scripts-2.5 Tue Jun 29 16:42:06 1993 vdiff(1)