Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Help with Execl system call in a C program? Post 302898781 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 24th of April 2014 01:36:29 AM
Old 04-24-2014
The exec() in the kernel uses a simple rule, like the rules in /etc/magic. While /etc/magic is only used by the file command.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to differentiate system call from library call

Hi, Ho do I differentiate system call from library call? for example if I am using chmod , how do I find out if it is a system call or library call? Thanks Muru (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muru
2 Replies

2. Programming

parent not waiting until child complete executing another program through execl()

Hi, I am calling a program that greps and returns 72536 bytes of data on STDOUT, say about 7000 lines of data on STDOUT. I use pipe from the program am calling the above program. Naturally, I execute the above program (through execl() ) throught the child process and try to read the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvaidyan
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to call another program

Hi, I would like to know how to call a program "cmp_size" ... where to put in progam to run it ex: program checkdisk is below, and it will call a nother problem "cmp_size" Do I just put the cmp_size program at the end of this program. Thank you very much, # check all directory for size... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xitrum
3 Replies

4. Programming

A question about the system call mount in a C program

Dear all, Currently I'm working on a C program (OS = ubuntu 9.0.4)in which a USB key will be mounted and umounted for several times. I read the man page of the mount system call. I use the following test code #include <sys/mount.h> int main(int argc, char *argv) { if... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dariyoosh
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run shell script from C program by calling fork and execl

I need to write a c program that uses the fork and excel system calls to run the shell script mode invoked like this: "./mode 644 ls -l" (that is the argumetns will always be 644 ls -l) here's the mode script: #!/bin/sh octal="$1" shift find . -maxdepth 1 -perm $octal -exec $@ {} \; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: computethis
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call a mainframe program

Is it possible to call a mainframe program in UNIX script. I am using HP-UNIX. If so can any let me know the way to do it. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atlantis
1 Replies

7. Programming

Notification email in C program, via system call? or?

Hello everyone! I'm quite new here, but this forum helped me a lot before without registering :-) I'll go directly to my problem, I have been searching a bit about this issue but I was not successful. I need to write a program in C code to notificate me (to my email) when some action is done... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: RoNNo
7 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

program to send messages to parent using pipes and select system call

Write a program using select, which will create some number of child processes that continuously send text messages to the parent process using pipes. Each child has its own pipe that it uses to communicate with the parent. The parent uses select () to decide what pipes should be processed to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ripssingh
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf before execl system call

main() { printf("before execl"); execl("/home/nirmala/os/fact","fact"); printf("this line will not be printed"); } for the above program ,the obj file of fact.c is getting loaded correctly.am getting the output as... factorial =6 but in ouput am not getting the string given in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pnirmala
2 Replies

10. Programming

call program

I would need to call the program 'ethtool' in my C++ program, does anyone know how to do that (if its even possible)? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Freaky123
1 Replies
fileutil::magic::cgen(3tcl)					  file utilities				       fileutil::magic::cgen(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
fileutil::magic::cgen - Generator core for compiler of magic(5) files SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.4 package require fileutil::magic::cgen ?1.0? package require fileutil::magic::rt ?1.0? package require struct::tree package require struct::list ::fileutil::magic::cgen::2tree script ::fileutil::magic::cgen::treedump tree ::fileutil::magic::cgen::treegen tree node _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides the generator backend for a compiler of magic(5) files into recognizers based on the fileutil::magic::rt recognizer runtime package. For the compiler frontend using this generator see the package fileutil::magic::cfront. COMMANDS
::fileutil::magic::cgen::2tree script This command converts the recognizer specified by the script into a tree and returns the object command of that tree as its result. It uses the package struct::tree for the tree. The script is in the format specified by magic(5). ::fileutil::magic::cgen::treedump tree This command takes a tree as generated by ::fileutil::magic::cgen::2tree and returns a string encoding the tree for human consump- tion, to aid in debugging. ::fileutil::magic::cgen::treegen tree node This command takes a tree as generated by ::fileutil::magic::cgen::2tree and returns a Tcl script, the recognizer for the file types represented by the sub-tree rooted at the node. The generated script makes extensive use of the commands provided by the recognizer runtime package fileutil::magic::rt to perform its duties. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category fileutil :: magic of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
file(1), fileutil, magic(5) KEYWORDS
file recognition, file type, file utilities, mime, type CATEGORY
Programming tools fumagic 1.0 fileutil::magic::cgen(3tcl)